Tanner and I have decided to create an online compiler for compiling z80 asm source. The user would be able to type source into a text box or upload source, and the website would output a .8xp file. Any thoughts or suggestions?
oooh, if you are going to use C# (or asp.net considering this will be online) can I help at all? If not, then I guess I can help test and stuff

Hmm, I would have to say this is a really neat idea.. for people who dislike zds and do not wanna use cmd to compile (brass `-`)
We're going to use CGI scripts written in Bash and maybe Perl. It may not be as secure as with other methods, but meh.
Awww, darn... Oh well, if you need me to help at all, feel free to ask ^.^
My thought would be to provide an API for me so I can plug SourceCoder into it. Smile Also, CGI is massively outdated.
CGI is easy to use, though, and then it's easier to use the Doors CS SDK to compile it.
*bump*
The compiler is finished, now we're trying to figure out how to prevent two users from compiling programs with the same name. It's still not ready for public usage though, sorry.
souvik1997 wrote:
*bump*
The compiler is finished, now we're trying to figure out how to prevent two users from compiling programs with the same name. It's still not ready for public usage though, sorry.
Aww, best of luck. I'm looking forward to this! Out of curiousity, are you using the DCS SDK on the backend?
Yes, we are using the Doors CS SDK. Smile
souvik1997 wrote:
Woo, awesome. What if someone wants to assemble a program that consists of more than one source file; is that permitted yet?
That's a good idea: multiple uploads!
KermMartian wrote:
souvik1997 wrote:
Woo, awesome. What if someone wants to assemble a program that consists of more than one source file; is that permitted yet?

That's not permitted yet, but it shouldn't be hard to do.
Is the assembler itself CGI or does it call Tasm/Spasm/Brass?
The online compiler is written in PHP, and it calls Brass.
Oh. I've always wanted to write an assembler entirely in PHP...
Deep Thought wrote:
Eh, it would be fairly slow; you'd be better off with Python if you insist on using an interpreted language.
the trick with that is finding a free web host with Python.
KermMartian wrote:
Deep Thought wrote:
Eh, it would be fairly slow; you'd be better off with Python if you insist on using an interpreted language.

PHP is slower than Python? Wow.
elfprince13 wrote:
the trick with that is finding a free web host with Python.

http://code.google.com/appengine/

Java would probably be the fastest, though Python would be way more fun to write.
Deep Thought wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
Deep Thought wrote:

PHP is slower than Python? Wow.
Oh yeah, absolutely. PHP is a lot heavier of a language.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours