Rhombus P. wrote:
i still went to school, but i lived on the other side of the country at that time (California)
Ah, that makes sense. You were still dismissed from school early, you said?
no i was not. but everyone was like a planes going to fly into our school! (i had just started 2nd grade so we didn;t really understand what was going on)
I was in 8th grade (i think). There was an announcement that no teacher was allowed to turn on a television under any circumstances. Then people's parents kept showing up and taking them home. I didn't find out what had happened until the highschool kids on the bus told me.
I felt nothing, and I still feel nothing..
Dontar wrote:
I felt nothing, and I still feel nothing..

did you really feel that way?
I was 8 at the time... I can't recall what grade I was exactly in, but I remember that the sky was just pure blue that morning - not a cloud in sight.

I figured something was up when teachers received a note in the middle of the day. Some kids went home early, I didn't. When I got home, My sisters and I were told not to turn on the tv. I thought I was in trouble... My parents told us at dinner about what had happened.

I definitely think that 9/11 will be "our" Pearl Harbor. Overall Unexpected and on our soil.
im too petty and selfish to care about what happened..

it didnt effect me, I had no family in or around the area so I lost no one..

only time I get upset is when I see how people hurt and abuse animals....I swear, Im gonna shoot every animal abuser in the back, if they dont die, the bullet will sever their spinal cord, paralyzing them
I think I was just finishing school at the time. (that is, altogether) It seems like so long ago now. I didn't realize what happened until someone told me. I never watch the news; it's pointless to worry about things that can't be changed, or anticipate disasters that can't be averted. Even if the world ends tomorrow morning, don't wake me for it.

I sympathize for everyone affected by this tragedy, but I never thought it was productive to continue on with memorial services and anniversaries. The entire purpose of this act was to instill terror, and as long as we have to be reminded year after year, that's the effective legacy it will have.
I agree completely Zera.

I was 11 at the time, actually. I was home schooled so I woke up late and came downstairs. I walked into my family room when the second tower was hit as my Dad was standing there watching the TV screens with tears in his eyes yelling.

It wasn't traumatic because of 9/11, it was traumatic to see my father traumatized. I agree completely with Zera here, though. I sympathize for everyone, but I've never seen the point in getting upset about it or continuing memorial services or anniversaries. Like Dontar, I wasn't affected directly. No one I knew died, and no one I knew had someone they knew die.
Dontar wrote:
only time I get upset is when I see how people hurt and abuse animals....I swear, Im gonna shoot every animal abuser in the back, if they dont die, the bullet will sever their spinal cord, paralyzing them

yes, those people who think they are cool or tough because they abuse harmless animals. I mean, what the hell did the animals do? They dont understand what you are doing....
Zera wrote:
I think I was just finishing school at the time. (that is, altogether) It seems like so long ago now. I didn't realize what happened until someone told me. I never watch the news; it's pointless to worry about things that can't be changed, or anticipate disasters that can't be averted. Even if the world ends tomorrow morning, don't wake me for it.

I sympathize for everyone affected by this tragedy, but I never thought it was productive to continue on with memorial services and anniversaries. The entire purpose of this act was to instill terror, and as long as we have to be reminded year after year, that's the effective legacy it will have.
I don't really agree with you there. It was a terrifying experience for many, especially people in New York City, and reminded us that powerful and awesome as our nation/city is in most cases, it's not invulnerable. I feel like no one fully internalized what exactly happened that day, and that memorials and anniversaries are a way to try to come to peace with what happened and draw strength and solidarity from it.
I was getting a drink of water from the water fountain (I was first in line!) and I overheard my teacher (3rd grade) talking about it to another teacher.
Pseudoprogrammer wrote:
I was getting a drink of water from the water fountain (I was first in line!) and I overheard my teacher (3rd grade) talking about it to another teacher.
Then what happened with the rest of the day? Did you stay in school for a while and then get sent home early?
I was in my first grade class. We were sitting there and the Assistant Principal ran in and yelled "TURN TO CHANNEL 21" because we had TV's in our schools, so our teacher did, and in first grade, we watched it. It was pretty stupid because when you see people jumping out of buildings in first grade, it messes you up.
Kerm: no, they didn't tell us.
Svakk wrote:
I was in my first grade class. We were sitting there and the Assistant Principal ran in and yelled "TURN TO CHANNEL 21" because we had TV's in our schools, so our teacher did, and in first grade, we watched it. It was pretty stupid because when you see people jumping out of buildings in first grade, it messes you up.
For sure, that was definitely not the right way to handle it. I think Pseudo's teachers and faculty had it closer to right, wouldn't you agree, Svakk?
Yeah they never mentioned it to us. Let our parents tell us. I only found out because I was a nosy eavesdropper of a student.
Pseudoprogrammer wrote:
Yeah they never mentioned it to us. Let our parents tell us. I only found out because I was a nosy eavesdropper of a student.
And did you tell your classmates what you had found out, or keep it to yourself? Come to think of it, what did you think you had found out?
Well I was in 3rd grade, and I heard the teacher say "Some terrorists just crashed a plane into the World Trade Center" to another teacher with a rather astounded look. I didn't know what the world trade center was and didn't quite know what a terrorist was either, so I didn't know what to make of the situation. Didn't tell anyone, never occurred to me to.
I was in 5th grade, same grade as my brother is right now, I don't remember well what I did but I remember seeing the towers at the news getting destroyed, maybe during dinner time, then talked about that at school after.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours