ok... so i can't run python 2.7 IDLE on my newer computer that is running windows vista it would seem :/

can anyone help me with this? i have tired almost everything...
when i double click it or try to run it from the start menu, nothing happens... Sad

p.s. UAC is off.... but it still doesn't start...
Try opening up a command windows and running "python". It's possible that it's instantly returning because you're not giving it anything to run...
no... not that...
i was trying to run IDLE aka the one that looks like this:

the one used for programing and testing...
it worked fine on my old computer... but simply doesn't start on vista
If I do Win-R, cmd, then "c:\Program Files\Python31\python.exe", I get that exact same thing...
KermMartian wrote:
If I do Win-R, cmd, then "c:\Program Files\Python31\python.exe", I get that exact same thing...

yeah... and that just doesn't seem to open on windows vista for some reason...
and its actually pythonw.exe
Both work for me. Smile And obviously yours would be python27.exe. Have you tried some of the troubleshooting things like running it as an admin or running in Compatibility Mode for XP?
KermMartian wrote:
Both work for me. Smile And obviously yours would be python27.exe. Have you tried some of the troubleshooting things like running it as an admin or running in Compatibility Mode for XP?

i tried them...

currently i can only work with it in the "real... -.-" administrator account on vista...

so i was wondering if there is any way to run it in the normal admin accounts...

i am sooo pissed at microsoft for this stupidity... :/
Where did you download it from? The installer works for me (selecting "IDLE (Python GUI)" from the start menu). No need to run in compatibility mode or as an administrator, nor disable UAC (not that you should disable UAC, in any case).

Edit: And why would it be Microsoft's fault? Confused
benryves wrote:
Where did you download it from? The installer works for me (selecting "IDLE (Python GUI)" from the start menu). No need to run in compatibility mode or as an administrator, nor disable UAC (not that you should disable UAC, in any case).

Edit: And why would it be Microsoft's fault? Confused

when i double click the IDLE the mouse turns to the working thing for a few seconds and then nothing else happens....

p.s. wow... and the same thing happens to the admin account too now... T.T HOW AM I SUPPOSE TO FINISH MY ASSINMENT NOW!? SOB SOB...

a YOU MICROSOFT!!!
Er, I think your anger should be directed at the Python people, not Microsoft. In any case, it should work just fine on Vista (it also works on 7, apparently, which is much the same). Try uninstalling it fully then reinstalling it using the link in my post.

Edit: As a quick fix, try this: open a command prompt, type cd %homepath% then rmdir /s .idlerc
benryves wrote:
Er, I think your anger should be directed at the Python people, not Microsoft. In any case, it should work just fine on Vista (it also works on 7, apparently, which is much the same). Try uninstalling it fully then reinstalling it using the link in my post.

Edit: As a quick fix, try this: open a command prompt, type cd %homepath% then rmdir /s .idlerc

wow...
that did the trick! Idea

how the heck did you know about that?
or should i ask... what did that cmd command do?
i never really used cmd

EDIT: almost forgot to say this btw... THANKS!!!

p.s. i like microsoft... just not vista lol
I noticed that IDLE created the .idlerc settings folder in my documents folder (which is not the correct way to store settings on Windows). I hid the folder which prevented the software from starting as per your description. Why, I don't know, but it seems to have fairly fragile settings-loading code.

Those commands switch to the root of your documents folder (cd = change directory) and then removes the problematic .idlerc directory (rmdir = remove directory). As .idlerc contains other files or folders you need to use the /s switch to delete the files and folders inside it too (rmdir by default will only delete empty directories).
benryves wrote:
I noticed that IDLE created the .idlerc settings folder in my documents folder (which is not the correct way to store settings on Windows). I hid the folder which prevented the software from starting as per your description. Why, I don't know, but it seems to have fairly fragile settings-loading code.

Those commands switch to the root of your documents folder (cd = change directory) and then removes the problematic .idlerc directory (rmdir = remove directory). As .idlerc contains other files or folders you need to use the /s switch to delete the files and folders inside it too (rmdir by default will only delete empty directories).

ohh.... i see..
thanks! Smile
It'd probably be a lot easier to just run python off a unix/linux shell server somewhere.
allynfolksjr wrote:
It'd probably be a lot easier to just run python off a unix/linux shell server somewhere.
A rare helpful suggestion from Nikky. Do you have access to such a thing, WhiteValkery?
KermMartian wrote:
allynfolksjr wrote:
A rare helpful suggestion from Nikky. Do you have access to such a thing, WhiteValkery?

most certainly not... -.-

although i have thought of running it on vmware with windows xp or something... but i dont have an xp disk with me on campus... :/
Why would you need an xp disk to run linux in vmware?
souvik1997 wrote:
Why would you need an xp disk to run linux in vmware?
I think he wants to run Windows XP in the emulator, which is just silly. WhiteValkery, you should run Ubuntu 10.04 in VMWare Player. Razz If you haven't tried Linux before, sooner rather than later should be your motto.
KermMartian wrote:
If you haven't tried Linux before, sooner rather than later should be your motto.
Aye, better to get it over with quickly. Razz
benryves wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
If you haven't tried Linux before, sooner rather than later should be your motto.
Aye, better to get it over with quickly. Razz
What specifically turns/turned you off from Linux, Ben?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours