http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ctaA2mERzI

Not sure if anyone else has seen this yet or not. I find it quite intriguing and have been trying to figure out how it works. Guess I shall just google it once I have some time later.

What are your thoughts?
tifreak8x wrote:
I find it quite intriguing and have been trying to figure out how it works.

Wikipedia has an interesting article on the quirk of fluid dynamics that makes this work.
haha, that is awesome Very Happy Benryves, should your link point to here instead?
No. It's not possible for water to hold a shape on it's own. Unless it's ice.
Wow, that's pretty awesome.

/me wants to try
comicIDIOT wrote:

What about surface tension? That's what I thought it was.
This is quite cool!
_player1537 wrote:
comicIDIOT wrote:

What about surface tension? That's what I thought it was.
Surface Tension only works so far. If you're careful you can fit many drops of water on a penny with water hanging off the edges, same principle for a glass. But that tension breaks after a limit; waters ability to hold onto itself is amazing, but it can not keep it's shape. Even the centrifugal force of the water in this video should break the tension.
rofl...
i wonder if people are actually dumb enough to keep trying this... XD
I tried it and it worked Very Happy
squidgetx wrote:

new tip!!!
if you have a laptop... it works nearly 100% if you do it on your laptop keyboard!!! Wink
My theory is the law of inertia and surface tension, though I am not positive, it actually looks like the twist made it spin, and that spin is what made it keep its shape.
Sonlen wrote:
My theory is the law of inertia and surface tension, though I am not positive, it actually looks like the twist made it spin, and that spin is what made it keep its shape.
When things spin they are forced away from the centre of rotation, not toward it.

_player1537 wrote:
haha, that is awesome Very Happy Benryves, should your link point to here instead?
Look at the other videos on the original poster's channel. Razz
WhiteValkery wrote:
squidgetx wrote:

new tip!!!
if you have a laptop... it works nearly 100% if you do it on your laptop keyboard!!! Wink
Just stop.

Fun fact: You can supersaturate sodium acrylate powder (found in diapers) with water to form a sort of gel polymer; at low concentrations in water, you can increase the water's viscosity, so that would be a way to make this easier. Smile
benryves wrote:
Sonlen wrote:
When things spin they are forced away from the centre of rotation, not toward it.

Then if that is the case, wouldn't we be moving away from the sun over time instead of closer to it?
Sonlen wrote:
benryves wrote:
Sonlen wrote:

Then if that is the case, wouldn't we be moving away from the sun over time instead of closer to it?

Gravity?

Also, Kerm, cool to know Very Happy

@Benryves, I just understood what you meant by your first post in this thread. Well played Razz
_player1537 wrote:
Sonlen wrote:
benryves wrote:
Sonlen wrote:

Gravity?

Well everything has some gravity, so the water staying in place wouldn't be so hard to believe is doing the same thing that keeps the earth in orbit around the sun.
Sonlen wrote:
_player1537 wrote:
Sonlen wrote:
benryves wrote:
Sonlen wrote:

Gravity?

Well everything has some gravity, so the water staying in place wouldn't be so hard to believe is doing the same thing that keeps the earth in orbit around the sun.

With something as small as a glass of water, you aren't going to get enough gravity to hold the entire water shape. Plus, wouldn't it be easier to have it not be spinning, if your gravity of the water idea was correct? The spinning does, as you said, try to move outwards, so that would be more gravity the glass of water would need.
_player1537 wrote:
Sonlen wrote:
_player1537 wrote:
Sonlen wrote:
benryves wrote:
Sonlen wrote:

Gravity?

With something as small as a glass of water, you aren't going to get enough gravity to hold the entire water shape. Plus, wouldn't it be easier to have it not be spinning, if your gravity of the water idea was correct? The spinning does, as you said, try to move outwards, so that would be more gravity the glass of water would need.

I didn't say it would force the water outward, and the inertia and gravity (no matter how small) at the right speed just might be the cause for that.
Hehe, it is found in diapers? I would so totally look cool buying those to test it out Wink (@Kerm)

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours