1) Can I use Ubuntu's built in text editor (gEdit, I believe?) for doing the actual coding? Anything better?

2)What is G++ Multilib? I don't need that, right?

3)Should I be getting the latest version of G++, which is 4.5?

4)Aside from GDB, anything else I need?
Vim.
Use jEdit for the editor.
allynfolksjr wrote:
Vim.

So far, two vote for Vim. Is it really that good? O_o

souvik1997 wrote:
Use jEdit for the editor.

No offense, but I'm not using something written in Java... `-`
GEdit if you want a GUIfied editor, vim otherwise. I can edit code so, so much faster in vim than I can in any GUI editor, no joke. I'm waiting for someone to release a vim-keys extension for Notepad++ so that I can edit my code on Windows faster in a tabbed editor, since I love everything else about Notepad++. You need build-essentials as well as gdb.
KermMartian wrote:
GEdit if you want a GUIfied editor, vim otherwise. I can edit code so, so much faster in vim than I can in any GUI editor, no joke. I'm waiting for someone to release a vim-keys extension for Notepad++ so that I can edit my code on Windows faster in a tabbed editor, since I love everything else about Notepad++. You need build-essentials as well as gdb.

GUIfied editor? Could you post a screenshot of vim to show what you mean? I googled it and the image I found looked pretty "GUIfied" as far as I understand the term.

What "build-essentials" do I need?
build-essentials is a package, just do sudo apt-get install build-essentials.
souvik1997 wrote:
Correct. It includes gcc, g++, and the header packages that you'll need. Vim is a purely command-line/terminal editor, unless you're using something like gVim.
KermMartian wrote:
souvik1997 wrote:
Correct. It includes gcc, g++, and the header packages that you'll need. Vim is a purely command-line/terminal editor, unless you're using something like gVim.

Ah, I see. Thank you very much ^_^
I think I will stick with GEdit for now. I've used it for dev stuff before and it works well enough for me.
KeithJohansen wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
souvik1997 wrote:

I think I will stick with GEdit for now. I've used it for dev stuff before and it works well enough for me.
That's fair, good luck. Make sure you save yourself time in the long run and make yourself Makefiles.
KermMartian wrote:
KeithJohansen wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
souvik1997 wrote:

That's fair, good luck. Make sure you save yourself time in the long run and make yourself Makefiles.

Elaborate? ^^;
[edit]Seriously, I don't get wtf makefiles are.

[edit2]
sudo apt-get install build-essentials returns: E: Unable to locate package build-essentials

[edit3]
Thanks for the help, Tari! Smile
*build-essential. Some simple Googling would have turned that up. Wink
Make that thanks for the help Tari and Kerm! Laughing

Wow, what all does this install, anyway? O_o
I would have to vote for vim as the editor as well.
KeithJohansen wrote:
Make that thanks for the help Tari and Kerm! 0x5

Wow, what all does this install, anyway? O_o
As I said, all the header files you need, and most of the executable tools. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
*build-essential. Some simple Googling would have turned that up. Wink

Or tab complete.
KermMartian wrote:
I can edit code so, so much faster in vim than I can in any GUI editor, no joke.

Is that a concern of yours? I spend more time thinking about my code than I do actually typing it, so accelerating the process doesn't really seem worth the effort (see also: why I haven't learnt to touch type "correctly", switched to a Dvorak layout or learnt shorthand).
Quote:
I'm waiting for someone to release a vim-keys extension for Notepad++ so that I can edit my code on Windows faster in a tabbed editor, since I love everything else about Notepad++.

I know I've banged on about it quite a bit, but you should at least try Programmer's Notepad instead of Notepad++. It uses the same text editor component (Scintilla) but the user interface is quite a bit less clunky and supports VIM-style editing in its command bar if you so desire:

Plus, it uses Python for scripting. Smile
Looks like I'm the only one playing for team emacs? Sad day...
foamy3 wrote:
<insert standard ctrl-alt-meta-walk-the-dog insult of emacs> Benryves, fine, I'll give it a try, no point rejecting it without having tried it. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
foamy3 wrote:
<insert standard ctrl-alt-meta-walk-the-dog insult of emacs> Benryves, fine, I'll give it a try, no point rejecting it without having tried it. Smile
To quote the bot from #archlinux on freenode
phrik wrote:

Jonimus | !emacs
phrik | a great operating system, lacking only a decent editor
Though I have really been meaning to learn how to use vim better, I still default to nano for cli editing and use geany for graphically editing on *nix. For windows I also use Notepad++, Programmers Notepad and Textpad just don't feel as comfortable to me.

EDIT: as for makefiles this is the one I use for TIUtils. Makefile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours