How do we get the actual post content from Cemetech's RSS feed? And could it be extended to view the entire forum?
_player1537 wrote:
How do we get the actual post content from Cemetech's RSS feed? And could it be extended to view the entire forum?
Do you mean from this Cemetech feed? You would use the <description> field, start after <span class="postbody">, and continue until you reached "_________________". Do you mean in the context of the TTS RSS Reader?
Mostly I would want it so I could write a client that would let you check the forum and would remember what posts you have and haven't read so you wouldn't have to log in (Though I would still log in so I could post, but still). The Cemetech feed you linked to just shows recent posts, right? I'd also eventually want to use the TTS RSS (feedburner!) program with it.
Tanner, why not just start a private browsing session (ctrl-shift-P in Firefox) and browse Cemetech through that? Your cookies are not used in Private Browsing, so your new posts will not be cleared.
Cookies are still somewhat used though, right? I can log in from websites in Private Browsing and it will still remember that I logged in and would still erase my new posts. (Or do you just mean so I won't auto-login, because I have that option turned off). The other reason I'd want to do it is so the site will be easier to use for some people, and it would be a fun challenge Smile
KermMartian wrote:
Tanner, why not just start a private browsing session (ctrl-shift-P in Firefox) and browse Cemetech through that? Your cookies are not used in Private Browsing, so your new posts will not be cleared.

But you will get a new last-login time in the database...
_player1537 wrote:
Cookies are still somewhat used though, right? I can log in from websites in Private Browsing and it will still remember that I logged in and would still erase my new posts. (Or do you just mean so I won't auto-login, because I have that option turned off). The other reason I'd want to do it is so the site will be easier to use for some people, and it would be a fun challenge Smile
Yes, cookies are still used if you log in; I meant to start a private browsing session and not log in. I think a cleaner solution than a whole new client to your problem, therefore, would be some mechanism that lets you restore your set of unread posts from a particular session.
But then I don't learn anything Razz Though I would like the ability to restore to old unread posts Smile
_player1537 wrote:
But then I don't learn anything Razz Though I would like the ability to restore to old unread posts Smile
I think that I could add that, although the weekposts thing is supposed to solve that. Razz I think writing a client would be cool, though!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours