I was super stoked to get this shower curtain.

Participated in a 15k last Sunday with a bunch of coworkers! I've never done anything like this before - not even a 5k - and while I don't regret doing a 15k I do regret not being more prepared for it. So, I went and signed up for 3 more this year. An 8k, 10k and a 12k.

More will be coming.
Me in my Russian garb.

Mostly for the meme, but I was born in Russia, after all.

there are those random "expectation vs. reality" things out there, so I made my own

Expectation:

Reality:

hope y'all enjoy!
Here's an over-saturated selfie from Memorial Day in San Francisco! We can see the Golden Gate, a Golden Sunset, and the Presidio.

In an act of spontaneity I attended a casting call today for on-set extras for a new TV show called "Devs." It's an 8 part sci-fi mini series that follows a murder mystery that involves a tech company that works with "big data." The casting assistants had us write down our info, "special talents," and any props we may have, of which I don't really have any; I just listed my telescope and camera as props and my marathon running as a special skill. Haha. And of course had our photo taken which Alex Garland (director of Ex Machinma and Annihilation) will use to select extras.

Filming will take place the last week of August through the start of September. No idea when it'll be aired but I'm looking forward to watching it! Hopefully some of my friends & I get a phone call that we'll be needed but we're all excited nonetheless.

#freepublicity #iguess

I don't think I have ever posted my face on here... but here is me enjoying rock climbing, I got a membership at a gym around here toward the beginning of July. I'm on a very easy wall in this picture, but I have also been practicing on some belaying routes as well as bouldering. Maybe it's just me, but it seems rock climbing gyms are trending lately!

I'm pretty new to this, but I think I've found something new I really like and will be doing for a while.
Funicular life

Train selfie by Nikky, on Flickr
This is how I spend my time running cross country.

[img]
But the real question is, did you win?
It's weird seeing members I've known for a while faces for the first time. Well, in Michael's case, without a camera in front of his head. Razz

How'd the extras submission go Alex? Have you heard back from them yet?
Michael2_3B wrote:
'm on a very easy wall in this picture, but I have also been practicing on some belaying routes as well as bouldering.

I love bouldering! Whats the hardest level that you have managed to complete?
TheLastMillennial wrote:
But the real question is, did you win?

Hahaha I wish. I was in the rookie race for freshmen and Sophomores, and I came in 53 out of 210ish kids. I got a pr in the race, (it was a three mile) with 19:40 or about 6:25 per mile. The kid who won the rookies' race won with a time of 16 minutes which blows my mind.
TheLastMillennial wrote:
How'd the extras submission go Alex? Have you heard back from them yet?

I have not. A friend of mine got the call, she was just walking around in the back. She just did one scene for four days. The first day they never used the extras, the second and third days they only did an hour of shooting. It's my goal to find her on the show now. They're filming all through September too. So there's still a chance!

21tmccauley wrote:
This is how I spend my time running cross country.

Nice! I've signed up for four runs this year: 15k, 12k, 10k, and an 8k. I just have the 10k left. The 15k was a work event and I hated it so much I signed up for 3 more; prior to this I've never ran at something like this before. I did the 8k in 55 minutes, which was under my goal of an hour and the 12k in 1h43m which was 3 minutes slower than my goal. I'm hoping to do the 10k in under 1h30m. I did the 15k in like 2h40m, oof.

Next year I'm going to just do 5k's and build up stamina. But go you, keep it up! I never fully appreciated the level of endurance one needs until I was a quarter way through the 15k. Haha. Laughing
Speaking of stamina, during the early summer I took a trip to Colorado Springs. During my last day there I did the most exhausting hike in my life, The Incline. it's only a mere 1.4km (.88mi) in length, but it goes up over 2000 feet vertically. No small feat considering I'm a lowlander and the elevation just killed me. Fortunately, I had a bar of chocolate and plenty of water so that helped. Razz

I have to say, the camera doesn't catch it very well, but the view was worth the effort!

Not my image, but here's a better view of the trail.
I have heard of this and I want to do it; you can only go up that right? Then there's a more relaxed trail to go down on?

From the link:

Quote:
There is a club called, The Incline 500 Club. To become a member, a person must hike to the top of the Incline at least 500 times in 365 consecutive days. As of June 2018, there are nine members
I'll have to gauge how I feel after I climb it once to see if I'm game enough to do it again the next day. I'm going to go ahead and put money on "Hell no."
Haha! There's no way I'd make it to that club! My legs were dead for a good few days after.
Yes, there's a much easier trail that goes back down, it's a lot longer (3mi I think) but the elevation change is much less and since you're using different muscles to go back down, it doesn't feel too bad. I think if you can survive a 15k Alex, you can survive this at least once. Laughing
Oh, I should add I made it to the top in just under an hour, my friend, who does this a lot, has a personal best of half an hour and I think the world record is around 18 minutes.
Wow, now that sounds like a good hill climbing works out. Also good job Alex on going on all of those runs (or walks I don't judge). I like to think that it's pretty ok at the medium distance races (15k and down), but by far my favorite race is the 3600 meter. Keep up the good work!
c4ooo wrote:
Michael2_3B wrote:
I'm on a very easy wall in this picture, but I have also been practicing on some belaying routes as well as bouldering.

I love bouldering! Whats the hardest level that you have managed to complete?

So far, I think a v2. There are some really fun ones I've been wanting to complete lately, but haven't yet; one of them (a v3) you have to run a short distance on the wall without falling off to reach the next grip. The other one (I think a v3 as well), I call it "the purple one", has big cylinder grips and is kind of angled backwards. I'll have to take a picture the next chance I get.
Michael2_3B wrote:
I'll have to take a picture the next chance I get.

Here's some of my favorite one's I've been attempting lately. I've marked the routes with lines:

This pink one (V3) is fun, first you have to run from the first 2 holds on the left across the wall on the bottom to get to the next hold. I haven't successfully done it yet, but chances are they'll change it up before I do Razz

This purple one (V3) is also fun. I've gotten to grab the second to last cylinder, however getting my feet above the pyramid has proven quite difficult.

I've also marked out an orange one here (V1). This one is kind of a dyno, meaning I have to jump to grab the next hold, and if I don't get it I'll fall off. It's also sloped backwards quite a bit. This one is quite exciting and I'm hoping I'll get it next time.

But anyways, I'll stop rambling! Just thought I'd share.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 123, 124, 125, 126  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 124 of 126
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours