rth, but it does not help that he makes a second account to write a bad review about DCS just because Kerm wrote a true review about the "mario" game `-`
rthprog wrote:
Anyhoot, Kerm, you're an amazing programmer. But you weren't always that way - no one (I know) was just born with godly programming powers (well, save for BrandonW). The code that you create now is significantly better than your first programs - that's to be expected. It's the same for everyone. I have pretty crappy programs on ticalc - they're my very first bits of code. (I'm sure they rival Rhett's programs on the crappiness scale.) But they get better over time. The same goes for everyone. We've all written code at some point or another that would make us cringe today Smile
Far from it; some of my early work was quite embarrassing, although I'm glad that it shows that I started out as an enthusiastic community member and hopefully that enthusiasm has led me to improve my skills over the years. Nevertheless, I'm not embarrassed by any part of my body of work as a whole. I feel each piece was written to the best of my knowledge and abilities at that point, and as you say, I had to have at some point written worse code than I did at some later point; otherwise I would have had no room to improve. Wink
@qazz42
Yeah, it's annoying that he did that. And this giant thread makes it pretty clear that a ton of people are pissed at him. But just yelling at him isn't going to get him to come around. If he's genuinely interested in coding, which I'm sure he is, it would be a shame if he stopped because of our reaction to his mistake.

I still say help him become a better programmer. (I mean seriously, if he starts using DCS7 libs, he's going to understand how much concentrated awesomesauce went into DCS) Smile
rthprog wrote:
@qazz42
Yeah, it's annoying that he did that. And this giant thread makes it pretty clear that a ton of people are pissed at him. But just yelling at him isn't going to get him to come around. If he's genuinely interested in coding, which I'm sure he is, it would be a shame if he stopped because of our reaction to his mistake.

I still say help him become a better programmer. (I mean seriously, if he starts using DCS7 libs, he's going to understand how much concentrated awesomesauce went into DCS) Smile
Well, the original thread was started because some very unhelpful people on IRC were pointing out the POTY results, and I was very unhappy with the POTY results, so telling me that it was "pathetic" was really not something that I wanted to hear (you know who you are).
I stayed out of this thread to see what would happen, and my guesses were right - a (minor) conflict ensued, and rants + harshness was passed around.

My opinion will never be known (unless you PM/IRC/email/Facebook me). All I will say is that my opinion has been stated in specific forms (hint: not calc_ guy), and that Kerm should continue on in making awesome stuff. Smile
Also, the calculator community is in dire need of a massive overhaul, as proven by the recent POTY. That will be detailed in a very long post coming very soon (attempting for 12 AM 1/1/11, but no guarantees). All I will say for that is that the community in its entirety will need to work together achieve it. (And believe me, you'll want to do so.)
You can want the community to be overhauled all you want, but if you post a rant complaining about all the things that are "wrong" with it, all you're going to succeed in doing (I suspect) is getting everyone pissed off and even more fragmented. Nevertheless, you're welcome to do whatever you want, and remember that I'm welcome to take whatever administrative measures with regards to threads that I choose. Wink If it's not in the vein that I'm thinking of it being in, though, I'm hoping you'll have some constructive thoughts to share, but I still don't expect anyone to really change. Cf. the backlash you incurred when you posted your "review" of Doors CS. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
You can want the community to be overhauled all you want, but if you post a rant complaining about all the things that are "wrong" with it, all you're going to succeed in doing (I suspect) is getting everyone pissed off and even more fragmented. Nevertheless, you're welcome to do whatever you want, and remember that I'm welcome to take whatever administrative measures with regards to threads that I choose. Wink If it's not in the vein that I'm thinking of it being in, though, I'm hoping you'll have some constructive thoughts to share, but I still don't expect anyone to really change. Cf. the backlash you incurred when you posted your "review" of Doors CS. Smile
This. Suggestions are welcome, but if it's just another "Our current problem" thread, it's not really gonna help anything. Some advices can be taken, but generally people either see them as rants against each part of the community or the people that compose it or they misunderstand it. The last time, people who misunderstood saw problems that didn't exist.
I definitely agree with Omnimaga. A particular problem, in my eyes, was that members of either site that hadn't previously visited the other site took from SirCmpwn's post that the administration of the other site was a group of heavy-handed, unfriendly people trying to squelch creativity. I saw phrases like "don't they realize we do it for fun" and "it's not like we get paid", which personally hurt me a lot, considering how those are exactly things that I say to defend why I've put so much of my life and time into the community. Smile
I agree, it seems some people in ceme think people in omni are noobs and trolls, while some people in omni think people in ceme are dictators and grammer nazis and trolls.

this is just from my personal experiences with pm's and other things.
KermMartian wrote:
I definitely agree with Omnimaga. A particular problem, in my eyes, was that members of either site that hadn't previously visited the other site took from SirCmpwn's post that the administration of the other site was a group of heavy-handed, unfriendly people trying to squelch creativity. I saw phrases like "don't they realize we do it for fun" and "it's not like we get paid", which personally hurt me a lot, considering how those are exactly things that I say to defend why I've put so much of my life and time into the community. Smile

No worries! Smile This proposal is a more or less positive one - and it's not that crazy post on Omnimaga (although my proposal DOES mention community, but you'll see what I mean in just a moment).

Of course, at your discretion, you may edit or delete my post if it is too harsh, but do let me know what you change/delete. Smile
qazz42 wrote:
I agree, it seems some people in ceme think people in omni are noobs and trolls, while some people in omni think people in ceme are dictators and grammer nazis and trolls.

this is just from my personal experiences with pm's and other things.
I'll cop to being a self-proclaimed grammar stickler, but I consider that a very positive thing. Smile Qazz, a few months ago you using proper grammar, punctuation, spelling, and capitalization would have been unthinkable; I partially credit Cemetech for that change. Wink

Albert: Aight, I'll keep my eye out.
yeah i USD 2 talk lke tis

edit: yeah, I still need to work on punctuation though... I sometimes forget commas and periods. x.x
I'm happy if I either left everyone who visits Cemetech as they are, or changed them for the better. As long as I didn't touch anyone's life for the worse, I'm satisfied. Smile
hear hear Kerm
qazz42 wrote:
hear hear Kerm
Thanks qazz, I appreciate the support. Smile
You are the Dumbledore of this site Kerm Razz (your previous post is something I would think Dumbledore to say XD)
qazz42 wrote:
You are the Dumbledore of this site Kerm Razz (your previous post is something I would think Dumbledore to say XD)
Oh man, I would love to have a sweet beard and glasses like him. Smile I think that would fit my personality perfectly. Very Happy
When a new member joins we should put a hat on them to determine if they will be on the z80 or 68k teams. Smile
Btw, are you still up for that GiMP tutorial where I choose the picture, and you show us how to stitch faces on it? If so >.> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11832443/DumbleDore%20Wallpaper.jpg
ParkerR, hahaha, awesome.

_player1537 wrote:
Btw, are you still up for that GiMP tutorial where I choose the picture, and you show us how to stitch faces on it? If so >.> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11832443/DumbleDore%20Wallpaper.jpg
Argh, of course you pick a super-challenging one. But yeah, I'll see what I can do.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 4 of 6
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours