Ok, i'm starting a new project for a friend and i'm in way over my head on this one Sad . I'm wanting to create a system that allows a user to input three things: Title; Description; And phone number. I would like for these things to then be saved to a database. That is my first problem to overcome the second is that i need everything saved in the database to be displayed in a webpage almost like a Craigslist search. I would only need the title to be displayed for this , and when a user clicks on the title it shows the rest of the information. Craigslist is the best example that i can think of that resembles what i'm wanting. If anyone could point me in the right direction or tell me if i'm going about this the wrong way that would be very useful. Sample code would be terrific since I have never done this before.
Foremost, I think it might be a good idea to give http://w3schools.com/sql/default.asp and/or http://w3schools.com/php/php_mysql_intro.asp a look-over. W3Schools is pretty good at explaining this stuff.

I'm sure Cemetech's resident smart people can help you further, too Smile
MySQL sucks. PostgreSQL is the only way to fly.
I already have a LAMP server set up , and I would like to use this. I am also doing this so I could learn a little in the process.
LS, Alpine, Mail, and Perl?
Sounds like you want to learn about INSERT and SELECT (and presumably eventually UPDATE and DELETE as well).

allynfolksjr wrote:
LS, Alpine, Mail, and Perl?

*facepalm* @ the Washington kid.
Are you insulting the greatest IMAP client on Earth?
allynfolksjr wrote:
Are you insulting the greatest IMAP client on Earth?

Tribute. I'd never even heard of Alpine, but instantly knew it was a successor/replacement for Pine (and yes I know that was UW too).
1) It sounds like you want to use a bit of CSS+Javascript goodness to show/hide divs when you click on item titles.

2) PHP to generate the forms to be filled out!

3) Don't forget to do proper sanitizing of the inputs before you store them in the database.

4) Ignore our native PostgreSQL troll.
KermMartian wrote:
4) Ignore our native PostgreSQL troll.

Troll? Why he's simply a radically conservative promoter of alternative software! Wink

*ahem*

I definitely have to stress Kerm's 3rd point. Definitely sanitize. Wouldn't want some mischievous lad FUBAR'ing your database or whatnot. [Insert XKCD Bobby Tables joke here, much to Merth's protest]

Forgive my momentary brainfail, but why use PHP to generate such a simple form?
Tsukasa: To just generate an insert form, you definitely wouldn't. If you want to give the user a list of rows, though, and let her or him select a row, have a form with the fields filled in, and be able to edit those fields, is a simple two-PHP-script job.
Thanks everyone for the input I've managed to throw something together. I will now just tweak it until it's perfect(which is never).
anselmot wrote:
Thanks everyone for the input I've managed to throw something together. I will now just tweak it until it's perfect(which is never).
Nifty, good to hear. Be sure to hit us up again with your future questions!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours