DShiznit wrote:
Well a private tracker that advocates piracy, like demonoid or the pirate bay, isn't going to rat out their own users...
True, but if you're using a private tracker, then it's more likely you're doing something you know is illegal and are putting yourself on very shaky legal group if you are indeed doing something illegal (and of course IANAL). It seems to me your best bet is to just be legit. Smile
DShiznit wrote:
Well a private tracker that advocates piracy, like demonoid or the pirate bay, isn't going to rat out their own users...
The Pirate bay is not a private tracker by any sense of the word, in fact most of the torrents there are not even on TPB's trackers but on a third party server. Demonoid is only semi-private as well because you only need an account to dl the .torrent, they do no restricting on who actually connects to the tracker so if the people investigating the piracy get a torrent which has the info for a demonoid server your in no better shape.
KermMartian wrote:
It seems to me your best bet is to just be legit. Smile

Well yeah, that goes without saying, and I would if money wasn't an issue.

Although DRM still concerns me enough to make me wary of buying games that use particularly upsetting ones...
Don't like DRM? Sign up for the next Wolfire DRM-free indie games pack: http://www.wolfire.com/humble

Or preorder some awesome games like Natural Selection 2, Overgrowth, or Achron and start messing about with the alphas. NS2 and Achron both have playable alphas, and Overgrowth is just moving into working on the combat system after a long period of engine-tech development.
If I had money, I would totally do that, and because they're taking a stand against DRM I will make it a point to not pirate them, and I'll buy them if and when I can.
You should definitely sign up for the mailing list, because
a) They'll only email you about the next bundle
b) The last bundle was "pay what you want"

I saved up for a couple weeks for the Organic Bundle before that and got Overgrowth and NS2 together for only $40. Pretty awesome deal.
Limewire was facing a 75 Trillion USD Lawsuit, until the judge said something.

http://www.geekosystem.com/limewire-sued-75-trillion/
Quote:
“plaintiffs are suggesting an award that is more money than the entire music recording industry has made since Edison’s invention of the phonograph in 1877."

Surprised

Limewire is so powerful that it went back in time and stole money from Edison and the Phonograph!? Wow, I can't believe that's not a national asset or something.
I think they're implying that since it's invention, the music industry hasn't even earned 75 Trillion dollars.
I know. Sarcasm is a great thing, isn't it. Wink
The music industry needs to be beaten back with a rusty machete.
Rather amusingly, the CIA World Factbook estimates worldwide GDP (look under Economy->GDP) at about $74.5 trillion for 2010. They were effectively asking for all of Earth's money.
I wonder if they paid third graders to do their damages or something, because I find it difficult to believe that anyone is that stupid.

...oh, we're talking about the music industry. Never mind. I can genuinely believe that they'd be so completely idiotic as to ask for more money than was available for trade in the world last year. However, I would have been genuinely curious to see how they could possibly have justified bankrupting every nation on earth for a single lawsuit in which few people (if any) were actually hurt.
I've seen frivolous lawsuits that ask truly astronomical damages, like quadrillions or quintillions of dollars. Smile This is the same sort of ridiculous junk, except that the plaintiff is less frivolous.
lolwut. Is all I have to say about this.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours