do you think html5 will beat adobe flash
yes(steve jobs loves you)
 37%  [ 3 ]
no
 50%  [ 4 ]
undecided
 12%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 8

i've been testing and playing around with the html5 <video> tag it run's pretty smoothly and all except when i start putting in real long videos. is there a limit on how long the videos can be right now or what. and btw it works fine when i host everything on my computer and watch it from their but as soon as i put it on the internet for testing my videos are limited to around 5 mins. any help
You might wanna rewrite your post, I am having troubles understanding what services you require from us Sad

I assume you are having a problem with html5 and videos, but what is that poll about adobe flash?
HTML FTW!
well on second thought I don't want Steve jobs to like me. Is there a way so I can reverse my vote? :O
i threw in the poll just to see what people thought but i'm wanting to know if anyone else is having the same problem with the <video> tag or if there is a limit on how long these videos have to be to play
0rac343 wrote:
HTML FTW!
well on second thought I don't want Steve jobs to like me. Is there a way so I can reverse my vote? :O

Seconded.
wwweeelll, it is kinda html vs adobe, there is no set definition of what is better, it could just be a matter of who like what functions...
i like both honestly but i'm getting really fustrated by this because i'd love not to use adobe flash (saving money) and be able to use somthing free that will do the same thing and look a little better
anselmot wrote:
i like both honestly but i'm getting really fustrated by this because i'd love not to use adobe flash (saving money) and be able to use somthing free that will do the same thing and look a little better

You can use Flash Develop, fixing the money issue.

Personally, as a flash and web developer, I certainly don't think HTML5 is going to complete dethrone Flash any time soon.
HTML5 and Flash are not directly comparable.

If you're specifically talking about delivery of video then HTML5 is a long way away from replacing Flash or Silverlight for anything but the most trivial usage cases (lack of adaptive bitrate streaming, live streaming, copy protection, ad insertion etc). The lack of standardised codecs makes HTML5's video element even more useless.

You don't need Adobe Flash itself to publish videos; there are a slew of free .swf video players that will play a .flv/.mp4 file hosted on the server. Silverlight can play WMV files, too, and the same applies there.
as far as games are concerned i don't think html will have much of a chance maybe java one day but for now it's adobe. i still can't get this stupid <video> tag to work properly. and this is really off topic has anyone used silverlight much a netflix like player wouldn't be bad
Java "one day" will be used for games? Ever hear of Runescape?

anywho, I really dont do too much with websites, but I really dont think html will be used for games.. ever
JW Player for Silverlight works pretty well. Here's a couple of examples on my website.
Well html 5 is pretty cool. It may be used one day, it is a great tool, its just nobody really thought of using it to make good games. Ever hear of Unity guys?
0rac343 wrote:
Well html 5 is pretty cool. It may be used one day, it is a great tool, its just nobody really thought of using it to make good games. Ever hear of Unity guys?

81 Unity or some other Unity I dont know about? I assume the latter
Unity 3D? It's pretty cool, I downloaded it myself, and its a pretty cool tool to make flash games and 3D experience thats pretty much unparalleled.
qazz42 wrote:

anywho, I really dont do too much with websites, but I really dont think html will be used for games.. ever

yeah runescape's been around for a while but when i say "one day" i mean it's practically overused and i've had my fair share of java i would use actionscript any day over it
anselmot wrote:
qazz42 wrote:

yeah runescape's been around for a while but when i say "one day" i mean it's practically overused and i've had my fair share of java i would use actionscript any day over it

So.. uhh... you say that it will one day be used for games as a way to say it is overused? huh? I really cant follow that O_o
Welcome to Cemetech! I'm Christopher "Kerm Martian" Mitchell, site administrator and head honcho; I understand you're a friend of Chris/Qazz. I hope we're able to teach you plenty of coding tips and tricks, and that you might even deign to participate in some calculator programming. We generally invite new members to Introduce Themselves in the linked topic. A note on etiquette: although it is not a hard-and-fast requirement of the forum, good grammar and spelling is very strongly encouraged. One's intelligence in an online community is often judged in a large part by how one chooses to express oneself, so I'd request you do your best to capitalize where appropriate, use punctuation, and make yourself clearly understood. Qazz is a great example of someone who joined as a run-on-sentence abuser with no sense of grammar, and now comports himself relatively well (although his posts in this topic certainly don't represent his best work). I hope you'll enjoy your stay.
look at adobe flash it's overused a-lot but that's because it's good. overused is when you really can't play any games or anything without it. like right now go to some of your popular game websites and more than likely it's using flash. also look at all the horrible ad's on websites they all use flash. futhermore i think very few websites on the internet even look right without the use of flash
anselmot wrote:
look at adobe flash it's overused a-lot but that's because it's good. overused is when you really can't play any games or anything without it. like right now go to some of your popular game websites and more than likely it's using flash. also look at all the horrible ad's on websites they all use flash. futhermore i think very few websites on the internet even look right without the use of flash
Did you see my post? Try this instead:

Look at Adobe Flash. It's overused a lot, but that's because it's good. Overused is when you really can't play any games or anything without it. For example, go to some of your favorite gaming websites right now: more than likely, these are using Flash. Also look at all the horrible ads on websites; most use Flash. Furthermore, I think very few websites on the internet even look correct without the use of Flash.

Also, to respond to the substance of your post, I don't agree with that last sentence, unless I misunderstand you. Are you saying that a website looks incomplete to you unless it employs Flash?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours