To be clear, this is one rogue guy with a particularly powerful dictatorial administration. He is not representative of the party as a whole, and the party as a whole (hopefully) doesn't reflect his values.

That said, what he's doing, shutting down one of the most successful secondary schools in nation in the name of financial BS, is EVIL. This is the ONLY school these young pregnant women can go to. Without it, they LOSE THEIR RIGHT TO AN EDUCATION.

http://maddowblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/06/07/6805405-principal-detroits-shutting-down-catherine-ferguson-academy

The man also has the balls to arrest and silence everyone who protested the closing. Now I know he isn't representative of all Republicans, or even most Republicans, and this certainly doesn't mean that any other Republican is anything like him, but until their leadership recognizes this behavior as wrong and rejects it, they might as well be doing it themselves. I just feel sorry for the poor girls who are now going to be forced to grow up without an education because of a corrupt governor and his "Emergency Financial" fascism.

Oh, and abortions are going to be sky-high now that teen mothers(which often includes rape victims too mind you) are going to have to choose between their own future, and having their child. So good job on that one too mine Fuhrer.
If I understand correctly, it isn't the governor, but the "Emergency Manager" instated by the governor. In either case, it is a terrible thing that is being done here.
elfprince13 wrote:
If I understand correctly, it isn't the governor, but the "Emergency Manager" instated by the governor. In either case, it is a terrible thing that is being done here.

Which is why it troubles me that no Republican leaders are saying anything about this. I've heard a handful actually praise the governor for his "creativity" in "solving this problem".
looks like this one backfires in the guy's face, he just makes more abortions happen Sad while I can't make a valid argument here (I don't really know enough to say enough), from what I can see from skimming this guy is a dick.

EDIT: also, I appreciate your caution with saying how it doesn't just frame republicans Smile it makes your posts seem much more though-inducing and more fair to both parties.
Ashbad wrote:
looks like this one backfires in the guy's face, he just makes more abortions happen Sad while I can't make a valid argument here (I don't really know enough to say enough), from what I can see from skimming this guy is a dick.

EDIT: also, I appreciate your caution with saying how it doesn't just fram republicans Smile it makes your posts seem much more though-inducing and more fair to both parties.

Well no one else is really saying anything about abortions(not that this guy would care), that was simply the logical conclusion I came to given the options that will be available to pregnant teens after this school closes.
How about more thought is given to preventing teen pregnancies in the first place? I think this stuff is kind of out of control. :/
tifreak8x wrote:
How about more thought is given to preventing teen pregnancies in the first place? I think this stuff is kind of out of control. :/

That would be what this program was for, breaking the cycle of teen pregnancy. By making sure this generation of mothers can get an education and lift themselves out of poverty, you get less impoverished and irresponsible mothers in the next generation. The dwindling of students over the last few decades(which was used to justify closing this school) is proof the program is working.
tifreak8x wrote:
I am too lazy to actually make my own post so instead I quote people and then don't say anything new
DShiznit wrote:
tifreak8x wrote:

That would be what this program was for, breaking the cycle of teen pregnancy. By making sure this generation of mothers can get an education and lift themselves out of poverty, you get less impoverished and irresponsible mothers in the next generation. The dwindling of students over the last few decades(which was used to justify closing this school) is proof the program is working.

I am too lazy to actually make my own post so instead I quote people and then don't say anything new

The program they're shutting down is what was addressing that problem, and it was one of the most successful programs of it's kind in the country.
Ouch. Even with the argument that you should be preventing this from happening, this is not going to help. Honestly, it's like some republicans try to make the party look bad.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours