I figured since everyone is on a CFL orgy(My dad bought two 12-packs and went apes--- replacing every light in the godd--- house), I should make one of these. It's suitable anywhere my Incandescent bulb fits, and has both a "lit" and unlit version since the squiggly shape doesn't work as well with flares as my old bulb.

Uploading to the archives now...

Edit by Merth for language
Is there any way to make the seams less noticeable in on both versions as they are rather distracting.
TheStorm wrote:
Is there any way to make the seams less noticeable in on both versions as they are rather distracting.
ShizTec, eh? Laughing I agree with TheStorm, the seams are far too distracting. I like your choice of map to demo the bulbs in, though. Smile
the zip includes the ms3d if you wanna take a stap at fixing them. I suppose I could try a few tricks, though it might raise the polycount significantly.

Here. I nearly doubled the polycount, but fixed the holes:
Yeah, the seams are still pretty bad, I'd say that current itteration is not worth the increase in poly's unless you can make the seams less noticable.
I rejected your upload because it was a new file. Go to your current version in the archives, go to the bottom, and click Upload New Version.
Do the seems represent separate meshes? because it seems like snapping&welding the vertices together could help with that dramatically.
elfprince13 wrote:
Do the seems represent separate meshes? because it seems like snapping&welding the vertices together could help with that dramatically.
That's what I thought too; I was a bit confused why extra polies were needed to fill the gaps
I used extra polys because I'm too lazy to select, snap, and weld the vertices, due to it's sheer complexity. Instead I just copied and inverted the mesh to fill the gaps, which I know, is a terribly wasteful way to do it, but it was a pain in the @ss getting that far, and I was getting tired of working on this model. Especially since it was 3 in the morning. Sources are included in the download in the archives though if you feel it would be a useful model worth taking a stab at fixing, and not just a waste of time.
DShiznit wrote:
I used extra polys because I'm too lazy to select, snap, and weld the vertices, due to it's sheer complexity. Instead I just copied and inverted the mesh to fill the gaps, which I know, is a terribly wasteful way to do it, but it was a pain in the @ss getting that far, and I was getting tired of working on this model. Especially since it was 3 in the morning. Sources are included in the download in the archives though if you feel it would be a useful model worth taking a stab at fixing, and not just a waste of time.

I'm a big fan of hiding the portions of a mesh I'm not working on, which makes seam fixing go super duper quick. Do you have the version of the model from before you added a butt-load of extra polys?
No, but the extra polys are all in one duplicate mesh that's pretty easy to delete. The squiggly is all one group now though, so I'm not sure if it individual parts can be hidden.
Yeah they can, you do a box-select around any random set of vertices.....
I'll have to take a look.
elfprince13 wrote:
I assume you're both talking about Milkshape in this case?
KermMartian wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
I assume you're both talking about Milkshape in this case?

Yes, though the same is true of blender Wink
So out of curiosity, what ever happened with this? Did you get a chance to try welding the vertices?
not yet, I just haven't cared enough, and I still have my zombie defense game I'm working on.
DShiznit wrote:
not yet, I just haven't cared enough, and I still have my zombie defense game I'm working on.
Aight, that's fair. Until Elfprince (and CyberPrime?) get the engine further along and more people start making maps, there's no big rush to fix it.
DShiznit wrote:
If you could get a zombie gamemode setup as a mod I would for sure make a dedi for it. lego dudes fighting wave after wave of zombie bots sounds fun.
TheStorm wrote:
DShiznit wrote:
If you could get a zombie gamemode setup as a mod I would for sure make a dedi for it. lego dudes fighting wave after wave of zombie bots sounds fun.
That's not exactly what his game is. Razz I don't know if it would be something you would want to host.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours