Project Name: Oktober RPG:Seasons

Project Description:
You can choose from different races and classes:
Human, Elf, Dwarf, Gnome. And Fighter, Wizard, Cleric, Assasin, and ranger. There are 5different stats. atk (Melee Damage.), def (melee block), int (magical damage, chance of succeeding with magical attack), spd (initiative and chance of hitting opponent with melee), and hp (health).
There are days, weeks,seasons, then years. It works almost like real life, 7 days is a week, etc. Each 12 weeks, the season will cycle to the next, and new monsters will appear, and season specific ones will dissappear etc Also during each season, there will be different "quests" (really just collecting items to exchange for a reward) you can get and complete. You have the whole season to complete as many as possible. Once submitted you may choose to recieve a random quest for that season.

There are Items as well. There are 4 seasonal prizes, 4 seasonal prize materials (embers, leaves, clovers, snowballs), and a xp giving thng called a scroll (generic Razz).

You can level up, use items, fight monsters, play through seasons, and complete quests.

Done with Summer and Fall seasons. I need help with coming up with monsters for Spring and Winter.
Monster formats goes as:

"monster name->str5
{lvl,hp,atk,def,spd,chance of dropping items (out of 100)-> L1
and usually their stats are added witha random bonus as well to make the game harder.

*Note Season Monsters all have something they are good at ex. Summer has high attack, Fall has high speed, etc

Please let me know if you have any questions, comments, ideas or suggestions. Thank You.

(I'm not even sure if anybody will reply seeing as I'm just a low level BASIC coder.)

EDITS
oh and by the way i added the new mechanics to make the magical attacks fail, since magic ignores armor
Nice, a new RPG. Just make sure, though, that if it's one of your first project, to not make an extremly large game, though. Those can put a lot of burden on you if you are not used to them.

I like the ideas so far, will you have any screenshots showing it in action soon? Will it be more menu-based, ASCII-art or graphical?
Screenshots please!

Is this going to be Graphscreen based or Homescreen based?

edit: ninja'd by DJ
Hahaha yeah it is my first public project, that I plan to actually release to the general community. And yes its quite large. I estimate finished with all the data and player data, it'll be nearly 13k of RAM. So quite large. And to answer the question its menu based, unfortunately. No graphics at all, but this RPG aims at being more into different monsters and different "events" and turning it in to get a prize. So I tried to put in a new kind of spin to a regular old RPG system. And um being as it is my first public project, I don't know how to post screenies... XD heheh help????

Edit:
I guess since its all menus, Home screen?
You run an emulator such as WabbitEmu, and record screenshots with that.

Alternatively, if you don't have a ROM image for your calculator and if you are getting screenshots from a BASIC program you could use the Screen Capture utility in TI-Connect or TiLP.
Cool thanks Souvik! Ill try and get some screenshots on, although since its menus, and text it'll probably be boring.
souvik1997 wrote:
You run an emulator such as WabbitEmu, and record screenshots with that.

Alternatively, if you don't have a ROM image for your calculator and if you are getting screenshots from a BASIC program you could use the Screen Capture utility in TI-Connect or TiLP.
You can easily dump the ROM from your calculator using ROM8x.

ROM8x: http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/373/37341.html
WabbitEmu: http://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4610
Thanks Kerm! and well progress updates:
I finished some minor bugs with the Fall quests, and also finished bugging out the level up system to make things balanced.
I started on the Winter part of the seasons. PLEASE suggest ideas for monsters! Very Happy
I hope to have this game released right before Christmas!
I'm warming up to the calendar-based structure idea; I think this could be quite novel if you do it right. What kind of monster ideas are you looking for?
well each season has s different strength: ex Sumer is high damage, low health, and they drop summer items (embers or sun boxes)
Fall High speed, low defenses and drop fall items etc
I haven't done work on Winter or Spring so I'd appreciate any kind of help with monster stats and names (see the first post I made).
Thanks again Kerm!
I'm afraid that I'm not very creative at this kind of thing. You could take monster names from literature (for example, Lord of the Rings: Orcs), poetry (with a bit of spelling liberty, Jabberwoky? Borogroves? Moamwraiths?), myths and legends (Siren? Charybdis? Cyclops?), etc.
The game has been uploaded onto Cemetech archives. Check it out and feel free to comment. Only 2 seasons playable so far (but I doubt you'll play through Summer) Razz
0rac343 wrote:
The game has been uploaded onto Cemetech archives. Check it out and feel free to comment. Only 2 seasons playable so far (but I doubt you'll play through Summer) Razz
And just for the lazier users among us, here's the download link:

http://www.cemetech.net/programs/index.php?mode=file&path=/83/basic/games/Oktober%20RPG%20Beta3.zip
Yay! 4 downloads... ^^
0rac343 wrote:
Yay! 4 downloads... ^^
Eeek, I'll have to give it a try; sadly, I have not yet done so. Sad
KermMartian wrote:
0rac343 wrote:
Yay! 4 downloads... ^^
Eeek, I'll have to give it a try; sadly, I have not yet done so. Sad

It's okay, I don't really expect there to be many downloads anyway...
Sad sadly I'm not very well known and I have yet to breakthrough basic BASIC programming.
SHMIBS SLAYED A CHICKEN!
hmm...
i've never been much of one for text RPG's, but this definitely looks like you've put a lot of work into it. the transitions when defining your character are well done. "today was uneventful" and "bad luck, your treasure was stolen" seem to pop up often, but maybe that's just me being unlucky Razz. the one thing i can think of to suggest is maybe expanding upon the battle system, allowing different types of moves, etc, and maybe a plot, just to hold the player's attention through the level grinding.
That's not a bad suggestion at all; I'll give that a second.
shmibs wrote:
SHMIBS SLAYED A CHICKEN!
hmm...
i've never been much of one for text RPG's, but this definitely looks like you've put a lot of work into it. the transitions when defining your character are well done. "today was uneventful" and "bad luck, your treasure was stolen" seem to pop up often, but maybe that's just me being unlucky Razz. the one thing i can think of to suggest is maybe expanding upon the battle system, allowing different types of moves, etc, and maybe a plot, just to hold the player's attention through the level grinding.

1) "today is uneventful" and "bad luck your treasure was stolen" do pop up often. I may have to change that in the next release. Razz
2)That's a wonderful idea. I might implement that after I finish the other 2 seasons. So that each class will have 2 moves. The first one is like a weak special. The second is a more powerful special with a higher critical rate.
3)As for plot lines, I don't know how that would tie in with the seasons... I might try for it if I can make up one to go along with the seasons. Maybe something like:
"Your family has been killed by <Insert Villain Name>. You were spared by his whim, angry you retreated into the woods. Life was hard, but you managed. You honed your body and your skills to attain power. At the end of the 4 seasons, you have made up your mind to challenge <Insert Villain Name>. You will take vengeance on him and take back the deaths of your family with blood."

Then the game ends and asks you "do you want to continue?"
Yes will take you through the second extra part, to kill off the villain's Captains.
basically your glorified generic, "he killed my family so I kill you" type game... Very Happy[/b]
/me tries to thing of some lines from the Godfather films to quote. Smile That's a good idea, I think you should give that a try if you have the time and motivation.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours