I asked Kerm earlier about an RSS feed for the "weekposts" search, but I'd like to expand it to a more broad suggestion to include any search. Would it be possible / reasonable to request an auto-generated RSS feed for a search result, Kerm? (newposts, weekposts, "*Username*", etc...)

Would anyone else use this?
Given the usefulness of the search box, I don't think I'd benefit. I like the idea of a Weeks Post Feed, though.
I think it's a nifty idea. We should pester him to implement this along with the personal posts/time graph generator.
elfprince13 wrote:
We should pester him to implement ... personal posts/time graph generator.
Seconded!
elfprince13 wrote:
I think it's a nifty idea. We should pester him to implement this along with the personal posts/time graph generator.
Oh yeah, I had totally forgotten that I needed to implement that. Custom RSS feeds from searches might be a bit expensive, but a weekposts RSS feed is a nice idea.
KermMartian wrote:
Custom RSS feeds from searches might be a bit expensive, but a weekposts RSS feed is a nice idea.

I can't imagine it's much more expensive than generating the HTML page from search, and most RSS readers aren't going to pull data that frequently.
elfprince13 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
Custom RSS feeds from searches might be a bit expensive, but a weekposts RSS feed is a nice idea.

I can't imagine it's much more expensive than generating the HTML page from search, and most RSS readers aren't going to pull data that frequently.
True, but all it takes is a handful of users with abusive RSS clients to suddenly start decreasing performance for everyone.
Fair enough. Couldn't you time-limit it in the same way you do searches now?
elfprince13 wrote:
Fair enough. Couldn't you time-limit it in the same way you do searches now?
Oh, I suppose that I could just use the same flood-prevention system, couldn't I? That's an excellent idea. What does everyone else think about this?
I have to agree, this sounds like a great idea and I know of quite a few sites I visit for other things do this as well.
TheStorm wrote:
I have to agree, this sounds like a great idea and I know of quite a few sites I visit for other things do this as well.
Nifty, then I'll implement this and a weekposts feed. In fact, I'd be slightly tempted to remove the recent posts feed, but I won't. The question is, how should I expose the search RSS feed interface? Have a "Create an RSS Feed from this search" link in the search results?
That sounds like a good idea Smile Also, is there a way to get an RSS feed for replies to posts you have made? Mostly out of curiosity Smile
_player1537 wrote:
That sounds like a good idea Smile Also, is there a way to get an RSS feed for replies to posts you have made? Mostly out of curiosity Smile
That might be a bit overkill for now, I think, as far as payoff vs. coding time. Smile Sorry.
The usual search arguments passed to $_GET rather than $_POST, and a flag to generate RSS rather than html?
elfprince13 wrote:
The usual search arguments passed to $_GET rather than $_POST, and a flag to generate RSS rather than html?
Definitely, then should be easy enough, but the trick is expose it in some way so that users know the feature exists without reading this topic. Smile
Awesome! Smile Glad this may be implemented.

As for interfacing it to the user you could put an RSS button close by, or display a message like you advertise the "weeks posts" search like the "Create an RSS feed from this search" link you suggested. Should be easy enough to notice, for those who may be interested in the feature but do not yet know about it. Smile

Heck, you could even slap a mini RSS logo the height of the font to precede it to make it stand out a bit more Smile
Definitely, and I even already have such an image (see also: sidebar). In fact, I wonder if I could be super-tricky and make a phpBB template that's actually RSS XML for the server to fill in as if it was a page... Shock
Kerm: w.r.t to the templating - almost certainly
elfprince13 wrote:
Right after I posted that, I realized that the only tricky thing I'll have to do is check for $_GET['rss'] or something, and if it's isset(), then:

1) Use the RSS template
2) Omit the header and footer templates
KermMartian wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
Right after I posted that, I realized that the only tricky thing I'll have to do is check for $_GET['rss'] or something, and if it's isset(), then:

1) Use the RSS template
2) Omit the header and footer templates

1) Make a RSS header and footer as well and toggle all 3 Wink

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours