I had a bit too much time on my hands and found a nifty trick for quickly leveling your spells.

(hopefully, you've already played the game and are familiar with how these mechanics work)

Since the experience a skill / spell gains depends on the "rank" of the enemy you use it on, it's incredibly difficult to raise spells after level 10 or so. With standard enemies, (ranks 1 - 3) it would take hundreds of uses.

First, some prerequisites: Have Minwu in your party, or a character with a reasonably high-level "Blink" spell. (alternatively, the character whose spells you want to raise can have the high-level "Blink" spell themselves) Make sure the character has a decent amount of MP. (let's say 300+) Also make sure you've power-leveled enough that your HP is around ~2000. Finally, you will need the canoe so that you can traverse rivers.

- Travel to the Mysidian region. You can reach it by crossing the river (via canoe) directly west of Altair. Head south to find the Mysidian region. If you aren't sufficiently power-leveled, the enemies here will wipe you out.

- When you make your way just outside of Mysidia's village, kill off all characters except the one whose spells you want to raise, and the character with the high-level "Blink" spell. (unless your solo character already has a high-level "Blink" they can use on themselves)

- Get into an enounter with a group of "Black Flans." (or a mixed group, as long as there is one Black Flan) Black Flans have a rank of 5, which is sufficient for raising skill levels. At this point in the game, a rank-5 enemy is fairly hard to encounter.

- Repeatedly cast "Blink" on your character, until the Black Flan simply can't attack him / her.

- Start spamming the spell you want to raise, until you run out of MP. Finish off the Black Flan and end the battle once you have no MP remaining. Supportive spells and status spells that won't affect the Black Flan will have a better chance of prolonging the battle and allowing you to waste all your MP. Offensive spells are likely to make quick work of Black Flans. If you're not using offensive spells, it's a good idea to defeat all but a single Black Flan. (that reduces the time spent waiting on enemies to attack you)

By the end of the battle, it's very likely you've gained a full spell level. This technique is ideal for mastering the Toad spell so that you can get better rewards from the Snowmobile mini-game.
Thanks for sharing, Zera! You've clearly thought this out very carefully, and that seems like a solid methodology. I don't play the game myself, so I'm sure that I can't fully appreciate the ingenuity, but I hope other people can.
Aww, THIS game >Sad I cannot get anywhere after getting minwu because whenever I go past a certian point extremely powerful monsters attack and kill me in 3 turns or less
qazz42 wrote:
Aww, THIS game >Sad I cannot get anywhere after getting minwu because whenever I go past a certian point extremely powerful monsters attack and kill me in 3 turns or less
Then clearly you need a higher power level before you go to Minwu, if I'm reading Zera's post correctly...? I could be totally off-base, though. Smile
Not really, you get Minwu after completing the quest to fyn (first quest). I be you I am just going to the wrong place as this happened even during the first quest (strong monsters)
Oh ok, that makes sense. Thanks for clarifying; maybe I'll have to actually try the game at some point, or at least explore one of the very many community Final Fantasy games.
This game was fun but a real challenge I never was a huge fan of the powering up system and felt it to be flawed

That being said this actually is a good way to up your levels on spells and such another idea would be to cast the spells on your own party before killing them in the fight to get even more levels for each spell/offensive attack.
The game is notoriously difficult because of the world's open-endedness. Rather than scale enemy encounters so that they're always an adequate difficulty for your party, you can very well walk into some dangerous outlands with enemies that would normally appear in the final areas of the game.

Attacking / casting spells on your own party members helps to develop your abilities, but I'm not sure how it compares to doing the same with high-ranking enemies. Because the whole system depends on the rank of what you're attacking - and characters don't have ranks - I don't think it's easy to develop a skill by repeatedly using it on a player character.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours