I was doing the usual yesterday on Google Chrome, when I got a blue screen for the first time on this certain computer (Sony Vaio, Pre-installed Windows 7 64 bit). I let the computer shut down and went to sleep, saying I'd deal with it in the morning. Upon restart today, it crashed again after a minute into the boot, just as I was opening Chrome. I used safe mode to get in and got rid of some start up programs and then system restored back to the 17th, before one program installation and one windows update. I then again booted back into Windows 7 regularly. I got in fine, was looking at some crash dump information, and no crash. After clicking on Chrome, I BSoD'ed again! I am not sure at this point, but I think Chrome is giving me the blue screen. lol

I am mad, because Chrome is my main browser, and the only one that works for certain internet activities of mine. I proceeded to safe-mode boot again, but the loading of a .dll was frozen mid-boot! There were strange colors around the top of the screen, and the onl way out was a hard shut-down. Next I booted into safe-mode with networking and clicked on "uninstall chrome", and ANOTHER BSoD. Extremely mad, I tried again, this time getting Chrome uninstalled. I then reinstalled it, but it will not load any web page. I haven't tried Chrome out in Regular boot yet, but I have a gut feeling that it will crash. What should I do?
Sounds to me like the latest trunk of Chrome has some kind of fun BSODding bug, and you should steer clear for now. Have you tried looking into Chrome's bug repository? How recent is the version you're using? Do other browsers work well.
Use another browser.
KermMartian wrote:
Sounds to me like the latest trunk of Chrome has some kind of fun BSODding bug, and you should steer clear for now. Have you tried looking into Chrome's bug repository? How recent is the version you're using? Do other browsers work well.

Haven't peered in yet, as any type of Chrome related program is crashing me.

I haven't installed any new version of it.

Other browsers work AFAIK, but some sites don't function as I want them.

Update: After booting normally after all of this, I Blue Screened at desktop, without touching anything.
When's the last time you ran a memchk, if ever? Have you recently swapped RAM, static shocked your machine, or changed out any hardware?
KermMartian wrote:
When's the last time you ran a memchk, if ever? Have you recently swapped RAM, static shocked your machine, or changed out any hardware?

About a month or two ago I memory checked it, and it was fine.

Haven't done any of those things though.
xXEpicxXXxFailXx wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

About a month or two ago I memory checked it, and it was fine.

Haven't done any of those things though.
I'd definitely start with a memory check.
KermMartian wrote:

It passed the test with no problems.

Also, I thought about what Nikky might say when I was composing this topic, considering he uses Chrome.

Just started the computer up and the now familiar blue screen reared it's ugly head once again ten seconds after the desktop appeared.

I saw a message as it was dumping memory, it looked something like this:
IRLQ_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL
xXEpicxXXxFailXx wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

Also, I thought about what Nikky might say when I was composing this topic, considering he uses Chrome.

Just started the computer up and the now familiar blue screen reared it's ugly head once again ten seconds after the desktop appeared.

You managed to complete a memory test that fast? Last time I checked it's an 8-hour process or more...
KermMartian wrote:
xXEpicxXXxFailXx wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

You managed to complete a memory test that fast? Last time I checked it's an 8-hour process or more...

Well, it did a two part test that fast. I recently cleaned up my files a few weeks ago, getting rid of >100 GB, if that explains it.

Also, like I said, it's not the internet anymore, it crashes right after logging in.
Not a disk check, a memory check. Surely you have a LiveCD or installer disk for some Linux-based OS handy, or I think Win7 might even have a memory check function somewhere in its bootup options.
KermMartian wrote:
Not a disk check, a memory check. Surely you have a LiveCD or installer disk for some Linux-based OS handy, or I think Win7 might even have a memory check function somewhere in its bootup options.

It does, that's what I used.

Going onward, what can I do now since it just shuts back off.

The message I saw on the Blue Screen indicates a proble with hardware, but I haven't installed any.
xXEpicxXXxFailXx wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

The message I saw on the Blue Screen indicates a proble with hardware, but I haven't installed any.
What discrete hardware do you have? Graphics card? Anything else?
KermMartian wrote:
xXEpicxXXxFailXx wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

What discrete hardware do you have? Graphics card? Anything else?

http://tinyurl.com/25f2uqs

Nothing but the defaults.

I just started up the computer in Diagnostic mode, and there is no crash yet. How do you enable processes one at a time, like wifi, drivers, and the like?
I think there's a Safe Mode mode that has that, but it's been a long time since I tried, if ever. Sad Sorry.
Blue screens are nearly always caused by a hardware or driver issue in my experience. The symptoms you mention are consistent with what I've experienced with duff RAM; the machine will start relatively fine, but as it starts using physical memory it will eventually hit the issue and keel over. I had a machine that passed Memtest86+ with flying colours but would consistently BSOD a few minutes after booting (very shortly after booting if I started running a memory-intensive program) with one particular stick of memory in it, so I'm not entirely convinced by memory-testing programs. Windows Vista has a memory checker on its install CD; I'm sure Windows 7 is much the same.

I'd try updating your hardware drivers (especially video and network drivers) as a matter of course.
An excellent point about drivers, I didn't think of that one. With BSODs I tend to focus on the hardware aspects, since that has most often been the problem for me in the past.
Well, for those that haven't seen my on SAX lately, I reset my computer to factory settings in an attempt to stop blue screens. Unfortunately, this made it worse. It blue screened during windows install. From what a few people have said, I have a corrupt HDD. The only way I got the computer to do anything for more than 5 seconds was to load Chromium OS through a USB stick. Calling a good friend to come down and take a look at it, anything I should tell him, as I love to sound professional.
xXEpicxXXxFailXx wrote:
Well, for those that haven't seen my on SAX lately, I reset my computer to factory settings in an attempt to stop blue screens. Unfortunately, this made it worse. It blue screened during windows install. From what a few people have said, I have a corrupt HDD. The only way I got the computer to do anything for more than 5 seconds was to load Chromium OS through a USB stick. Calling a good friend to come down and take a look at it, anything I should tell him, as I love to sound professional.

When it started, what were you doing and what was running in the background(that you know of such as minimized programs/windows etc..) and what you have done to it since to try and fix it.

Anything else I missed everyone else?
Did you try reformatting the HDD? If that doesn't work, try resetting the BIOS settings.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours