That's only partially true. Threads can choose whether or not to freeze on unfocus. This makes it so that Mosiac, for example, can assemble a project, and you can go to a different program at the same time. I may also have timed threads, so you could play music while doing math, for example.
SirCmpwn wrote:
That's only partially true. Threads can choose whether or not to freeze on unfocus. This makes it so that Mosiac, for example, can assemble a project, and you can go to a different program at the same time. I may also have timed threads, so you could play music while doing math, for example.
Ah, I didn't realize that programs had a choice about being frozen when they lost focus. That's fair enough, and I suppose you're not going to really have to worry about malicious programs too much, given how controlled the platform is.
Imagine if your computer couldn't connect to the internet, and had to use another computer to transfer software, how little viruses and malware it would get.
KermMartian wrote:
SirCmpwn wrote:
Ah, I didn't realize that programs had a choice about being frozen when they lost focus. That's fair enough, and I suppose you're not going to really have to worry about malicious programs too much, given how controlled the platform is.

Who would want to do something malicious to KOS? Wink

EDIT: ninja'd.
SirCmpwn wrote:
Imagine if your computer couldn't connect to the internet, and had to use another computer to transfer software, how little viruses and malware it would get.
Precisely, that's what I meant about a controlled platform. Smile TI calculators are probably one of the most widespread mobile devices with a single OS (ie, lots more people have phones, but they're all running different OSes), and yet there are few if any true viruses out there.
Exactly. Soon we will have another option for OS, though.
SirCmpwn wrote:
Exactly. Soon we will have another option for OS, though.
If the many OS project threads people have recently posted on Cemetech are to be believed, we'll have ten more. Laughing
Hmm, I haven't seen very many. OS2 is the only other one I can think of that has something tangible done, but it looks like it's starting to die.
SirCmpwn wrote:
Hmm, I haven't seen very many. OS2 is the only other one I can think of that has something tangible done, but it looks like it's starting to die.
Cough*LIFOS*Cough. While Tari may not post about it often it is worked on every once in a while and has quite a bit done on it already.
Ah, I see. Tari should post some screenies, and talk about it a little Razz
Quite true. I pull out the code every now and then, when I get into a productive mood, but that's rather disappointingly uncommon. The TI-SDIP stemmed from work on LIFOS, though- that's probably the most recent bit of work I did.

I've got an old progress thread, but it's been languishing lately. Guess I should fix that.
SirCmpwn wrote:
Back in the day there was CSX and Ceptic. Now there's:

:: BrandonW's OS2
:: Tari's LiFOS
:: Eeems' I-forget-what-it's-called OS
:: I think Anakclusmos was making one?
:: You
KermMartian wrote:
SirCmpwn wrote:
Back in the day there was CSX and Ceptic. Now there's:

:: BrandonW's OS2
:: Tari's LiFOS
:: Eeems' I-forget-what-it's-called OS
:: I think Anakclusmos was making one?
:: You

Eeems' is called Rogue, I think.

And don't forget PongOS. Razz
I could never forget PongOS! Laughing And yes, Rogue is precisely the one I was thinking of, thanks.
BAOS is really good, I'm suprised it is dead.
Yes it is Rogue Razz and it's kinda waiting for the final version of the Knight Kernel to actually be developed, but it is in the planning stages still Razz
SirCmpwn wrote:
BAOS is really good, I'm suprised it is dead.
Which one is BAOS again? That rings a very faint bell.
Another multitasking OS that is suprisingly complete. http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/398/39863.html

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours