So I have been doing some research around for emulators and programs that could possibly make gCn work without the Arduino; though most likely only possible with Wabbit, I hope to find a way to get a real calculator to be able to interface in some way (with the help of others of course).
Emulare, an Arduino Emulator is one source I have found that almost seems to be promising.

I have a question though, hopefully someone knows or can help, but is there a way to take calculator input and use some sort of program on a computer to detect it and convert it something you can see (like text for example). If that is a possibility then there is hope for there to eventually be an Arduino-less gCn with real calculators, otherwise, we will have to use WabbitEmu.
Sonlen wrote:
So I have been doing some research around for emulators and programs that could possibly make gCn work without the Arduino; though most likely only possible with Wabbit, I hope to find a way to get a real calculator to be able to interface in some way (with the help of others of course).
Emulare, an Arduino Emulator is one source I have found that almost seems to be promising.

I have a question though, hopefully someone knows or can help, but is there a way to take calculator input and use some sort of program on a computer to detect it and convert it something you can see (like text for example). If that is a possibility then there is hope for there to eventually be an Arduino-less gCn with real calculators, otherwise, we will have to use WabbitEmu.

Hehe, C2I is going to be Arudino-less. Just saying. Wink

On topic, I'm not too sure that an Arduino emulator will help. Razz
Unless you can truly make the microphone port act as a link port, it's going to be pretty hard to do. A possible solution though is to make it work via USB only (which I have urged KermM to do and now he sees why Wink). Of course, you could always mirror screens from Wabbitemu to the calc, but that's another thing.

Finally, another possible solution is a little bit of C2I. Smile What our plan was is to get gCn into the mix, and allow some nice interoperability between the two. Basically, existing programs would communicate with the same calls, but it's C2I that's really behind it. It will send its own packets to the client, which in turn will transmit the proper gCn data to wherever it needs to go. Smile That of course will take quite a long time, but you can base my idea and make something simpler. Smile
The answer to your question, sadly, is yes, but yes with something like gCn client and something like an Arduino to do translation in between. Smile WabbitEmu is the solution; we'll have to figure out a way to hook Emulare and WabbitEmu together, hopefully with Buckeye's help.
alberthrocks wrote:
Sonlen wrote:

Dude, until you actually have ANYTHING to show, stfu.
Here's a suggestion: Stop advertising your future projects in the wrong threads. If I did this on another site, I would get a certain staff member clamoring for me to be banned. You managed to say "C2I" three times and "gCn" in your post only twice. If you want to talk about a future project, do it in your own thread, and anyway, stop advertising something that's not done and actually work on it. GAH.
alberthrocks wrote:
Sonlen wrote:

On topic, I'm not too sure that an Arduino emulator will help. Razz
Unless you can truly make the microphone port act as a link port, it's going to be pretty hard to do. A possible solution though is to make it work via USB only (which I have urged KermM to do and now he sees why Wink). Of course, you could always mirror screens from Wabbitemu to the calc, but that's another thing.

Finally, another possible solution is a little bit of C2I. Smile What our plan was is to get gCn into the mix, and allow some nice interoperability between the two. Basically, existing programs would communicate with the same calls, but it's C2I that's really behind it. It will send its own packets to the client, which in turn will transmit the proper gCn data to wherever it needs to go. Smile That of course will take quite a long time, but you can base my idea and make something simpler. Smile

Well what we need is a program to act between a real calculator and the gCn client for USB devices, like an interpreter, that would make my research pointless (but very much so welcome).

KermMartian wrote:
The answer to your question, sadly, is yes, but yes with something like gCn client and something like an Arduino to do translation in between. Smile WabbitEmu is the solution; we'll have to figure out a way to hook Emulare and WabbitEmu together, hopefully with Buckeye's help.

I am sure we can get Buckeye to do something like that. Wink
alberthrocks wrote:
Unless you can truly make the microphone port act as a link port, it's going to be pretty hard to do.

Totally doable, but I'm not sure how much code it would require. I know there have been some projects done in which people used a PC's mic input as an oscilloscope probe (with proper isolation to avoid frying the ADCs..), so it would probably just require capturing PCM data from such an input and massaging it into a binary stream. The annoying/tricky bit is then communicating back to the calculator, which you'd probably also need to plug into an audio output for.

Aside from that, it's pretty easy to take the blacklink approach and bit-bang whatever protocol you want on a serial or parallel port, at the cost of excluding those on 64-bit Windows.
The Tari wrote:
alberthrocks wrote:
Unless you can truly make the microphone port act as a link port, it's going to be pretty hard to do.

Totally doable, but I'm not sure how much code it would require. I know there have been some projects done in which people used a PC's mic input as an oscilloscope probe (with proper isolation to avoid frying the ADCs..), so it would probably just require capturing PCM data from such an input and massaging it into a binary stream. The annoying/tricky bit is then communicating back to the calculator, which you'd probably also need to plug into an audio output for.

Aside from that, it's pretty easy to take the blacklink approach and bit-bang whatever protocol you want on a serial or parallel port, at the cost of excluding those on 64-bit Windows.

Hmmm... what about a "translator" program that takes the data from the input, converts for gCn, and also will convert from gCn to the output so that a direct link is capable. Is that a possibility?
@Tari: I think Sonlen doesn't want to need any extra hardware; if he's going to build proper isolation for audio input and output, he's probably better off just getting an AVR and a crystal. Smile Yes, the Blacklink is a good option, but I didn't bother writing a client for it because so few people still have Blacklinks these days.

Sonlen wrote:
Hmmm... what about a "translator" program that takes the data from the input, converts for gCn, and also will convert from gCn to the output so that a direct link is capable. Is that a possibility?
The part you're missing is that the CALCULATOR then needs to take the incoming USB data and convert that back into CALCnet. That would require a major overhaul of the DCS CALCnet drivers, and would probably require more free space than I have in DCS right now
KermMartian wrote:
I think Sonlen doesn't want to need any extra hardware; if he's going to build proper isolation for audio input and output, he's probably better off just getting an AVR and a crystal. Smile Yes, the Blacklink is a good option, but I didn't bother writing a client for it because so few people still have Blacklinks these days.

Well here is a question in theory more or less. How hard would it be to take the current one and modify it to work for a black link, or would it have to be re-written entirely?

KermMartian wrote:
The part you're missing is that the CALCULATOR then needs to take the incoming USB data and convert that back into CALCnet. That would require a major overhaul of the DCS CALCnet drivers, and would probably require more free space than I have in DCS right now

What if it was a program/app for those who want to use the USB, like you get a GCN app that will handle all of that on-calc?
@Merth, KermM: The first sentence is out of line... but the second part could've been interpreted as 's/C2I/example of a calculator network implementation/g' Razz

Now... 2 more suggestions:
1) Allow the calc to control wabbitemu. Wabbitemu and a keyboard is pretty painful to control, especially if you want to game/chat.
2) Have the USB part be in another application, which will serve as a "patch" for CN to communicate via USB.
You just shrugged off everything they said as a misunderstanding, when there were far more instances of C2I than gCn. Number 1 should go in the wabbitemu topic, and most likely not going to happen because brandonw has tried it and said he hasn't gotten it workingly [easily]. I could be wrong at that though
alberthrocks wrote:
@Merth, KermM: The first sentence is out of line... but the second part could've been interpreted as 's/C2I/example of a calculator network implementation/g' Razz

1) Allow the calc to control wabbitemu. Wabbitemu and a keyboard is pretty painful to control, especially if you want to game/chat.
2) Have the USB part be in another application, which will serve as a "patch" for CN to communicate via USB.

1. I have talked about this, but Buckeye seems to think that isn't a great idea, though yes it would make controlling it easier, he didn't seem to want to do so.

2. I mentioned that in the above post:

Sonlen wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

What if it was a program/app for those who want to use the USB, like you get a GCN app that will handle all of that on-calc?
CALCnet can't communicate with USB, because it requires direct access to the lines in the link port.
alberthrocks wrote:
No, it couldn't have, because every single CALCnet/gCn post you make includes advertisements for your as-yet nonexistent project. Going off what Merth said, I believe the colloquial phrase is "put up or shut up".

Quote:
1) Buckeye is already working on this.
2) Or just make the Cn2.2 drivers use USB instead of I/O. The problem is, it would be doing I/O over the USB port, not USB. That's how the unit-to-unit USB cable works, but the calculator talks real USB to the computer. I have no particular interest in going through the trouble of packaging Cn2.2 frames into USB until TI starts making z80 calculators with no link port.
KermMartian wrote:
Or just make the Cn2.2 drivers use USB instead of I/O. The problem is, it would be doing I/O over the USB port, not USB. That's how the unit-to-unit USB cable works, but the calculator talks real USB to the computer. I have no particular interest in going through the trouble of packaging Cn2.2 frames into USB until TI starts making z80 calculators with no link port.

Is there no way to make a calculator think it is talking to another calculator as opposed to it talking to a computer?
That is what the Arduino does, iirc.
@_player: yes, because it is. maybe im just not feeling well today, idk. I'll just shut up now, cuz nothing is going right with my words.
@Sonlen: ahh I see Smile
@souvik: if you patched the existing implementation, then it will work Smile But as KermM has stated, he doesn't plan on doing that.
@KermM: for #1, meaning control via the physical calc? i only heard about his work with linking the virtual port to a virtual arduino. for #2, i've heard it's a bit complex to do (with rewriting the USB stack with your own), so I won't blame you for saying no.

Now i'll shut up. Razz
souvik1997 wrote:
That is what the Arduino does, iirc.

That is what I am trying to work around, but without the Arduino, I guess with a program on the computer it goes through and an app/program for gCn on the calc to use for incoming data is the only option if that is even a possibility.
alberthrocks wrote:
@_player: yes, because it is. maybe im just not feeling well today, idk. I'll just shut up now, cuz nothing is going right with my words.
Easy solution: confine your statements about C2I to C2I topics that talk about new progress on C2I unless it's something relevant and constructive, not "L O L O L C2I is better than gCn/Cn2.2 even though it hasn't been completed or demonstrated or written yet!". That would save any "misunderstandings".
Quote:
@Sonlen: ahh I see Smile
@souvik: if you patched the existing implementation, then it will work Smile But as KermM has stated, he doesn't plan on doing that.
Because it's not as easy as that. Did you read what I wrote?
Quote:
@KermM: for #1, meaning control via the physical calc? i only heard about his work with linking the virtual port to a virtual arduino. for #2, i've heard it's a bit complex to do (with rewriting the USB stack with your own), so I won't blame you for saying no.

Now i'll shut up. Razz
I believe BenRyves has done control via the physical calc, but making the screens sync up is a much more challenging problem. Simply sending keypress codes is not horribly complex, although you of course need to have written the relevant libti-using computer-side program to catch incoming data.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours