calcman wrote:
Microsoft visual studio is still in beta form and isn't complete so I don't want to use something not completely bug free

o.0

VC++ 2010 isn't a beta anymore, and if you really want you can still get VC++ 2008...

You want this: http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/products/2010-editions/visual-cpp-express

Just download, install, and enjoy.
Visual Studio is in beta....? It's been around for many, many years; it's definitely not a beta.

Edit: And I see Kllrnohj's post on the following page ninja'd me on that.
Okay it isn't in beta but It says for evaluation purposes only. ?
calcman wrote:
Okay it isn't in beta but It says for evaluation purposes only. ?

Get the *EXPRESS EDITION*

I freaking linked directly to it.

Jeez, if you can't figure out how to download VS...
Okay, with all of that downloading and setup behind me, I still have a question about Visual Studio. I wrote out a really simple program as a test, then right clicked its name and selected compile, compiled correctly, tried to run my program but all it did was flash up and then off, what can I do?
Either:
  • Start without debugging (Ctrl+F5).
  • Run the program from the command line.
  • Set a breakpoint on the closing brace or return statement of your main function (click in the gutter to the left of the line and a brown highlight should appear - alternatively, select the statement/line and hit F9).
Or just put a "getchar();" before your main() returns.

The reason it pops up and then vanishes is because the program finishes - use something like getchar() or set a break point like Ben suggested to prevent the program from finishing before you can see its output.

@ben: Ctrl-F5 no longer works in 2010 as it did in 2008. The console window now immediately closes with ctrl-F5 just like F5. I thought that was a setting, but I can't seem to find it.
Okay, I will try that thanks.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours