[quote="seana11"][quote="KermMartian"]
seana11 wrote:
Quote:
Then have a uniform saving system on the global calc-net servers like Kerm suggested, and have instructions for programmers who want to submit their works for use in the arcade on how to use that system.

Defeats the point

I think it actually was the best idea present so far. That way, even an emulator wouldn't have to be made and while it would require some re-writing, I'm sure it really wouldn't be much.
DShiznit wrote:
The only reason I can think of that you'd need the rom is if you wanted to run the TI OS. Since we only want to directly boot the program, I don't think you'd need the rom. You'd only need to emulate the hardware if I understand correctly.

What do you think the programs run on?
DShiznit wrote:
seana11 wrote:
If you have various different programs all using Global vars for various different uses all at the same time, you have a problem.

That's true. But could we not have a virtual set of vars set aside for each individual program?

How would you extract the Highscores from all the different vars? Wouldn't that suck up memory?
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
DShiznit wrote:
The only reason I can think of that you'd need the rom is if you wanted to run the TI OS. Since we only want to directly boot the program, I don't think you'd need the rom. You'd only need to emulate the hardware if I understand correctly.

I agree, what about bcalls? You still need all those.
seana11 wrote:
DShiznit wrote:
seana11 wrote:
If you have various different programs all using Global vars for various different uses all at the same time, you have a problem.

That's true. But could we not have a virtual set of vars set aside for each individual program?

How would you extract the Highscores from all the different vars? Wouldn't that suck up memory?

What I'm saying is that each program have it's own space to read and write it's high scores to, isolated from every other program.
Hehe, this is entirely possible. I would suggest NOT writing the emulator in JS unless you have tons of free time and you think it's worth it. And even still, you would need a ROM...

BUT - as I've said, it's possible. In fact, it has already been done. Netham45 sidestepped the legal issue by hosting the emulated calcs himself, and he is allowed to do such since he owns a TI-83. The user never downloads a ROM - just simply uses a "VM instance" of a calc.

That said, it was a beta, and you couldn't send/receive vars. And of course, no such thing as linking at all.

Just a random thought.

EDIT: I should mention pretty fast that the web emulator is down, so don't ask for links. Razz
seana11 wrote:
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
DShiznit wrote:

Can't you emulate those without using the official rom file?
seana11 wrote:
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
DShiznit wrote:

Those are provided by the OS....
alberthrocks wrote:
Hehe, this is entirely possible. I would suggest NOT writing the emulator in JS unless you have tons of free time and you think it's worth it. And even still, you would need a ROM...

BUT - as I've said, it's possible. In fact, it has already been done. Netham45 sidestepped the legal issue by hosting the emulated calcs himself, and he is allowed to do such since he owns a TI-83. The user never downloads a ROM - just simply uses a "VM instance" of a calc.

That said, it was a beta, and you couldn't send/receive vars. And of course, no such thing as linking at all.

Just a random thought.

EDIT: I should mention pretty fast that the web emulator is down, so don't ask for links. Razz

That's actually what I was suggesting before
DShiznit wrote:
seana11 wrote:
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
DShiznit wrote:

Yea, but there's a LOT of them.
DShiznit wrote:
seana11 wrote:
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
DShiznit wrote:

Assuming you know the behaviors of all the system calls you want to use then sure.
DShiznit wrote:
alberthrocks wrote:

Just a random thought.

EDIT: I should mention pretty fast that the web emulator is down, so don't ask for links. :P

That's actually what I was suggesting before

This is cool, but it would be hard to get highscores as before.
What if you had a special bCall to handle Highscores? Of course that would require porting...
seana11 wrote:
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
DShiznit wrote:

Please don't double post Wink
seana11 wrote:
DShiznit wrote:
seana11 wrote:
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
DShiznit wrote:

Still a manageable number to code though.
Quote:

Hmm... Is there a collection of all of them? I have a help file on my PC with some, but only around 50
seana11 wrote:
What if you had a special bCall to handle Highscores? Of course that would require porting...

A BCALL is nothing more than a 'subroutine' and is read as normal z80 code. Using BCALLs called by the actual program wouldn't work, it only applies it's functions to the device itself.
Ashbad wrote:
seana11 wrote:

A BCALL is nothing more than a 'subroutine' and is read as normal z80 code. Using BCALLs called by the actual program wouldn't work, it only applies it's functions to the device itself.

Explain, you're being vague.
We'd only need the most commonly used ones, as well as the flags and ram areas. But IMO while it might be a cool project I don't think its really worth it.
seana11 wrote:
Quote:

Hmm... Is there a collection of all of them? I have a help file on my PC with some, but only around 50

http://wikiti.brandonw.net/index.php?title=Category:83Plus:BCALLs:By_Name

Also, you might want to read Learn TI-83 Plus Assembly In 28 Days, then post in this topic again.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours