Glad to hear it KermM! I'm excited for you and this success that I'm kicking it off on a New Page for you!

\o/
comicIDIOT wrote:
Glad to hear it KermM! I'm excited for you and this success that I'm kicking it off on a New Page for you!

\o/
Hahaha, thanks comicIDIOT. Smile I notice that we seem to have a ton of users this evening; perhaps they've come to check out this project? Do you have any plans to test any of this at some point, or is that not in your near-future plans?
Actually. I'm really interested to try this. It'll run me about 170$ for the calculator and the Arduino it seems. Then some time for creating the bridge, you were mentioning not needing a bridge in the future?
comicIDIOT wrote:
Actually. I'm really interested to try this. It'll run me about 170$ for the calculator and the Arduino it seems. Then some time for creating the bridge, you were mentioning not needing a bridge in the future?
You'll never not need a bridge, I'm afraid; I just want to make the bridge cheaper. Also, if I can get calculators for $10 by buying broken ones and fixing them, certainly you can find $30-$40 TI-83+s on eBay, or <$80 TI-84+s.
KermMartian wrote:
comicIDIOT wrote:
You'll never not need a bridge, I'm afraid; I just want to make the bridge cheaper. Also, if I can get calculators for $10 by buying broken ones and fixing them, certainly you can find $30-$40 TI-83+s on eBay, or <$80 TI-84+s.
I could just, buy one off you Cool
You could easily buy a TI-83+ off me, or I could just ship you one. I only have one fully functional TI-84+ and one fully functional TI-83+SE, though, so I'm afraid I'm less willing to part with those.
I'd want to reimburse you, plus some, for shipping and your work on any repaired calculator. However, I am partial to the TI-84+SE line of calcs :/
comicIDIOT wrote:
I'd want to reimburse you, plus some, for shipping and your work on any repaired calculator. However, I am partial to the TI-84+SE line of calcs :/
Yeah, I hear you. Sadly, even the broken/parts ones go for $20+ on eBay. There was one today that went for $18; I decided it wasn't worth it. I'm bidding on two more TI-83+s, though, not that that will help you at all. Let me know if you ever spot any broken TI-84+/SEs on eBay or elsewhere, and what's broken about them; I would be happy to fix one for ya gratis and send it along. Smile It's the very least token of gratitude I could offer for your gModly help and your c6m work. (That goes for you other gmods and admins, too).
I've been waiting for this for a while - thanks for releasing it! I have an Arduino with the code running and I'm ready to go, but the client on Ubuntu 10.10 gives me an error whenever I try to run it (Unable to bind TCP socket to virtual hub [Socket Bind Error]). I'm using an Arduino Uno and I'm trying gcn.cemetech.net as the metahub with the default port of 4295. Is this correct?
ahawesome wrote:
I've been waiting for this for a while - thanks for releasing it! I have an Arduino with the code running and I'm ready to go, but the client on Ubuntu 10.10 gives me an error whenever I try to run it (Unable to bind TCP socket to virtual hub [Socket Bind Error]). I'm using an Arduino Uno and I'm trying gcn.cemetech.net as the metahub with the default port of 4295. Is this correct?
The address is incorrect; that's merely an example. Take a look at SAX (the chat box on the far left of every page) and I'll tell you what the IP is. Also, are you running Chat? If so, try virtual hub "IRCHub" as your -n option.
Alright, I've run the client for roughly half an hour or so and it received everything with no problems until I timed out. As I was chatting I did notice that what I believe is the ' character (x^-1 key in number mode) was a garbage character in the SAX window. Also, I noticed that APD did not trigger, which I think is a side effect of CalcNet. Otherwise, all is good!
Ahaw, when you have something plugged into your calculator's i/o prt apd is automatically disabled..
ahawesome wrote:
Alright, I've run the client for roughly half an hour or so and it received everything with no problems until I timed out. As I was chatting I did notice that what I believe is the ' character (x^-1 key in number mode) was a garbage character in the SAX window.
I think that could be because of ASCII vs. the TI character encoding. I think we should add a table to Chat that handles that.

qazz42 wrote:
Ahaw, when you have something plugged into your calculator's i/o prt apd is automatically disabled..
My calc auto-powers down when I'm using Chat. Maybe that's because it's an 84+SE?
Mine APD'd as well, but I thought I noticed Kerm's 83+ doing that as well.
elfprince13 wrote:
Mine APD'd as well, but I thought I noticed Kerm's 83+ doing that as well.
What kind is your calc?
84+SE
iirc, Doors CS's GUI libraries automatically turn the calculator off when not in use.
ahawesome wrote:
Alright, I've run the client for roughly half an hour or so and it received everything with no problems until I timed out. As I was chatting I did notice that what I believe is the ' character (x^-1 key in number mode) was a garbage character in the SAX window. Also, I noticed that APD did not trigger, which I think is a side effect of CalcNet. Otherwise, all is good!

Of all of Merth, Qazz, and Souik, only Souvik got it right. If no one had talked in SAX/IRC for about three minutes, your calculator would have APD'd. The Doors CS GUIMouse routine has built-in APD, and CALCnet (and the GUIMouse, for that matter) handle the [ON] key to turn off your calculator. Qazz, plugging in external hardware has nothing to do with whether APD triggers or not. Elfprince, good eye. Smile

@AhAwesome: I'm sure the garbage character was, as you said, an encoding issue. Did you happen to notice what it was supposed to be?
*bump* Tracked down and solved the problem with the gCnClient software sending an incorrect, extraneous calculator ID when the Arduino was manually reset. Once Elfprince compiles the Mac OS port (I have already compiled the Windows and Ubuntu versions) I will update the software to version 0.9 both here and on ticalc.org. Also, pending a bit more testing my Shaun and myself, Chat! is about ready to go.
Glitches have been tracked down and removed from both the gCn metahub and the gCn client, an Atmega168 version of the gCn bridge firmware has been created, additional documentation and build instructions have been added to the whitepaper, and much much more. Grab gCn v0.9 below and please help test! Smile I'd also appreciate any proofreading of the whitepaper.

Downloads
gCn (globalCALCnet) Client v0.9 Beta
On the Design and Usage of globalCALCnet (gCn)

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours