PROGRESS!

http://ubuntuone.com/p/tLA/
Will read this update, tomorrow. I have the link bookmarked so I can read it soon. Keep up the good work.
Raylin wrote:
Exccellent! Gogogogogo progress.
I have read all of the chapters, alas I am not a editor so I can't help you on the editing, but I have noticed that it is written very smoothly, one idea going to the next, which makes me want to read more. I really like It so far and enjoy how there are two stories going on at the moment and know that somehow they tie in, I enjoy the creativity and am wanting to keep reading this excellent book. Great job and continue the great book. I really enjoy the mythology you have created as the author. I like chapter 3, A dark knight in Bane is an intriguing title and makes me like it. Chapter 2 does seem a bit short and to the point.
Keep up you are doing good.
I will continue to read and write feedbacks for you.
I cannot wait for the next chapter.
Would anyone like to do some advanced formatting in LaTeX for the book? I would some things done and I'm afraid I don't know how. This things would include the following:

*Custom chapter font
*More margin assistance
*Possibly some new serif fonts
Sorry I don't do LaTeX.
Raylin wrote:
Would anyone like to do some advanced formatting in LaTeX for the book? I would some things done and I'm afraid I don't know how. This things would include the following:

*Custom chapter font
*More margin assistance
*Possibly some new serif fonts
Those are all quite easy to do. What stylesheet are you using as your base?
Just the simple book class, I think.
It's one of the defaults.

Also, there has been more progress. Slow and steady seems to be winning the race.

Another author also gave me advice! Very Happy

Her name is Zoe Marriott; check her out and what have you.

Quote:
Hi everyone! Happy Monday to you all - I hope you had wonderful weekends. Today I'm tackling a couple of questions from readers again.

First of all is nineteen year old Ray, who contacted me via email. He's just about to finish his science fiction novel, and says:

"I'm scared. I'm scared that my book will just flop and not sell. Is that normal? I mean, I want at least a few copies to sell once I publish it. What do I do if they don't sell? Did you ever share this fear? Sorry if I'm being a nervous Nettie; it's just that I am. Nervous, that is."

Welcome to the club, Ray. Being a Nervous Nettie seems to be an inescapable part of being a writer. I seriously don't know a single one who doesn't struggle with obsessively worrying about some part of the process. And I think that's because the reason most of us are writers (especially science fiction and fantasy writers!) is that we are, to a greater or lesser degree, control freaks. Making the transition from avid reader to writer is all about control. We want to invent our own worlds and characters and become a kind of god over our own creations. Nothing wrong with that! It's natural, and what's more, FUN.

The problem is that once the writing is over and we send our book out into the world - the world where it will be judged by agents, editors, readers, critics - we are completely kissing goodbye to control. You can't influence the way anyone reacts to your work, or their emotions as they read it, in any way other than by writing the best book you have in you. Some people will love it, others will be indifferent, and some will hate it with a fiery passion. Worse, many people will misunderstand it, and attribute motives and ideas to you, the writer, based on that misunderstanding. It's enough to drive anyone right up the wall and out of the chimney.

The only way to survive with your stomach lining intact? Admit to yourself that there's nothing you can do about it. I'm serious. It's the only way.

What you're focusing on here, Ray, is the aspect of publishing that you have the LEAST control over. Yes, once you've gotten published you can promote your work, offer yourself to your publisher for events or arrange these yourself, get 'swag' items made up, do contests online, blog - but I think it's been proved fairly conclusively at this point that none of this really makes a difference. Writers who suck the marrow from their own bones to promote often enjoy only modest sales, and writers who do nothing at all find themselves shot to stardom through word-of-mouth. Fantastic books that deserve to be bestsellers sink without a trace, and badly written, derivative ones end up being translated into fifty languages and turned into smash hit movies.

There is nothing you can do about it.

So, in summary: Your worries are completely normal. But they are also the kind of worries which will only hurt you as a writer and a person, because obsessing over things outside your control is a leading cause of stress and unhappiness. Try to put these negative thoughts to the back of your mind and just write the best book you can, and cross your fingers. That's all any writer can really do.
Your book will sell, I will buy a copy. Smile
Just got a dose of clarity. Expect an update soon.
UPDATE!

Read about it here.
Possible revival.
Read it here.

EDIT: I apologize for the HTML export. Celtx is a stupid program and I don't like it. Switching the link to PDF.
Raylin wrote:
Possible revival.
Read it here.

EDIT: I apologize for the HTML export. Celtx is a stupid program and I don't like it. Switching the link to PDF.
As always, sounds excellent. You need to stop throwing out material. Sad

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 7 of 7
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours