Just a quick scheme file.

And no, this isn't a Scheme interpreter for calculators. Ask Spencer on RevSoft for that Wink

For Notepad++:

Quote:
Notepad++ is a great tool for developers, featuring syntax highlighting, parenthesis matching, and automatic indentation among other things. It's great for all your coding needs, but it also has a conspicuous lack of syntax support for Z80 assembly programs. This language file adds Z80-specific information for N++ users to enjoy.

Turns out it's a LOT easier to make language files for Notepad++ than for Programmer's Notepad, so here it is! Again, comments, suggestions, post below.

Download

For Programmer's Notepad:

Quote:
Programmer's Notepad is a great tool for developers, featuring syntax highlighting, parenthesis matching, and tag closing among other things. It's great for all your coding needs, but it also has a conspicuous lack of syntax support for Z80 assembly programs. This Scintilla scheme file adds Z80-specific information for PN users to enjoy.

This is a dirty hack, but it should work. I'm cheating and using Scintilla's 68K Assembler lexer to read the scheme file, but Scintilla doesn't support Z80 ASM Razz

Suggestions are VERY welcome. In particular I need suggestions on what certain commands should look like, which commands I need to support, etc.

Download

For gedit:

Quote:
gedit ("Text Editor" in newer versions of GNOME) is a great tool for developers, featuring syntax highlighting, parenthesis matching, and automatic indentation among other things. It's great for all your coding needs, but it also has a conspicuous lack of syntax support for Z80 assembly programs. This gedit language file adds Z80-specific information for gedit users to enjoy.

Finally got around to making a gedit version. I had to make the XML file myself, but it was still far less confusing and better documented than the PN version. (IMHO, the PN implementation kinda sucks.) It works with both Windows and Linux versions really well.

Download
Great job, that should be helpful to the users of that program! I know that Benryves, for example, uses Programmers' Notepad. I wonder if he has any ideas on this...
One should note that Notepad++ also uses Scintilla so this may be useable there as well.
TheStorm wrote:
One should note that Notepad++ also uses Scintilla so this may be useable there as well.
Ooooh, really? If so, I definitely want to test it out! Jonimus, any idea what steps I would have to take, or should I JFGI?
KermMartian wrote:
TheStorm wrote:
Ooooh, really? If so, I definitely want to test it out! Jonimus, any idea what steps I would have to take, or should I JFGI?

Well just renaming it to .xml caused notepad++ to not be happy with me so the file may need some additional tweaking but as to what I'm not sure.
Meh, thanks for trying. I'll try to see wheat I can do with it tomorrow.
It's a bit different. Check out http://weblogs.asp.net/jgalloway/archive/2006/11/25/creating-a-user-defined-language-in-notepad.aspx; creating a new language for N++ actually seems pretty simple.
Well the thought was since they use the same underlying lib for displaying the source code that they lang def should be shareable, but I guess its not that easy.
It made sense, too bad it didn't work out. Sad I at one point had a style worked out, but I lost it in a hard drive crash, sadly.
By the way, on Notepad++ you have the 'User-Defined' language, you can set make it look like TI-Basic or Axe.

Which makes me think that maybe someone could create a language XML file for Notepad++ for Axe, TI-Basic and Z80?

Deep Thought, that looks cool!
Yep, I posted a site with some info on Notepad++ customization in an earlier post.

I don't have Notepad++ installed, but I might add it today just to try this stuff out. Is is more popular than PN?
I think people here use Notepad++ more than Programmer's Notepad.
Good work, though I can't help feeling the # or . before directive names should be highlighted as well as the directive itself. Smile
I think you're definitely right about that, but that doesn't mean we can be open to trying new things, especially when someone I respect as much as Benryves recommends it.
souvik1997 wrote:
I think people here use Notepad++ more than Programmer's Notepad.

Just downloaded it, and I can see why Very Happy

benryves wrote:
Good work, though I can't help feeling the # or . before directive names should be highlighted as well as the directive itself. Smile

Yeah, PN doesn't support # for some reason...

But anyway, made a version for N++! It was really easy to build compared to the PN version Razz

Wow, I will definitely be using this, Deep! Thanks!
Now _that_ is change that I can believe in. Can you upload an update to your file in the archive that includes that? Smile
KermMartian wrote:
I think you're definitely right about that, but that doesn't mean we can be open to trying new things, especially when someone I respect as much as Benryves recommends it.

Both use the same text editor component, so there are of course similarities - I just find Notepad++'s user interface painfully clumsy in places.

Deep Thought wrote:
Yeah, PN doesn't support # for some reason...

I have a hunch that's due to the "asm" lexer. Unfortunately, I believe Scintilla lexers have to be written as compiled native code, which is a bit of a pain in the posterior.
Accepted Deep_Thought's new submission.

http://www.cemetech.net/programs/index.php?mode=file&path=/win/asm/z80.xml.zip

In response to Deep Thought's IRC query, the following matches things like $405A, $D9, 200h, 0A6h, 9bcEh, etc.

Code:
(\$[0-9A-Fa-f]+)|([1-9][0-9A-Fa-f]*h)

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours