Hey guys. I just felt like http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/ was worth sharing with those who might not have heard of it. Gerard Beekmans offers a free download of his book Linux from Scratch, which takes a kind of bottom-up approach to building a Linux system and offers an understanding of how the subsystems within Linux work together.

Since I'm sort of new to Cemetech, I wouldn't expect anyone to know that I'm a supporter of the open-source and free software movement (as I expect a lot of TI programming community members are as well), so you can imagine how much of a Linux fanboy I am and how happy I am that Gerard is giving this away to those interested at no charge. The book is available on his website in HTML and PDF format for the taking. I'm in the middle of reading this book, but as far as I can tell, this is an amazing resource and I'll definitely be donating to LFS in the future.

Just thought I should share it with you guys.
That's great to hear, Progbeard; thanks for sharing this tidbit with us. I too am a supporter of open-source, FOSS software, as should be obvious from the lack of money I make from my many years of work and from the general atmosphere I try to promote at Cemetech. Smile Regarding the actual concept of Linux From Scratch, I have never personally tried it, but I know of at least two people, one of whom is here and one of whom is not, who have tried to build their own LfS, and have found it to be a stunningly painful (although I'm sure extremely educational) experience.
Only a Linux site would have a "Stable book" directory Razz

I downloaded the PDF, although I'll never build a Linux OS.
This seems quite interesting, although it looks kinda difficult. I might try to do this later.
I thought about LfS'ing my own distro. I promptly asked the members of the Cemetech IRC channel to slap sense back into me. Smile
Progbeard wrote:
I wouldn't expect anyone to know that I'm a supporter of the open-source and free software movement ... so you can imagine how much of a Linux fanboy I am

And yet you just showed us a highly modified screenshot of your WINDOWS environment. Some fanboy you are.
I've thought about doing LFS sometime, which if you didn't know is how Arch got its start. Personally trying a BSD is higher on my list than LFS, at least for now. Maybe in the future that will change though.
TheStorm wrote:
I've thought about doing LFS sometime, which if you didn't know is how Arch got its start. Personally trying a BSD is higher on my list than LFS, at least for now. Maybe in the future that will change though.
I'd assume that it's how many distributions got their start. Smile I really don't feel like it's worth it for most of us to attempt Linux from Scratch, but I certainly would respect you for it if you gave it a try, Jonimus.
allynfolksjr wrote:
Progbeard wrote:
I wouldn't expect anyone to know that I'm a supporter of the open-source and free software movement ... so you can imagine how much of a Linux fanboy I am

And yet you just showed us a highly modified screenshot of your WINDOWS environment. Some fanboy you are.

A highly modified screenshot of my Windows environment? Or a screenshot of my highly modified Windows environment? Details, details.

Since when is being a Linux fanboy and hacking Vista visual styles to pieces mutually exclusive?
Several years back (around 2006–2007) I messed around with LFS and managed to get a full system with X up and running. This was long before I had virtualization, so there was a ton of booting in and out of it and my main system. Unfortunately, I kept running into weird intermittent glitches and other problems that I was never able to resolve and ended up giving up on it at the time.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours