I'm unsure of the function of this library. Does it connect to gCnHub, or does it provide a method to communicate with the connected calculator?
gCn hub, that way you can write computer clients to connect to gCn and play games.
Ah, I see. Thanks.
_player1537 wrote:
gCn hub, that way you can write computer clients to connect to gCn and play games.
And support any other functions, or offer server services over gCn. Smile
So how would you go about offering a service, which is what I was thinking?
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/9369/capturevx.png

this is the error I get when I put it into dedugger, I dont know what they mean Sad
It means: download the source, open the .slu and hit f5

Edit: Hmm, no .slu or whatever it is. In that case it's Chat.cs, I think.
@SirC:
It depends on what you're doing, I suppose, but you'd just have to write some software that interfaces with gCn and offers what you want, and then keep it connected at all times. The whatever client software you have on the calc would connect to gCn using the right hub name and be able to talk to the service.

For example, you could write a file repository that has a bunch of calc software. You set up the server to sit there and wait for a calc to send a "Give me a file listing" or a "Give me file X" packet, then you send back the data to that calc, basically the standard Clent-Server Paradigm. The nice thing about gCn is that it has a pretty simple packet format, and you could easily build your own packet format inside of that.

@ qazz:
That must be a problem with my library. Can you tell me what you're doing before that happens? Does it do that just as you start?
I open it, press connect, set my name, press the other connect, watch me join SAX via the program, then, it crashes...

thats about it
merthsoft wrote:
@SirC:
It depends on what you're doing, I suppose, but you'd just have to write some software that interfaces with gCn and offers what you want, and then keep it connected at all times. The whatever client software you have on the calc would connect to gCn using the right hub name and be able to talk to the service.

For example, you could write a file repository that has a bunch of calc software. You set up the server to sit there and wait for a calc to send a "Give me a file listing" or a "Give me file X" packet, then you send back the data to that calc, basically the standard Clent-Server Paradigm. The nice thing about gCn is that it has a pretty simple packet format, and you could easily build your own packet format inside of that.

Indeed. In fact, although the gCnIRCHub, which offers IRC over gCn and is written in Python, could easily have been written using Merth's C# library plugged into some IRC library.
Well in that case, it shall be quite easy to perform the task I wish to perform. I'll inform you all more later.
Great! I look forward to seeing what you do with it Smile
*Bump* I've managed to get the directory listing of the calc tonight Smile

I think it's about time to break this off into a separate thread. I'll probably do that tomorrow or something.
This is excellent! A superb job, Merth. Smile The only caveat is that either you are going to need to port part of your work to C++, or I will. Smile
Why?
Surely being in C#/.NET is far more useful, given its cross-platform and language-agnostic credentials?
Sad still cannot get the darn program to work for me... is there anything I can do to help so that I can use it?
benryves wrote:
Surely being in C#/.NET is far more useful, given its cross-platform and language-agnostic credentials?
Did Ben just make a grammatical error?! Say it ain't so! Wink Benryves, well, the rest of the gCnClient is in C++ and compiles properly on Linux, Windows, and Mac OS X, so for this particular project I feel like it would be easier to just write the USB stuff in C++ rather than port the rest of it in which I've already gotten the precarious serial and socket stuff to be happily functional.

Edit: My humble apologies, apparently my sanity is a thing of history.
But this doesn't require the rest of the things, does it? You just need to tell me what the calc will be sending and what I need to send, and I can do it all in C# with this and my calcnet library.
merthsoft wrote:
But this doesn't require the rest of the things, does it? You just need to tell me what the calc will be sending and what I need to send, and I can do it all in C# with this and my calcnet library.
I suppose, but I wanted a single gcnclient.exe for the Arduino users, the USBHID ($10 bridge) users, and the direct USB users. Do you disagree?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours