KermMartian wrote:
Beta7 wrote:
All of the above.
All right, that sounds good. Perhaps we need a topic where we can sketch it out? I'd welcome any question suggestions that people might have.

Post them here Very Happy
Yahtzee scoring.
Weregoose wrote:
Yahtzee scoring.

Mind to explain a bit more? Like a score card you put in the numbers and it calculates for you, or something else.
I think he means the specific scoring for Yahtzee and its rules; for example, that plus a GUI yields this: http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/289/28905.html. Perhaps you could be given a set of dice rolls and try to find the highest achievable Yahtzee score with or without knowing what all the rolls will be in advance.
The challenge I have in mind is that, when you have five numbers from one through six, for what categories can you get a score higher than zero?
Weregoose wrote:
The challenge I have in mind is that, when you have five numbers from one through six, for what categories can you get a score higher than zero?
That sounds like a good idea. For bonus points perhaps evaluate the best strategy? Either one would be fun, I think.
Okay, I failed the test already - I don't even know where to start. Razz
What if I took Kerm's Yahtzee game and more or less made it so it can run alone and get the highest possible score?
I have a small question about Yahtzee:
How do you score small straights and large straights?
You get 30 points for a small straight, which is 4 consecutive numbers, and 40 points for a large straight, which is 5 consecutive numbers.
Smile
Sonlen wrote:
What if I took Kerm's Yahtzee game and more or less made it so it can run alone and get the highest possible score?
Then you would be cheating. Laughing But the score rules in it would indeed point you in the right direction; if you could rephrase them to be options rather than legality restrictions, that could solve the puzzle.
I am currently making a program that uses a 5 element list in Ans and finds the best way to score it.
souvik1997 wrote:
I am currently making a program that uses a 5 element list in Ans and finds the best way to score it.
Woot, sounds awesome. Is anyone else working on this challenge now? Smile
I am, though I don't it'll come to anything. >(<')
Beta7 wrote:
I am, though I don't it'll come to anything. <(>')
I think it will. Smile It's not too challenging in terms of the TI-BASIC, in my opinion; it's more about thinking mathematically about it. >(<')
KermMartian wrote:
Beta7 wrote:
I am, though I don't it'll come to anything. <(>')
I think it will. Smile It's not too challenging in terms of the TI-BASIC, in my opinion; it's more about thinking mathematically about it. >(<')

Exactly this. It is rather easy to check for each way to score it and find the highest possible score, but the real challenge is to find the smallest way to do it. >(v')

Edit by Tanner: Fixed your post, you had the wrong smiley >.<
Update:

I've got most of the scoring programmed, all I have left is to program the Chance and Yahtzee methods of scoring.
souvik1997 wrote:
Update:

I've got most of the scoring programmed, all I have left is to program the Chance and Yahtzee methods of scoring.
Congrats, gogogo! Who else is working on a competing implementation?
I completed the challenge, so I get to create the next one >Smile!
I will upload the program tomorrow with the source, as I'm too lazy to get it off my calculator right now Razz.

Challenge: Compress a string of arbitrary size using a method other than RLE.
souvik1997 wrote:
I completed the challenge, so I get to create the next one >Smile!

Prove it!

We'll move ahead when everyone's had a chance to show off and share.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours