Here's what I made:

http://www.mediafire.com/?537x5rkac4ldh64

And here's what it looks like in-game

It's just a placeholder, with no animations, to make sure everything would orient correctly. Apparently it didn't. Any idea what could be causing this particular problem?
It seems to me in my AutoDesk VIZ experience modeling for TBM that adjusting that red/aqua/yellow set of axes to be oriented differently should do the trick, no? I'm assuming those are the world coordinates?
Build your game around the fact that your player lays flat on the ground the entire time.
CyberPrime wrote:
Build your game around the fact that your player lays flat on the ground the entire time.
Shock It's not a bug, it's a feature! I swear!
except I've never had to adjust the axis before, so I'd like to find out why the engine is doing this before I start building animations for a sideways player model...
I'm almost certain that Milkshape and Torque switch their y and z axises.
It's never happened like that before. I'll try re-exporting.
KermMartian wrote:
CyberPrime wrote:
Shock It's not a bug, it's a feature! I swear!

It was going to be a text to binary converter, but now I've created a new machine language! You see!? I'm a genius!
Nope, re-exporting didn't fix anything. I'll try exporting a test shape or two and spawn them as statics(I tried this with the player model already to no avail). While the labels of axises are indeed different between the two, their orientations have always been the same. This is the first time I've run into this problem, so I think it's something wrong with my model...

EDIT- a test object using the orc skeleton spawns correctly, so it has to be my model. Can anyone identify what part of my skeleton is causing this?(there's a download link in my first post)
That's really funky, but my intuition/memories of Milkshape say to rotate in the editor. If you don't want to risk messing up your current version, make a copy of the file and work from that. I *always* do that anyway as I go from mesh-editing to texturing to animation.
except that other shapes don't need to be rotated in the editor to export correctly, so it's unique to my skeleton. Could this be happening if my root bone got accidentally rotated?
I suppose that is a reasonable hypothesis. Give it a try.
Success! Like an idiot, I'd attached my root bone to the rest of the skeleton, which was above it, so it rotated 90 degrees, flipping the model.
Good stuff.
DShiznit wrote:
Success! Like an idiot, I'd attached my root bone to the rest of the skeleton, which was above it, so it rotated 90 degrees, flipping the model.
I'm very happy to hear that you figured that out. I remember running into a lot of similar problems making vehicles; I had to end up going through each shape and rotating the local axes to all match the global correct axis orientation before Torque would stop freaking out.
Well now I'm having another problem. When I import a run animation using player.cs(the one in the shapes folder), it works, albiet without stopping, but when I try to import my root animation, it hangs, as if to give me a "this program must close" error, but without showing anything but the loading screen, and without alt+tab or ctrl+alt+del working. Hitting a bunch of buttons including the spacebar seems to be the only way to get back to my desktop from this, and the console log shows nothing except creating a "clonebot", which I assume to be the player.

Here's the ms3d from which I exported the root animation:
http://www.mediafire.com/?77i33yyu85v7d7d

Are there options I'm supposed to, or not supposed to, use in the export screen in order for torque to accept the dsq?
O_o Never had that before. Can I see also your source for setting up the animations?
you mean the player.cs?

Code:

datablock TSShapeConstructor(PlayerDts)
{
   baseShape = "./humanPlaceholder.dts";
   sequence0 = "./human_root.dsq root";
   sequence1 = "./human_run.dsq run";
};   
That looks okay, but it may be worth checking the cyclicality/non-cyclicality and other export flags of your animations against my dragon. I think I still have a few animations that aren't exporting properly (or at least not playing nicely together), but the important ones work.
I'll take a look, thanks.

EDIT- I can't find the source for the dragon in the castlepack zip. Could you re-up it somewhere and link me?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours