http://www.info.ea.com/company/company_tw.php

Anyone interested in making AIs to compete with each other?
Surprised Wow, that's pretty cool!
Yeah, too bad it's invitation only. I wonder how they choose?
No idea. I seriosuly doubt I'd be 1337 enoguh to make it though.
What I don't get is why would they be having a 2D programming contest? Confused
Umm, I'm guessing they're gonna use that to make a 3D game. They just want to make ti more simple; 2D is way way way easier to program than 3d.
But not many games are 2D anymore.
It is basically irrelevant whether it is in 2d or 3d, as the AI is basically the same regardless, using the same algorithms. But it was alot easier and cheaper for EA to throw together a 2d engine than a 3d one Wink (especially since they have to release the source, so they can't just use one of their "commercial" engines)

It IS easier to program the AI in 2d rather than 3d, but it won't take a "great" programmer to change it from 2d to 3d. The hard part is coming up with the algorithms themselves, not implementing them in 2d or 3d
Ah, that's true. But 2d has far less realism to be dealt with that 3d. Stuff like collisions, terrain height, etc etc etc are so incredibly much easier.
hmm... sounds like fun...

Kerm, you should add a /me filter in into the forums... like a
[me] runs in circles [/me] type thing...
You mean like Kevin has? Very Happy
KermMartian wrote:
Ah, that's true. But 2d has far less realism to be dealt with that 3d. Stuff like collisions, terrain height, etc etc etc are so incredibly much easier.

hehe, not necessarily. Look at how hard it is to get decent path finding in an RTS Laughing

collisions have to be delt with the same in 2d as in 3d, as its either an obstical or its not, this isn't a shooter where you'd be able to jump over em, its a tank, it can either climb the wall or it can't, no crouch-jumping here Wink
Eh, true. I guess I've been doing too much Blockland C# programming lately. Smile
you aren't doing AI though, are you? aren't you doing more vehicles and stuff?
I made a botAI with jon. Yay! Smile
Sort of. You made most of it, to be honest.
ou gave me some excellent inspirations though.
I 'spose it's true.
So is anyone gonna apply for that contest?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours