I was wondering if it would be possible to write a web-based emulator(using java or flash or something) for the TI-83/84 series that could then be used to run all of Cemetech's calculator games in a flash-arcade-like fashion? Under such a system, high scores could be maintained site-wide, so members could compete with each other to see who could get the best scores in their favorite calc program, or even have tournaments, much like the flash arcade Mix-Networks and other forums have had. What do you guys think?
It's an interesting idea. However, each game would have to be handled entirely differently due to the different methods of saving -- many games don't even save things such as highscores, so new versions would be needed. It's an awesome concept, but would most likely be a PITA to implement.
I don't think its possible to make a Web Emu, maybe you could talk to the guys at WabbitEmu and ask them to include this functionality.
Ashbad wrote:
It's an interesting idea. However, each game would have to be handled entirely differently due to the different methods of saving -- many games don't even save things such as highscores, so new versions would be needed. It's an awesome concept, but would most likely be a PITA to implement.

I'm thinking the site could maintain global program, list, matrix, etc. sets that all the embedded programs can save to and read from, as virtually all calculator games use one of these methods for high-score saving.
One of the problems would be that users would have to upload their own ROMs, since those are illegal to distribute.
If they were games that natively supported CALCnet, then the globalCALCnet server could trivially support high-score storing. Smile
seana11 wrote:
I don't think its possible to make a Web Emu, maybe you could talk to the guys at WabbitEmu and ask them to include this functionality.

It's entirely possible; check out http://www.virtualnes.com/
Global vars are nasty. All heck can break loose if you use those.
souvik1997 wrote:
One of the problems would be that users would have to upload their own ROMs, since those are illegal to distribute.
I'm not sure you'd even need roms. All the emu would need to do is translate the ASM and TI-BASIC programs into something that can be displayed on a webpage. Even if you really needed a rom to do this, it only needs to be encrypted and stored locally on the site, not distributed to clients.
Quote:

Yea, but for a complex calc?
seana11 wrote:
Quote:

Yea, but for a complex calc?

A TI-83+ is a lot less "complex" than an NES.
Hmm, never used NES, so...
seana11 wrote:

Then have a uniform saving system on the global calc-net servers like Kerm suggested, and have instructions for programmers who want to submit their works for use in the arcade on how to use that system.
seana11 wrote:
Are you sure that you're posting in the correct topic?
Both are far less complex than things such as web-based SNES or even Gameboy Advance emulators, so, entirely possible as ultimate Dev'r said.

Quote:
I'm thinking the site could maintain global program, list, matrix, etc. sets that all the embedded programs can save to and read from, as virtually all calculator games use one of these methods for high-score saving.

That's actually something I didn't consider -- and it would save a bunch of effort if it was executed that way Smile Though, as Souvik correctly pointed out, the ROM issue would be an... issue.
KermMartian wrote:
seana11 wrote:
Are you sure that you're posting in the correct topic?

Yes, and isn't the whole point of using Global vars so you don't have to recode everything?

Quote:
Then have a uniform saving system on the global calc-net servers like Kerm suggested, and have instructions for programmers who want to submit their works for use in the arcade on how to use that system.

Defeats the point
The only reason I can think of that you'd need the rom is if you wanted to run the TI OS. Since we only want to directly boot the program, I don't think you'd need the rom. You'd only need to emulate the hardware if I understand correctly.
If you have various different programs all using Global vars for various different uses all at the same time, you have a problem.
DShiznit wrote:
The only reason I can think of that you'd need the rom is if you wanted to run the TI OS. Since we only want to directly boot the program, I don't think you'd need the rom. You'd only need to emulate the hardware if I understand correctly.

What about bCalls?
seana11 wrote:
If you have various different programs all using Global vars for various different uses all at the same time, you have a problem.

That's true. But could we not have a virtual set of vars set aside for each individual program?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours