Or like this.

merthsoft wrote:
That is right, so what's the maximum tries it will take in that case, and what's the general solution for n bulbs and m floors?

Look up the manufacturer's documentation on the height at which 95% of bulbs break? Wink
If you knew the height from which a lightbulb will reach terminal velocity, you only need to go that high at most. Anything higher should return identical results.
Nice outside-the-box thinking for both of you. Smile I think those would be good interview question answers. Very Happy
DShiznit wrote:
If you knew the height from which a lightbulb will reach terminal velocity, you only need to go that high at most. Anything higher should return identical results.

I doubt a standard lightbulb shape is going to reach terminal velocity so close to the ground. Forms approximating a teardrop should do very well aerodynamically speaking.
The abrupt flat end would create a significant amount of drag I would think.
it's going to rapidly flip around and trail behind so that the bulbous portion is in front. To be aerodynamically stable the center of mass should be in front of the center of drag.
That's true, but the flat end would create a small vacuum as the air rushes past it, pulling on the bulb. This would only matter of course if you're using super heavy duty industrial encased lights that could survive a fall at terminal velocity.
KermMartian wrote:
But does being a CS major have to do with being physically fit? I'm fit and a CS major. I find this question offensive.
My apologies - didn't intend for it to be offensive Sad

KermMartian wrote:
Also, do we have to take into account retrieving the unbroken lightbulb each time?
No. If you drop a bulb and it does not break, it will be replaced such that you do not need to walk all the way down.

@Qwerty.55 Having an expected value _could_ help out a lot. The "correct" answer assumes that the probability of a a certain level being the point at which a lightbulb breaks is evenly distributed. If you knew that the expected threshold floor was 5, then instead of dropping the first bulb from floor 50, you could start from floor 4.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours