KermMartian wrote:
WhiteValkery, we absolutely appreciate the enthusiasm, thanks! I hope that this topic will help other people with a similar problem who find it via Google. Smile

yeap!
and perhaps this topic will even get those people to join us Smile
elfprince13 wrote:
What? ActionListeners are bad?

I mean the stupid, stupid decision to not have function pointers thus requiring anything that's a callback to use an interface.

A decision they are *finally* correcting with lambdas (which, due to the nature of being added so late, look awkward and dumb). Maybe in another decade they'll figure out that operator overloading is a pretty nifty idea - and then implement it in a totally stupid manor as well.

Quote:
Kllrnohj wrote:

Attributes in Python also resolve to functions that return a function that replaces the function that has the attribute, which is pretty awesome if a bit confusing.

This is, iirc, the ability to define custom getters and setters for data in new-style classes, right?

Sorry, I meant decorators

Code:

@Cached
def calc(a, b):
    return a + b

The "@Cached" part is a decorator. You can learn about them here: http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0318/
Oh, decorators are win, I thought you were talking about descriptors.
Kllrnohj wrote:
and then implement it in a totally stupid manor as well.
You don't like houses? Laughing

I too am quite bothered by the lack of operator overloading in Java, the lack of lambda functions until recently, and the insistence that everything with a callback be an interface. I spent many an evening preparing for my Java class wondering how Java missed so many important design decisions to be non-awkward.
Don't forget about the lack of unsigned types, generics via type erasure, checked exceptions, inability to switch on strings and int/Integer lunacy. C# is Java done right. Wink
benryves wrote:
Don't forget about the lack of unsigned types

THIS is the one that ticks me off.
Quote:
int/Integer lunacy

The real problem in this case is that primitive types are second class citizens.

Quote:
C# is Java done right. Wink

Get out.
elfprince13 wrote:
Quote:
C# is Java done right. Wink

Get out.
It's unsurprising as it's from the same bloke who developed J++. As such it takes a lot of the good ideas from Java and also has the advantage of being able to learn from Java's mistakes.
personally i find java to be tooooooooo slow haha XD
I'm with Ben, here.
benryves wrote:
Don't forget about the lack of unsigned types, generics via type erasure, checked exceptions, inability to switch on strings and int/Integer lunacy. C# is Java done right. Wink
Oh absolutely, I'm with you on that. Come on, what kind of language doesn't have unsigned types?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours