I present as evidence today's XKCD comic:

http://xkcd.com/859/

lol, and he's worried about it breaking his system. That's why you should write your server on your trusty TI-81. Wink
graphmastur wrote:
0x5, and he's worried about it breaking his system. That's why you should write your server on your trusty TI-81. Wink
Hehe, exactly. Smile Funny that calculators can understand unbalanced parentheses whereas just about desktop programming language disallows them.
KermMartian wrote:
Hehe, exactly. Smile Funny that calculators can understand unbalanced parentheses whereas just about [every] desktop programming language disallows them.

lol... It's AMAZING that programming languages still disallow this! It makes sense in a way, however. P.S. did you mean to add that "every" I put into the quote?
Any language for which new lines are significant shouldn't have a problem with ambiguity and unclosed parenthesis. Fortunately most languages are more concerned with readability than with code size Wink
elfprince13 wrote:
Any language for which new lines are significant shouldn't have a problem with ambiguity and unclosed parenthesis. Fortunately most languages are more concerned with readability than with code size Wink

Yes, indeed. I guess computers have MUCH more storage available than calculators, however. Therefore it made sense to me in a way.
Haha, that was exactly my thoughts on it when I saw it first Razz "Hmm, they don't seem to bother me in TI Basic."
elfprince13 wrote:
That makes me think that we should convince the Python developers to allow unclosed paired symbols. Smile
Am I the only one to close parenthesizes in TI-BASIC?
juju2143 wrote:
Am I the only one to close parenthesizes in TI-BASIC?
I think so! The rest of us like to save bytes, except with the For/If problem. The exception of course is the TI-89/92+/V200. Smile
Who does BASIC on the 68k calcs anyway? Wink

Code size is virtually irrelevant on computers anyway so don't go giving teh n00bs the ability to massively eff up their code's readability for the sake of inane size saving Razz
They don't appear to need help messing up their programs anyway Razz
The TI-85/86 also requires the close paren, and the For If thing is only an issue if the If is the next byte after the for loop any other locations are unaffected.
TheStorm wrote:
The TI-85/86 also requires the close paren, and the For If thing is only an issue if the If is the next byte after the for loop any other locations are unaffected.
Indeed re: the For/If issue. And good point about the TI-85/86, I haven't coded those calcs in my collection extensively enough for the quirk and vagaries of those dialects to have become impressed in my memory. Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours