So I was trying to make a block in Minecraft that, when activated (right or left click), would expand into a building. I had been doing it so far with a ton of trial and error as I couldn't think of a better way. While thinking about it the other night, I thought it would be possible to set up an array and use for loops to get the values stored 1 at a time. The thing is, I have no earthly idea how I would do that. There would probably be a lot of arrays, but far easier in the end. I know how to display the blocks, and I just would have to change 1 value to be the arrays value. Does anyone know how I could get a for loop to get me values from an array?
http://download.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/
Kllrnohj wrote:
http://download.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/

I thought for sure you were smart enough to realize I always look into those sort of things before I make topics or posts... I guess I need to think of you as the attempted helpful "troll" pointing out the obviouse. :p Now enough picking on you and make a real reply.:p
I seem to always do better to see an example instead of their "argument" listings and links to the other objects used and needing to go all over the place for 1 thing, not the 50 I would have to go through and still be lost.
Why would you need a lot of arrays instead of one array? If you actually would, why not use a single 2D array instead of a lot of 1D arrays? To use a for loop you would just, you know, use a for loop over the array; I'm not sure I understand your question.
KermMartian wrote:
Why would you need a lot of arrays instead of one array? If you actually would, why not use a single 2D array instead of a lot of 1D arrays? To use a for loop you would just, you know, use a for loop over the array; I'm not sure I understand your question.

I am making a 3D object that isn't a perfect cube, it has a hollow inside at places, a single array is far from what I need.
Sounds like a single 3D array is exactly what you need.

Here's an example where I create a 100x100x100 integer array, fill it with some multiplication, and then print it out:

Code:
int[][][] a = new int[100][100][100];
for (int i = 0; i < 100; i++) {
   for (int j = 0; j < 100; j++) {
      for (int k = 0; k < 100; k++) {
         a[i][j][k] = i*j*k;
      }
   }
}
for (int i = 0; i < 100; i++) {
   for (int j = 0; j < 100; j++) {
      for (int k = 0; k < 100; k++) {
         System.out.println(i + ", " + j + ", " + k + ": " + a[i][j][k]);
      }
   }
}
Sonlen wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

I am making a 3D object that isn't a perfect cube, it has a hollow inside at places, a single array is far from what I need.
That wasn't clear at all from your first post. Razz Depending on what percentage of it is filled, you either want a three-dimensional dense array, or a single sparse array of three-tuples.

Edit: To clarify, lest it seem I was ignoring Merth's well-thought-out post, I was introducing the alternative of sparse arrays.
Well after a ton of research (I never have really used an array, much less a 2D array(also forgetting that an array is more of a list, while a matrix is like a 2D array)) and finding out how to store to it, I found it, then I see Merth's post, it is close to what I needed, downside is I need 2D because each layer isn't the same size, but I will be back if I start having issues.

One more quick question, is there an easy way to store objects to a oh.. 30x30 2D array like
array1[30][30]
and not have to store each value one by one, maybe a way to store values to it in a loop but not necessarily using one value?

I can post an example array later when I can get one of them made.
Well I have figured out 90% of my issue, I can set array's up manually when I create it, but I cannot get it to work by setting it up like:

Code:
int[][] floor = new int[42][42];

I would love to make creating those shorter, but I can't figure out why I cannot assign anything to it...
How are you trying to assign to it? You could just do floor[x][y] = whatever;.
merthsoft wrote:
How are you trying to assign to it? You could just do floor[x][y] = whatever;.

I am trying to use for loops to store a value, such as:

Code:
1 = floor[a1][b1];

To store values to the array 1 value at a time.

Code:
floor[a1][b1] = 1;

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours