This is a game I started on that will be programmed in Hybrid Basic. Unlike other projects I put on Cemetech, I will post on this one frequently.

Calsiah will be a strategic board game. It borrows a couple of elements from RISK, but for the most part it is an entirely different concept.

For my first post, I want to make sure that the gameplay is appealing. Please comment or make suggestions on the gameplay!

Quote:
In creating the S.A.D. spin-off board game called Calsiah, my goal is to create a game in which both large, epic battles and smaller battles (such as harrasment) occur. I don't want Calsiah to be a game where a player moves every unit in a clumped up ball around and around the board, and I also don't want it to be a game where units are weakly spread all over the place. So I'll tell you what I've cooked up, please let me know what you think!

* The object of Calsiah is to take control of the planet Eralo (located in the center of the gameboard). You must control 4 outer planets before attempting to control Eralo.

* Each player starts with one "Operation Center" in a quadrant of one planet. In other words, each player starts with their own planet, controlling one section of it. It should be the player's goal to control all four sections of their planet, thereby controlling the entire planet.

* Each player also starts out with a basic assortment of all their units. These units start on the planet.

* Resources are generated each turn. Each Operation Center generates 10 belthium crystals. In addition, if at least two units control one of 8 asteroids around the planet Eralo, 1 ton of titanium is generated each turn for every asteroid controlled. (Think of belthium crystals as Starcraft minerals, and titanium as Vespene Gas.) Crystals and titanium are used to buy more units.

* By keeping a Scouter in one quardrant of a planet for one turn, an Operation center will be built. Build 4 Operation Centers and you gain control of a planet.

* You have a certain number of spaces you can move per turn, equal to the number of pieces you have. Some pieces can only be moved one space per turn, others can be moved many spaces per turn. Movement is mostly based on a grid, like a chess board.

* Air units can go wherever they please. Ground units must stay on the planet unless carried by dropships.

* There are three main reasons to attack: To establish map control, to take away an enemy's hold on titanium, or to eliminate control of planet quadrants.

* Ground units are the primary forces used for ground assault/defense when it comes to planets. (Air is not as good for planetery attacks except for harassment opportunities or emergencies). Ground units can be moved from quadrant to quadrant in a planet, but if a quadrant is under attack, the quadrant can only be defended by units in that quadrant. Just like the game of RISK, where a territory under attack cannot be defended by adjacent territories.

* If you control all four quardrants of a planet, you control the planet, and the planet is considered "impenetrable." Such a planet cannot be attacked unless 3 capital ships "break the shield," so to speak.

Seems cool enough although I must say that it might be hard to control the units stats because you only have 2 resources so one unit might be like cheap fodder and used to spam. Razz

But overall my main concern is about the size, and also the sheer amount of variables you must use.

And also screenshots? and what libraries are you using? Celtic3, Xlib, Axe DCSlibs?
0rac343 wrote:
Seems cool enough although I must say that it might be hard to control the units stats because you only have 2 resources so one unit might be like cheap fodder and used to spam. Razz

But overall my main concern is about the size, and also the sheer amount of variables you must use.

And also screenshots? and what libraries are you using? Celtic3, Xlib, Axe DCSlibs?

The unit stats thing won't be as hard as it sounds. I'm keeping it simple.

I don't have any screenshots because this game is still in the planning stages. But here's some "concept art:"

http://www.omnimaga.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=7537.0;attach=7108

The library will be Correlation. It's a library that's in beta testing stages, and it allows people to use display text using custom fonts, but at a faster rate than Output( and Text(. The library also makes it easier to work with tilemaps.
This sounds very well thought out, though as 0rac343 said, quite complex. I question the wisdom of using yet another new hybrid library (especially after I went through the trouble of adding all the existing ones to Doors CS Wink ), but I'll be interested to see how it works out. When you talk about four-player multiplayer, since you mentioned turns, will all the players be playing on a single calculator? Too bad you're not using ASM, where you could utilize CALCnet. Smile
You won't have to add Correlation to Doors CS, unless you insist on it. Correlation is built to work with ANY library, even future ones. Besides, Correlation is my own work, so naturally I should show it off Razz Smile

To answer your question, this is two-player multiplayer, it will support both link play and on-calculator.

So Kerm, I noticed that Obliterate was used for online internet playing. I will probably use an ASM program with Calcnet to allow that kind of thing for Calsiah.
If you were to use CALCnet (I'm not sure how much you know about CALCnet), the gCn stuff comes for free. gCn is basically CALCnet over TCP/IP, so nothing special needs to be programmed on the calculator for it to be usable over gCn. And indeed, since CALCnet works perfectly well for two-player link cable multiplayer, I feel like it's the best bet in every direction. Smile That makes sense about Correlation, thanks for explaining. Perhaps there should be a thread about that as well here, because I'm not really familiar with it. Wink
KermMartian wrote:
That makes sense about Correlation, thanks for explaining. Perhaps there should be a thread about that as well here, because I'm not really familiar with it. Wink

That's a fair request. I feel the best thing would be to give you the manual, because it has an introduction and everything.

Correlation Manual [PDF]
Now I understand, thanks for sharing. I'm a little confused on how it's different than custom fonts with Omnicalc, but as long as it plays nicely with Doors CS, you'll hear no complaints from me. Smile
*Heh*, you and your Doors CS Smile Smile

Correlation is different from Omnicalc custom fonts because it doesn't use the font hook. So text displays faster (with a rewritten text-displaying routine), and you can still use Output( and Text( to display the standard Ti-83+ font. In addition, you can use graphics and sprites to replace the letters A-Z, something that would have made text impossible to read with a font hook.
Hot_Dog wrote:
*Heh*, you and your Doors CS Smile Smile
Me and my Doors CS indeed. Razz

Quote:
Correlation is different from Omnicalc custom fonts because it doesn't use the font hook. So text displays faster (with a rewritten text-displaying routine), and you can still use Output( and Text( to display the standard Ti-83+ font. In addition, you can use graphics and sprites to replace the letters A-Z, something that would have made text impossible to read with a font hook.
Very nice, so it sounds similar to using the xLIB tilemap features, with letters instead of sprite indices, and on a 5x7 grid?
Quote:
Very nice, so it sounds similar to using the xLIB tilemap features, with letters instead of sprite indices, and on a 5x7 grid?

Not quite a 5x7 grid. Font characters can be up to 16 pixels wide and up to 16 pixels high.
Correlation? Interesting I'd like to see it, so if there is a link...?

EDIT
The links don't work for me... Sad
0rac343 wrote:
Correlation? Interesting I'd like to see it, so if there is a link...?

Sure, although I'm afraid there's a LOT of information.

Here's the forum:

Correlation Forum

If you want to read the manual about it, click the topic that says "New Correlation Manual." For a couple of cool screenies of Correlation in action, go to the third page of this topic:

Starcraft: Zeratul--Eye Candy
Thanks. Looking forward to using correlation sometime soon.
I don't suppose you'd consider a topic here at some point? Smile Thanks for the clarifications on the variable character sizes, that sounds neat! It has to be standardized on a per-font basis though, right?
KermMartian wrote:
I don't suppose you'd consider a topic here at some point? Smile Thanks for the clarifications on the variable character sizes, that sounds neat! It has to be standardized on a per-font basis though, right?

I think I'll do a topic, though not immediately. It was easier to talk about it when it was under development, but now there's too many features to talk about

Each font has its own character size, yes. The character size is part of the font data.
Tilemapping will be alot easier, although I must say that hopefully this new utility won't spout out a lot of mediocre deluge of programs claiming "Best RPG on TICALCZ!!!!!!"

No offense intended Hot_Dog. Smile
I think most community coders are more mature than that by now, 0rac343. Smile Getting back to the topic at hand, I hope that you'll have some more mockups of screenshots and gameplay for us soon, Hot_Dog! Another thing that's been bothering me for a very long time - why does your TI-83+ z80 ASM tutorial signature have a TI-83 image?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours