I used an IDE to make it, and that made it easier. I'm trying to think of what else went into it... It reads model files (blender can make that certain kind, I think) and projects a .png texture onto the object. I quit mainly because of problems I couldn't fix, like the shooting.
Very very nice epicfail Very Happy Is there a chance you could specify what you used to draw on the screen? I've been looking for one that's simple to use (the ones people typically link me to have crazy extra stuff to use).
_player1537 wrote:
Very very nice epicfail Very Happy Is there a chance you could specify what you used to draw on the screen? I've been looking for one that's simple to use (the ones people typically link me to have crazy extra stuff to use).
I'm equally curious about this, and how much of the engine you had to write from scratch vs. had available to you. Smile
yay! you made me procrastinate for a little bit with that EpicFail of a game
_player1537 wrote:

hr088730: hehe, that's my job!

Player+Kerm:
Well there is a zlib dll, that is mainly what is used to render iirc. The other dll's contain the engine (which isn't advanced at all). I had a friend named Steve Mcrea (I can't remember spelling, sorry Steve) that wrote the engine based off of another engine which was written from scratch. Since then , I believe the engine was included in a game of his. I got the models from various places, they are all just basic shapes, but any shape can be used.

This project is so old, projected release date was Halloween 2008 O_O

If I ever find the source files, I will most definitely post.

Looking back at this, a game like this would surely be impressive, should I try doing this?
I'd say it would certainly be an impressive game to try writing or re-writing, as long as it doesn't take you away from Clash of Dimensions II for too long. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
I'd say it would certainly be an impressive game to try writing or re-writing, as long as it doesn't take you away from Clash of Dimensions II for too long. Smile

Indeed, I might try. Since I can't get AI down, what would be the elements of this game? A maze? A puzzle? I can easily switch the game from 3d to 2d with a couple lines of command, and then back again for certain parts if needed.
xXEpicxXXxFailXx wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

Indeed, I might try. Since I can't get AI down, what would be the elements of this game? A maze? A puzzle? I can easily switch the game from 3d to 2d with a couple lines of command, and then back again for certain parts if needed.
A maze is often the classic raycaster demo program, so I think that would be a good place to start, personally.
If you don't mind, I'm going to try this too. I've been wanting to write a raycasting engine for... a very very long time. Granted, I don't want you to stop working on yours. I'm going to look up some documentation on zlib real quick Smile
_player1537 wrote:
If you don't mind, I'm going to try this too. I've been wanting to write a raycasting engine for... a very very long time. Granted, I don't want you to stop working on yours. I'm going to look up some documentation on zlib real quick Smile

Good luck, I've been looking for the engine documentation, but it is elusive. Whatever more I find out, I'll get to you.
Just to make sure, zlib is to draw on the screen right? Everywhere I have looked for docs, it has said something about compress() deflate() etc
_player1537 wrote:
Just to make sure, zlib is to draw on the screen right? Everywhere I have looked for docs, it has said something about compress() deflate() etc

I'm not sure to tell the truth, I didn't write the dll's.

You know C++ right?
Meh, I can learn it as I go. I know the basics. And I know C (kinda). Someone is probably going to come and say "C != C++"...
_player1537 wrote:
Meh, I can learn it as I go. I know the basics. And I know C (kinda). Someone is probably going to come and say "C != C++"...

Well I started learning it with AGS, which is a C++ variation, and it has a new 3d engine that looks good. I might actually use it, as it is C++.
Yeah, zlib1 is a compression routine... I'll look up ags now Razz
_player1537 wrote:
Yeah, zlib1 is a compression routine... I'll look up ags now Razz

I can get a link to it and the 3d addon, iff you would like it.
Please Smile

Edit: It seems Allegro (alleg42.dll) is the part that draws on the screen, just a guess though.
_player1537 wrote:
Please Smile

Edit: It seems Allegro (alleg42.dll) is the part that draws on the screen, just a guess though.

Probably...

Adventure Game Studio 3.2
There is the IDE.

And here is the topic with the 3d engine

I suggest you learn a bit of AGS's C++ before attempting the 3d plugin.
_player, so you're considering trying something like this now? Very Happy
ooh, flashy! i love the (EDIT:MS paint-esque) style. i'd love to see you finish/rewrite and make this better(and i'd better get moving with C++ if i want to catch up)

as for what quick prog to write: i think BenRyves idea was a great one. demos are always impressive and are easy to make on short notice as there is virtually no planning involved

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours