Edit: Visitors, if you got here, this was a joke. There's is no Casio Prizm NES emulator yet. Read this topic for a discussion of why this is infeasible.
------
I have actually almost completed a working Super Nintendo Entertainment System emulator, almost ready to use, for the Casio fx-CG10 Prizm! Here are some quirks/features:

- unfortunately, only some of the intended screen can fit on the prizm's screen at a time. by default, the top and bottom 17 pixels get chopped off and shifted out during rendering, but I'm making it so you can toggle the area that gets blocked out Smile

- the speed is a bit slow, but it's actually quite good. It's about 60% of that of the original hardware. Makes some games easier to play -- I'll try to up that number to 80% by true release time Smile

- supports many games already!

Here is a list of working games:

- Zelda: a link to the past
- Super Mario Bros. 3 (has some trouble when you use the flower upgrade, for some unknown reason ???)
- Mario Kart

List of non-working games:

- Donkey Kong Country series
- Final Fantasy IV and VI
- Castlevania

Please test some more games for me by sending everything in the .zip folder to your prizm along with a SNES ROM! Here are the instructions for how the addin works:

1. Read the .txt readme. If you don't nothing else will work as it includes vital information that you can't live without.
2. Don't touch that .bat batch file. Read the readme first -- the batch file will not work (and may be damaging) unless you already sent the stuff to the prizm and followed all other instructions.
3. Open "SNESemu.g3a" add-in once it is on your prizm. it should bring up a "Use which ROM" menu, and will take a second to unfreeze -- it takes a minute to read all of the ROMs in all storage memory, so stay patient. Pick the Rom you want and press F1.
4. play the game! the buttons are mapped right now to:

A - F1
B - F2
Start - Exe
Select - F6
L/R - Sin/Tan

Please leave any bugs, concerns, or ideas here so I can fix them/add them!

~Ashbad

PS: You can find all necessary files at http://www.dalaniansoft.co.cc/index.php/category=snesemu/files/listed.htm

And, a mock-up of what it looks like:

I had to fix your image link there, spaces are represented by %20 if you didn't know :p
You need to fix that other link as well for the files, but I have no clue were it was supposed to link to.
So Ashbad, you already have a PRIZM? I'd love a video of it in action.
Scout, it's a joke. The Emulator doesn't actually exist.
Hence I said 'I want a video'. I knew Ashbad couldn't make this (in so short time after learning and without a PRIZM).
from the specs I've seen, it wouldn't be horrible to emulate it, but I would put it as a 3.5/5 in a how-hard-to-make-this-as-an-emulator scale.
/me facepalms for not noticing the forum section this is in....
I don't think I really get the joke, but haha anyway. Razz
TheStorm wrote:
/me facepalms for not noticing the forum section this is in....

I commend you for your naivety in trusting me. Trust me, never make that mistake.

Kerm, I see -- of course, I was only spinning off of the PS3 emulator on a 89T meme.
Even if it's a joke, this would be a great project.
If you can put a bloody DS emulator on a PSP, you can put an SNES emu on a high-end calculator- no question.
DShiznit wrote:
If you can put a bloody DS emulator on a PSP, you can put an SNES emu on a high-end calculator- no question.

Wasn't that just a straight port from the PC version which ended up running super-slowly?
calc84maniac wrote:
DShiznit wrote:

Wasn't that just a straight port from the PC version which ended up running super-slowly?

No idea. I never bothered with it, but there's also an N64 emu for PSP that works pretty well for some games, and that's more or less the in the same hardware tier as the DS.
In all honesty, though, this is probably a feasible project. I'd say both Gameboy and Gameboy color would be probably possible, and NES almost definitely; I would be unsurprised if the SNES could be put on a Prizm as well.
RAM might be an issue. Unless you can stream cartridge data from ROM or something.
There's a huge differences between "possible" and "runs fast enough to be useful." Sure, Ashbad could likely port some SNES EMU C code, but it'd probably be slow as heck on-calc. It'd be a PITA to write an emulator for the entire instruction set of the chip from scratch as well as the peripherals, though.
Qwerty.55 wrote:
There's a huge differences between "possible" and "runs fast enough to be useful." Sure, Ashbad could likely port some SNES EMU C code, but it'd probably be slow as heck on-calc. It'd be a PITA to write an emulator for the entire instruction set of the chip from scratch as well as the peripherals, though.
Ah, that's a good point. And calc84, another good point; do either of you happen to know offhand how big the SNES's RAM is?
Wikipedia says:

Code:
Memory reference
Main RAM    128 kB
Video RAM   64 kB main RAM
            512 + 32 bytes sprite RAM
            256 × 15 bits palette RAM
Audio RAM   64 kB
It sounds like an NES would be pretty doable, though:

Wikipedia wrote:
The NES contains 2 KB of onboard work RAM. A game cartridge may contain expanded RAM to increase this amount. It also has 2 KB of video RAM for the use of the picture processing unit (PPU), 256 bytes of OAM (Object Attribute Memory) to hold a display list, and 28 bytes of palette RAM. The system supports up to 32 KB of program ROM at a time, but this can be expanded by orders of magnitude by the process of bank switching. Additionally, cartridges may contain 16,360 bytes (nearly 16 KB) of address space reserved as "Expansion Area", which often contained an 8 KB SRAM. Expanded Video memory (VROM or VRAM) may also be available on the cartridge (on-cartridge mapping hardware also allowing further Video expansion past 12 KB)

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours