Hello,
I've been working on a new shell in Axe for a while now. The Axe Terminal I made before was simply a proof of concept that a shell could be done with Axe, and it was leading up to this latest app of mine - TI-Gnome. TI-Gnome aims to be a complete recreation of the Gnome desktop environment for the TI-83+ family. It features a fully fledged GUI system, as well as the basic layout for simulated multitasking eventually. It works with a GUI tree, where GUI is recursively rendered with support for any number of nested containers (within the restraints of memory). The following GUI elements are supported (and shown in the screenshot below):
-Window: A window is a customizable entity that can be moved about the screen, with optional close, minimize, and maximize buttons, all of whom have their functions enabled by the shell itself. You may also choose to not show it in the taskbar, and to control it's initial location, size, and maximized/minimized state.
-Text: This provides a simple display of text
-Button: An interactive button that, when clicked, calls a registered event handler's address
-Checkbox: This displays text and a box (which may be checked or unchecked) whose state toggles upon being clicked
-Progress Bar: A progress bar shows an empty box, filled somewhat (a value out of 256)
-Static Image: A static image displays an 8x8 image
-Image Button: An image buttons shows an 8x8 image that shares the same behaviour as a button
-Context Menu: A context menu has a rectangular area of sensitivity that may be right clicked and display a developer-specified set of menu options, each with it's own registered event handler address to be called when it's clicked
-Message Box: A message box is shown when the MessageBox shell function is called and simply alerts the user to text. The event handlers that are hooked up to the GUI in the demo display such a message box.

Planned Controls:
-Radio Buttons
-List Box
-Combo Box (partially done)
-Text Box
-Window Menus (like the File...Edit...etc menus)
-Timers (these have an event handler that is called every so often for logic to be performed)

Planned Features:
-Multiple desktops
-Getting the Applications, Places, and Settings menus actually working
-Oh, I don't know, perhaps actually launching programs from the shell? Wink

On a side note, this runs at 6 MHz.

Looks like an Interesting and well made UI toolkit, but do you really need such rip-offy and terrible name.

Also from the looks of it this is more like TI-GTK, but since this isn't a GNU project, TI-TK would work, except TK is also already taken by a UI toolkit.
TheStorm wrote:
Looks like an Interesting and well made UI toolkit, but do you really need such rip-offy and terrible name.

Also from the looks of it this is more like TI-GTK, but since this isn't a GNU project, TI-TK would work, except TK is also already taken by a UI toolkit.

I mentioned this on IRC: the name stays. It is meant to give the look and feel of Gnome. The name should describe what it is. I'm focusing on the GUI right now, and less on the actual Gnome-ness, but it will be pretty a close when I'm done.
I'd say it looks a lot more like Doors CS than Gnome to me (including the mouse pointer and checkbox, which SirCmpwn asked me for permission to use the sprites from).
Ok then tell me when it looks like http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/78/Gnome.png/750px-Gnome.png and has any sort of code actually from Gnome in it. Oh and Let me know when you plan to release the source under the GNU GPL license since the G in Gnome stands for GNU.

Also Gnome is more than just the UI toolkit and Window manager, it is all of the programs that are part of the gnome project. Good luck porting, not just making clones of them, to the calcs.

That said it does look good so far, but using the notoriety of a project such as Gnome just to get more downloads bugs me a lot. If this was actually part of the Gnome project or you were using their code that is one thing but this isn't the case. I don't mean to sound like I'm bashing your hard work because it does look cool, I just dislike the fact that you are using that name and yet are not related to the Gnome project's look and feel.
TheStorm wrote:
Ok then tell me when it looks like http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/78/Gnome.png/750px-Gnome.png and has any sort of code actually from Gnome in it. Oh and Let me know when you plan to release the source under the GNU GPL license since the G in Gnome stands for GNU.

Also Gnome is more than just the UI toolkit and Window manager, it is all of the programs that are part of the gnome project. Good luck porting, not just making clones of them, to the calcs.

That said it does look good so far, but using the notoriety of a project such as Gnome just to get more downloads bugs me a lot. If this was actually part of the Gnome project or you were using their code that is one thing but this isn't the case. I don't mean to sound like I'm bashing your hard work because it does look cool, I just dislike the fact that you are using that name and yet are not related to the Gnome project's look and feel.

1) I'm modeling it after Gnome 2, not 3.
2) I'm not using their code, I'm cloning it.
3) You can go ahead and suck my a.
I must admit that I too have a problem with using the names of existing programs to get more name recognition and therefore downloads. I find many of the games in the community, for example, that are directly named after their ideological inspiration regardless of how closely they resemble the original to be a shame (and yes, early in my BASIC programming career, I made several such gaffes). I think it shows more originality and ingenuity to the programmer who is implementing a games, program, or feature normally found on enormously more powerful hardware for said programmer to also come up with an entertaining, cool, and unique name as well (I still like my IRC suggestion of TI-Edsgeist, actually).

Edit: While we're on the topic, it doesn't look like it offers anything that the DCS GUI API doesn't already provide, plus I'm sure it lacks things like text input, dynamic cursors, super-optimized memory manipulation, etc (although you likely do indeed have those planned), so I'm curious why not just wrap the DCS GUI for Axe.
KermMartian wrote:
I must admit that I too have a problem with using the names of existing programs to get more name recognition and therefore downloads. I find many of the games in the community, for example, that are directly named after their ideological inspiration regardless of how closely they resemble the original to be a shame (and yes, early in my BASIC programming career, I made several such gaffes). I think it shows more originality and ingenuity to the programmer who is implementing a games, program, or feature normally found on enormously more powerful hardware for said programmer to also come up with an entertaining, cool, and unique name as well (I still like my IRC suggestion of TI-Edsgeist, actually).

I will think about the name for a while. I am not likely to change it, but if I or anyone else can think of a good replacement, then I shall rename it.

KermMartian wrote:
Edit: While we're on the topic, it doesn't look like it offers anything that the DCS GUI API doesn't already provide, plus I'm sure it lacks things like text input, dynamic cursors, super-optimized memory manipulation, etc (although you likely do indeed have those planned), so I'm curious why not just wrap the DCS GUI for Axe.

It offers simulated multitasking (eventually), and will also do text input soon. As for super-optimization, it is still one page in size, though it is undoubtedly optimizable as it is written in Axe. Dynamic cursors is on the planned list and is actually quite easy to implement. It also features more with concern to window manipulation, and has a different GUI structure.
Different underlying data structure, sure, but at the end of the day it accomplishes the same thing as the DCS GUI, and doesn't do anything that users couldn't do with the DCS GUI with clever use of the available tools with no modification of the backend. Also, the DCS GUI actually only consumes around 8KB, or less.
KermMartian wrote:
Different underlying data structure, sure, but at the end of the day it accomplishes the same thing as the DCS GUI, and doesn't do anything that users couldn't do with the DCS GUI with clever use of the available tools with no modification of the backend. Also, the DCS GUI actually only consumes around 8KB, or less.

Perhaps I just wanted to do it for myself? DCS doesn't offer the same kind of context menu, or built in progress bars, or a lot of the other stuff I'd like. Plus, I don't have the source to DCS 7 to modify myself.
I can't see the pictures because they are hosted on Omnimaga, so I can't say much about how it looks until I get on my iPod. However, I agree that the name usage isn't really my favorite. Also, I assume you know, but just double-checking: no double-posting. *goes to fix*
TheStorm wrote:

Agreed. This isn't a GNOME or GNU project, so as much as I love the GNOME environment, I don't think the name should be used. (Basically just agreeing with TheStorm's points as-is)
Again, with the amount of negativity towards the name, I have agreed to start thinking up a new one. If you have a good name, go ahead and present it for approval in the meantime.
DwarfWM
How about TI-Box?
TI-Troll.

Also, I was able to see the screenshots, looks nice Smile Though I do see a lot of similarity with DCS, I also see quite a few things different. Good work so far, and hopefully this won't become one of those projects on the stack of things for you to do.
_player1537 wrote:
Also, I was able to see the screenshots, looks nice Smile Though I do see a lot of similarity with DCS, I also see quite a few things different. Good work so far, and hopefully this won't become one of those projects on the stack of things for you to do.

I like DwarfWM, I'll probably rename it to that when I get around to it. And my current list of project to-do's is Motherload+DwarfVM, then Half-Life 2: OC, then some other stuff. KnightOS and other projects made on a computer are on hold until I can reliably code on a PC.
*DwarfWM, you mean. Smile Unless you're planning on it being the frontend to a VM as well. What exactly is your goal for DwarfWM? Do you intend for people to write programs for it as if it was a shell sort of thing?
KermMartian wrote:
*DwarfWM, you mean. Smile Unless you're planning on it being the frontend to a VM as well. What exactly is your goal for DwarfWM? Do you intend for people to write programs for it as if it was a shell sort of thing?

I do intend for it to be like a shell. I figure the biggest draw will be the way I intend to do simulated multitasking.
SirCmpwn wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

I do intend for it to be like a shell. I figure the biggest draw will be the way I intend to do simulated multitasking.
What kinds and varieties of programs are you planning on supporting, both in terms of shell-compatibility and, for example, archived/RAM.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours