I've been on this quest for a while; to find an internet program for your TI-83+ or TI-84+! Heck, a cell phone can do it, I'd imagine a calculator could, having a higher processing power. Anyways, does anyone have an idea/program to make this happen? I realize it would be slow, like dial-up, but could it be done? And how would you send for and receive html's? Anyone?
Here's a telnet client. Connect your calculator to a modem, then dial into a remote computer that's running a text-mode web browser.

Mobile phones have significantly higher processing power than the calculator, and even then can struggle with rendering HTML. (My old handset runs Quake, but more than a couple of tabs in the web browser can result in an "out of memory" error).
interesting... weird if phones have a higher processing power than calculators, then why cant calculators, being phisically larger, fit at least as much proccessing power if not more? Idea hey i wonder if an antenae could be made for a TI84 for wireless i-net...
rcplanegy wrote:
ive been on this quest for a while; to find an internet program for your calculator! Heck, a cell phone can do it, id imagine a calculator could, haveing a higher proccessing power... anyways, does anyone have an idea/program to make this happen? i realize it would be slow, like dial-up, but could it be done? and how would you send for and receive html's? Anyone?
As Benryves said, there is an old Telnet program that someone wrote for calculators, but as far as true TCP/IP drivers, nothing has really been done. BrandonW has sporadically worked on USB WiFi dongles with the calculators, only to discover that they don't have the processing power to really handle wireless networking using standardized computer protocols. There was a vaporware project called the "RadioLinc" that was fairly unwieldy and complex to build for a beginner. I've been working on a networking project called CALCnet (see screenshots here and a video of CALCnet2.2 here) for networking calculators together, and I have a future planned part of it called globalCALCnet (gCn) to connect CALCnet networks to the internet, but this would generally still require a computer intermediary.
rcplanegy wrote:
why cant calculators, being phisically larger, fit at least as much proccessing power if not more?
The same reason that microwave ovens, being physically larger than most mobile phones*, don't have phone-beating processing power; it's not necessary. These calculators don't need huge amounts of processing power to run the software that they are designed for, so low-end hardware is sufficient.

Part of the issue we ran into with gCn the first time around was the implementation of drivers+hardware for communication between the host computer and the calculator network.
Indeed we did. Recent developments have revealed that we may be able to individually toggle the electrical states of the lines with libticables and the SilverLink (but not with the direct USB link), although there's still always the microcontroller route. Even cooler would be a microcontroller with an ethernet module to eliminate the computer middleman entirely. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
Part of the issue we ran into with gCn the first time around was the implementation of drivers+hardware for communication between the host computer and the calculator network.
Indeed we did. Recent developments have revealed that we may be able to individually toggle the electrical states of the lines with libticables and the SilverLink (but not with the direct USB link), although there's still always the microcontroller route. Even cooler would be a microcontroller with an ethernet module to eliminate the computer middleman entirely. Smile

The problem with that is we'd then have to implement an http client on the microcontroller to interface with Cemetech, at least if the cross-network functionality is implemented in the same way as originally planned.
Not really imho. Cemetech and its associated servers could do all of the necessary summarizing and encapsulation and pass off data to the microcontroller bridges ready to be directly distributed to the calculator endpoints. Similarly, the bridges could return encapsulated raw data from the calculators for the Cemetech servers to interpret and act upon.
KermMartian wrote:
Not really imho. Cemetech and its associated servers could do all of the necessary summarizing and encapsulation and pass off data to the microcontroller bridges ready to be directly distributed to the calculator endpoints. Similarly, the bridges could return encapsulated raw data from the calculators for the Cemetech servers to interpret and act upon.

Do your hosting providers let you run your own server daemons on arbitrary ports? O_o
elfprince13 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

Do your hosting providers let you run your own server daemons on arbitrary ports? O_o
No, but I have quite a few other servers and machines at my disposal, as you may recall. Smile
gcn?
global calc net
no, I mean "how about GCN?"
How about C2I? Smile
alberthrocks wrote:
How about C2I? Smile
Let's go with a project that's actually shown some progress thus far. Wink But yeah, globalCALCnet is probably the best bet for something like this, in response to Qazz's statement slash query.
... so calcnet... does it work for basic html veiwing? i understand quite a bit of computer talk, but this stuff is over my head... calc net says it works as dial up, so does it really work?
I've been thinking about writing a web browser for the calculator with a USB WiFi adapter, and have some special calc-only tags, such as to display sprite images and such.
nice... id like to see that... and hey, an idea came to me, could there be some sort of 'plug and play' RAM extension? like a mini driver i guess, to expand the ram settings of the calc through the USB port that would be useful in this situation...
It wouldn't be directly supported by the hardware, and individual programs would have to specifically use it. It would also be slow as hell.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours