The interwebverse is alive with news that Osama Bin Laden, popularly blamed for the September 11th attacks on America, is dead, and that the US has his body. I assume that we'll be getting a lot more detail on this soon. This comes from a 10:30pm EDT press conference from the President.

"CBS Congressional producer Jill Jackson reporting House Intelligence Committee aide says Obama will announce Osama bin Laden is dead."
Link to article? Google yields nothing.
Live newsfeed: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/42852646#42852646
Live stream on White House web site: http://www.whitehouse.gov/live

NYT confirms: https://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/02/world/asia/osama-bin-laden-is-killed.html?hp
Very nice, Tari, thanks for sharing that. Seems like the NYT site is under high load atm though.
Ha, yeah, I tried loading but it keeps dying for me :<
He's still on the 10 Most Wanted list.
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
Yeah, that's what they're worrying about updating right now. Obama hasn't even come on yet!
Heh, it says Usama Bin Laden, the people in the FBI office might not be smart enough to know it is Osama :p (joking, of course)
Seeing this my first response is, does anyone really care anymore? Even if people did I still would not as an individual, even the head individual, in a network as fragmented (or distributed if you prefer) as that which he the the "leader" of is not that important. That is the source of the power of such networks, losing one node is meaningless to the composition of the network.

What seems more likely to me is this, either the gov't is tring to distract (it's very good at that, look at all the controversy we don't hear about until after it is enacted into law) or the GOP is using this to say "See? We got him! This huge debt bringing war wasn't for nothing!" Frankly, given the militant attitude the GOP has (by and large with very few exceptions among the politicans) this is how they want to justify their driving the US into a debt with WILL lead to the collapse of empire.

Anyway, as I am sure there will be a lot of opposition to what I say, let the flames begin...
Good riddance. But this could also create a problem. They are pissed that we killed him. There might be a new "Osama" in the coming months.
Huh, this isn't even in Google's list of hot searches yet; when did the news come out?
It's breaking. The president hasn't even announced it yet.
ParkerR wrote:
Good riddens. But this could also create a problem. They are pissed that we killed him. There might be a new "Osama" in the coming months.
I find it entertaining how ingrained the "They" and "us" is in your mind, glad you're consuming what the media is feeding you. Razz I agree with ElderofMagic for the most part; I feel that maybe this has some symbolic significance, but I don't expect that it's of major strategic significance.
Elderofmagic wrote:
Seeing this my first response is, does anyone really care anymore? Even if people did I still would not as an individual, even the head individual, in a network as fragmented (or distributed if you prefer) as that which he the the "leader" of is not that important. That is the source of the power of such networks, losing one node is meaningless to the composition of the network.

The dude killed 3000 people, while it certainly won't end the hatred, we did need to get him sooner or later

Quote:
What seems more likely to me is this, either the gov't is tring to distract (it's very good at that, look at all the controversy we don't hear about until after it is enacted into law)

Except they haven't made a big deal out of this, or even talked about it at all. the news media has been providing us with all the hype.

Quote:
or the GOP is using this to say "See? We got him! This huge debt bringing war wasn't for nothing!" Frankly, given the militant attitude the GOP has (by and large with very few exceptions among the politicans) this is how they want to justify their driving the US into a debt with WILL lead to the collapse of empire.

While I agree the wars were a bad idea that helped drive us into debt, none of them had anything to do with us nabbing Bin Laden. That was a covert raid, exactly the kind of thing we should have been doing from the beginning.

Quote:
Anyway, as I am sure there will be a lot of opposition to what I say, let the flames begin...

You're more or less on the right track, you just messed up a few details.

Regardless, this is yet another accomplishment Obama can add to his belt.
Evidently it got liveblogged: http://mashable.com/2011/05/02/live-tweet-bin-laden-raid/
Too bad nobody was watching because no one cares about a random Pakistani's boring life.
[quote author=Stefan Bauwens link=topic=8130.msg150231#msg150231 date=1304329933]
How can you make jokes? How can you say 'I'm glad they got him'???
The KILLED him! Isn't it immorral?
I wouldn't mind if they put him in prison or so, but killing?
And I can't understand that you can laugh with this...
[/quote]

This. I'm absolutely horrified that people are cheering in the thousands that he's dead, from a moral standpoint. Okay, yes, this mean it may save others, and even make some families who suffered from 9/11 feel some closure, but still. He [s]is[/s] was a human being. I'm relieved he's dead, but I'm also sad and I pray for him. Not even he should burn in the eternal froth of hell.

However, I can't say this is a bad day, though. While I think it's wrong to cheer he's dead, I think it's more appropriate to cheer that 'Al-Quieda is soon a-gonna crumble'. Just my thoughts.
Except Al-Queida isn't going anywhere, they've long been run by an entirely different set of people from the 9/11 planners. This could however flush them out. As they come out of hiding to plan and execute revenge attacks, we can nab them.
Seems that Bin Laden wasn't armed when he was shot and killed:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42882664

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours