elfprince13 wrote:
comicIDIOT wrote:
  • Sony has been the victim of a very carefully planned, very professional, highly sophisticated criminal cyber attack.
  • We discovered that the intruders had planted a file on one of our Sony Online Entertainment servers named “Anonymous” with the words “We are Legion.”

Sounds like butt-covering to me. Does anything seriously think a bunch of /b/tards are out to make a buck on credit cards? Where are the lulz to be had?
I'm pretty sure that they just wanted to hack the servers and screw with Sony... I mean, has anyone's credit card been affected of this yet?
Several credit card companies are reporting theft claims on accounts tied to the sony leak, but those claims could themselves be covers for people's own mistakes, or even outright fraud. Hell, if my credit card had been part of this, I'd have out-of-state relatives buy things with it and claim it as stolen...
This can only conceivably be met with this:

It's almost like Sony has never considered security before.

In other news, the Japanese government has forbade them to bring PSN back online without first satisfying outside investigators that appropriate measures have been taken to ensure security.
And.....here it goes again. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/faster-forward/post/lulzsec-releases-sony-data/2011/06/02/AGGcLWHH_blog.html
Yeah, read that on msnbc. lol They should consider shutting the network down and redoing the whole thing with security.
tifreak8x wrote:
Yeah, read that on msnbc. 0x5 They should consider shutting the network down and redoing the whole thing with security.
From what I can tell, that's what they did. And even if someone tried to use that list, Sony released a firmware update that required all users to change their password. So if all 77 Million users, have in-fact signed in already, that list won't hurt anyone.
comicIDIOT wrote:
tifreak8x wrote:
Yeah, read that on msnbc. 0x5 They should consider shutting the network down and redoing the whole thing with security.
From what I can tell, that's what they did. And even if someone tried to use that list, Sony released a firmware update that required all users to change their password. So if all 77 Million users, have in-fact signed in already, that list won't hurt anyone.
But you also realize there are many people who don't update their firmware right away for multiple reasons.
One great thing comming out of this, is that as soon as the store is back up, every PSN member gets 2 free games. Since I created a PSN account back in 2008 when I got my first PSP, I qualify!

Though on a more serious note, could this be a harbinger of things to come? Sony isn't the only one to get hacked recently, it feels like everyone and their grandmother is getting their info stolen. So my question is, are we going to have to live in a world where internet hacking is commonplace, and happens every day? What do we do when our credit card numbers become the new spice and grain of piracy?
Basically....don't be an idiot.
elfprince13 wrote:
Basically....don't be an idiot.

Yes, but there are ALWAYS going to be large amounts people who simply can't use the internet effectively. That said, it doesn't matter how smart you are with your information if the banks and services that deal with your money can still be hacked. What happens when people's credit card numbers are traded faster than penny stocks?
TheStorm wrote:
comicIDIOT wrote:
tifreak8x wrote:
But you also realize there are many people who don't update their firmware right away for multiple reasons.
Yes, which is why you had an option to change your password via an internet browser, which was flawed then fixed once the exploit was noticed.
comicIDIOT, but the fact that they had all of their users' info in plain-text files is mind-blowingly stupid. Even Cemetech has better security than that, and we're not a billion-dollar company.
KermMartian wrote:
comicIDIOT, but the fact that they had all of their users' info in plain-text files is mind-blowingly stupid. Even Cemetech has better security than that, and we're not a billion-dollar company.

Cemetech doesn't follow the cheap industry standards adopted by Sony and others. Was what Sony did even saving any money before the hack? I can't see why it would be any more cost-effective to hash your names rather than encrypt them.
KermMartian wrote:
Their security flaws were heavily publicized Wink And, I'm talking post-hack, not pre-hack. Where users were finally allowed back on PSN, and in-order to get online users had to updated the firmware which required a mandated password change. Which, could either be on the PS3 or on Sony's website.

If you'd like to see where I'm coming from, re-read this post downward.
On a related note, this LulzSec group also hacked Nintendo, as reported in this Gizmodo article, but they don't seem to hate Nintendo as much as they want to make fools of Sony.
I wonder when Xbox will be hacked and all the high-and-mighty Xbox Live Members will feel silly Razz
comicIDIOT wrote:
I wonder when Xbox will be hacked and all the high-and-mighty Xbox Live Members will feel silly Razz
The way things seem to be going these days, as DShiznit astutely pointed out, with service after service getting compromised and inflitrated, it seems like it's only a matter of time. Sad
KermMartian wrote:
comicIDIOT wrote:
The way things seem to be going these days, as DShiznit astutely pointed out, with service after service getting compromised and inflitrated, it seems like it's only a matter of time. Sad

Exactly. Lets take a tally of just those I can remember in the last year or two:

The Palin Emails
Apple/AT&T
Sony PSN
Sony again
PBS (Tupac is ALIVE)

And then there are the various security breach claims involving facebook and other sites.

What do we do when these hacks become daily, and our personal data isn't safe anywhere, or with anyone? Is that the point at which we have to regulate the internet, do we attack countries from which numerous frauds and hacks are instigated(Nigeria, China, etc.), or are we going to be forced to accept the theft of our money and identities as a day-to-day obstacle, like road construction or bad weather?
No, we start forcing companies handling potentially sensitive information to regulate their sites for unusual activity as well as implement better security protocols and fix security holes. Well, ideally at least. You can't kill the crackers. You can only make it too difficult for most of them to get in (which includes regular security upgrades).

Until my dream of reasonable security on information comes true, I'll stay content keeping the only sensitive personal information with my Bank.

EDIT: Forgot about my school, which has more holes and bugs in its system than swiss cheese. It even stores account passwords unencrypted... Mad
Qwerty.55 wrote:
No, we start forcing companies handling potentially sensitive information to regulate their sites for unusual activity as well as implement better security protocols and fix security holes. Well, ideally at least. You can't kill the crackers. You can only make it too difficult for most of them to get in (which includes regular security upgrades).

So the government should take over private companies they don't think are being safe with people's info?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours