The screen is not cracked, and the pixels do work (but very faint), it looks like a burn mark (but it wasn't burnt, nor shows signs of being burnt)

This is what it looks like when off when your looking directly above the spot
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg53/madmax_2069/TI-84badscreen.jpg

Here is the spot when viewed either above or below (at a angle) with the calc still off.
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg53/madmax_2069/TI-84badscreen2.jpg

And here is the spot when in doors (sorry about the crappy pic) but i tried to get a close up of the spot showing the pixels still work (i dont know if you can tell but it says ION) you can just make out the I and part of the O.
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg53/madmax_2069/TI-84badscreen3.jpg

i do not know how these screens work or how they are made but would there be any way of fixing this issue short of replacing the screen ?

it almost reminds me of how a wrist watch screen acts when messing around with the screens filters (on how you can make it light with dark text or dark with light text by flipping the filters around).
Oooh, strange, the same thing happened to my friend, but is is at a larger scale. I am 90% sure you somehow applied too much pressure to the screen, but I am likely wrong.
qazz42 wrote:
Oooh, strange, the same thing happened to my friend, but is is at a larger scale. I am 90% sure you somehow applied too much pressure to the screen, but I am likely wrong.

I have never seen a screen do this (not saying it never happened) without the screen being cracked, or showing some sort of damage on the front of the screen where pressure was applied in that small of a area.

Im more then likely going to have to get it repaired or find a screen from a broken unit to salvage parts from.
This looks like Geekboy's screen, I'll have to bug him to look at this thread.
This looks like either a very bad pressure mark or a burn mark to me. I warn you that even for an experienced EE / calculator modder like myself replacing 84+/SE screens is extremely difficult and nontrivial, to the extent that I haven't yet succeeded with one.
KermMartian wrote:
This looks like either a very bad pressure mark or a burn mark to me. I warn you that even for an experienced EE / calculator modder like myself replacing 84+/SE screens is extremely difficult and nontrivial, to the extent that I haven't yet succeeded with one.

Oh lovely, more great news. how is it connected to the board ?
It's a 16-pin ribbon-style connector surface-soldered to the mainboard, and it's extremely narrow and delicate. Sad
yeah i hate those paper thin plastic ribbon cables (if thats the style your talking about, and when it usually comes to being connected to a screen you are).

i have looked and looked to see close up pics of how the screen is connected to the board but could find none.
Looks like this:

And this is what it looks like when you're stupid and sever the ribbon!
Wow

is that a board to board connection and not a board to crappy printed paper thin plastic ribbon want to be board ?

It looks doable that is if you have very steady hands and one of those helping hands with a very powerful Magnifying Glass, just replace each of the traces with some very very small wire using a very small tipped soldering iron and Tin the tips of each tip of wires so all that you would have to do is heat the wire to the pad.
very tedious at best but doable of course that is if its board to board and not board to printed plastic circuit board
You would think so, but you'd be wrong. Smile the top and bottom of the metal strips are on the front layer, and the middle of each metal strip is soldered to the back layer, so you have to simultaneously desolder them all and pull.
a, give it up to making it darn near imposable to fix the screen.
madmax2069 wrote:
a, give it up to making it darn near imposable to fix the screen.
Basically. One day I want to try swapping a screen from a mostly-working calculator to a fully-working calculator that has no screen, but managing to remove the working LCD without breaking things is something I have no confidence in my ability to do based on attempts with dead calculators.
*bump* Just to stop the confusion that I realized I accidentally propagated in IRC, this is a TI-84+/SE, with nearly impossible-to-fix ribbon cables. The TI-83+/SE has a much much easier ribbon cable to fix, as it has fewer connectors and a wider, coarser pitch.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours