Hey, I was playing with some legos yesterday and had the idea of removing the hammer and replacing it with the lego brick remover. We only really need a model, if anyone is up for it. I'm not sure if the ldraw parts library contains a brick remover.
Wouldn't that be a big and unwieldy in the hands of a 1.5 inch figure? And since we have an editor gun, do we really need the hammer at all anymore?
DShiznit wrote:
Wouldn't that be a big and unwieldy in the hands of a 1.5 inch figure? And since we have an editor gun, do we really need the hammer at all anymore?

I more or less agree with this, though there's no reason someone couldn't implement a destroy-everything game mode that involved a hammer. I do like the idea of the brick remover, but it doesn't seem properly scaled for gameplay...
The original hammer was actually a mallet, so we could use the real hammer. It should be on LDraw's part list.

The question still remains as to what, precisely, we need the hammer for.
To quickly destroy things Razz

I could see it being used for minecraftesk random levels if we can get the brick count up that high.

Also I'm sure we can come up with a use for the brick remover, maybe a master hand like bad guy or boss for some game mode that a modder may come up with.
Fair enough, fair enough.
Actually The Orange Block had a minecraft-like brick mining mechanic with melee weapons before there was even a minecraft.
Before there was infiniminer, there was legos.
By the way, if we have a hammer, what for is the magic wand then?
SpaceNinja wrote:

Nada.
elfprince13 wrote:
SpaceNinja wrote:

Nada.
I thought it was that the hammer was for destroying your own bricks, if we differentiate between who placed the bricks, and the magic wand was for an admin to destroy everything.
TheStorm wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
SpaceNinja wrote:

Nada.
I thought it was that the hammer was for destroying your own bricks, if we differentiate between who placed the bricks, and the magic wand was for an admin to destroy everything.

Isn't it like when you're admin you can destroy other's bricks with the hammer?
We really shouldn't have separate tools. The hammer should just use proper permissions.
elfprince13 wrote:
We really shouldn't have separate tools. The hammer should just use proper permissions.
I think that would be both the more elegant and less-confusing option.
elfprince13 wrote:

Yeah. Initially, the magic wand had the unique ability to chain-kill bricks, but since TBM's saving system does not record brick connections, it only works on vanilla blockland-style one-time structures, making it rather useless. You could theoretically add this functionality to the hammer along with permissions, assuming you could find a way to check for extended brick connections.
DShiznit wrote:
Yeah. Initially, the magic wand had the unique ability to chain-kill bricks, but since TBM's saving system does not record brick connections, it only works on vanilla blockland-style one-time structures, making it rather useless. You could theoretically add this functionality to the hammer along with permissions, assuming you could find a way to check for extended brick connections.

Since I'm implementing iGob-like functionality with LDRAW MPD documents, this could be used to delete all sub-objects from a particular branch of the object tree. Where it could get tricky is multiparenting (having, say, a leg sub-model that you are using for both legs of your mech, and trying to delete a brick from one, but not the other). I could probably give the option to delete from "only this instance" or "all instances" though, and duplicate the submodel before modifying it.
The way the wand worked, if you hit a brick on the ground, and there were no other bricks linking the model with the ground, the whole thing would collapse. I'm not sure if you could do that with TBM models built with totally open positions and rotations however...
DShiznit wrote:
The way the wand worked, if you hit a brick on the ground, and there were no other bricks linking the model with the ground, the whole thing would collapse. I'm not sure if you could do that with TBM models built with totally open positions and rotations however...

We also don't need to blatantly rip-off behavior from other games Wink
Well instead of the bricks just exploding, they could collapse with a physics effect, but yeah, it's just ginger anyway.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours