If you're going to produce commercial software, here are a few rules that absolutely everyone should follow:

1) Design without a purpose. Everyone knows that commercial software designed for an actual market doesn't sell. Design for a market with few people. Better yet, make sure the market doesn't even exist. A good example of this is the DJvu converter hosted at http://www.convertdjvutopdf.com/. Although few people have even heard of the format, let alone use it, a proprietary converter to the more widely used PDF format exists. Don't let the "freeware" signs fool you. To get any actual use out of it, you have to pay for it. That's exactly how I think software should be.

2) Don't bother bug testing. There's nothing like using some software only to have it bug out halfway through a large, time consuming project. It's even better if you allow the user to cause fatal errors and data corruption in the program simply by having the program running while they have text or other common things in their Copy/paste clipboard as Logicworks allows you to do.

3) Make it useless. Don't let utility slow you down. The off-line IP country finder by Fairdell software accomplishes this in an amazing 1 MB of space.

4) There may be half a dozen competitors in the market already offering software of equal quality for little to no cost, but don't let that stop you from making another Text editor or unit converter.

5) Use up all the memory you can. Just remember that your users are practically begging you to get rid of their extra memory space. Don't worry that your label maker uses up 200 MB. If anything, you should expect thank you letters in the mail from your users.

Keep these in mind, along with a thoughtful disregard for common sense and you'll be on your way to making millions from your next proprietary quadratic solver.
Hahah, don't forget:

6) When you update the software, make sure to fix only one or two current bugs and introduce ten or twenty more. Graphical updates are good too. Sell the updates for a decent amount of money. You want to create the illusion of progress without ever making any real progress. That way, you can maximize profit while minimizing effort. After all, you're in the game to make money. Who cares about the end user? Razz
7) And, for God's sake, make sure installation is full of unexplained choices that no new user could possibly understand, but which, if the wrong choices are made, will prevent the software from accomplishing what the user wanted.

8) And don't forget to not have any good support so that no user can find out how to correct the bad choices they made during installation (feel free to charge for mediocre, script-reader support).
9) Be sure to include an automated update service that forces the user to accept any pending updates before they can launch the software. Publish tiny patches at least once per day, so that every time the user starts your software, they have to go through the patch and update process. (Yes, Voobly, I'm looking at you)
What about, "closed software is immoral, wrong, and sums up all that is terrible with the world?"

Proprietartards.
allynfolksjr wrote:
What about, "closed software is immoral, wrong, and sums up all that is terrible with the world?"

Proprietartards.

It's not immoral, but it is definately the wrong philosphy. Everything should be open, so everyone can contribute to the development of it.
Oh by the way, Free software rules, Muffins are great, Pie is yummy, cake is a lie, and Linux rocks. k bye Very Happy
Commies.
merthsoft wrote:
Commies.

Well I am Chinese... Neutral
0rac343 wrote:
merthsoft wrote:
Commies.

Win.
0rac343 wrote:
merthsoft wrote:
Commies.

You just made this thread.
I think FOSS vs. commercial OSS vs. commercial closed-source software is probably a topic for a different thread, don't you think? If you guys disagree, though, you're welcome to discuss it here.
0rac343 wrote:
Oh by the way, Free software rules, Muffins are great, Pie is yummy, cake is a lie, and Linux rocks. k bye Very Happy

Complaining about a meme with an image macro seems pretty hypocritical.
merthsoft wrote:
Haha, I think you might be right about that, but I appreciate the sentiment that DShiznit was trying to get across. Here's a question for you FOSS Linux die-hard enthusiasts: when it's available, do you consider using non-FOSS drivers (example, WiFi) and software packages (example, Adobe Flash) on your machine?
Well its because with out Adobe Flash and such non FOSS drivers we couldn't DO anything. ie browse webs, watch videos etc
KermMartian wrote:
merthsoft wrote:
Haha, I think you might be right about that, but I appreciate the sentiment that DShiznit was trying to get across. Here's a question for you FOSS Linux die-hard enthusiasts: when it's available, do you consider using non-FOSS drivers (example, WiFi) and software packages (example, Adobe Flash) on your machine?
Kerm, the only non FOSS on my laptops linux install is the firmware for its intel wireless card and my graphics card. I even use openfwwf for the spare b43 based wireless card I have in there for testing things. I use free drivers whenever I can and from my experience while some things may not run as well it sure has made it so I have fewer crashes and can run the latest software without issue which is worth it for me.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours