I (zeldaking) have started on my biggest and toughest project ever, called Condor (may be changed with notice). This is written in axe, with no axioms, and will be a app (or a program with crabcake). This will be a 2 player (may make a computer player and a storyline), game, you have to protect your base while trying to destroy your enemy(s), similar to a gameboy game (that i can't remember the name).
There are:
-multiple maps
-unlockable vehicles/weapons
-85 grayscale sprites(at the moment)
-18 unique troops ready to be deployed
 -infantry
 -artillery
 -transport vehicles
    -air transports
    -vehicle transports
    -water transports
 -tanks
    -light tank
    -heavy tank
    -neo tank
 -helicoptor
 -bomber
 -jet
 -submarine
 -cruiser
 -battleship
 -missiles
 -anti air machine guns

So far I have all the sprites done, a nice scrolling tilemap, a info screen; which tells you what terrain/weapon/vehicle/person you are on, and a movement screen; which allows your troops to: walk, capture, attack.
Here is a screenshot of all the above except (walking,capturing,and attacking).

Any question, comments, concerns? Please feel free to comment.

This is quite ambitious, but already looks great. Good luck with this! It'd be really cool if you got an AI for it.
I know I have been working on it for a while already. Yes, AI would be sweet.
Very impressive so far! I see that you have grayscale, which probably precludes some kind of linked multiplayer using CALCnet/globalCALCnet, but I still would love to see that happen. I hope you keep us up-to-date as you make progress!
Well it is in axe, so I would have to use the 2 pin linking cable, which would ruin my grayscale, which needs help. Thanks for the kind words all of you kind friends.
Well, if you were using CALCnet, it would work via I/O or USB, but the interrrupt's overhead would probably still make your grayscale fairly unattractive, sorry to say.
I have completed all of the selection menus for the factory (building troops) and it went more smoothly than I expected, will get a screenshot after school.
Lookin' good. What's the next step?
I finished all of the sprites. Now if you click on a white factory, sprites are white, if black it shows black sprites.
Now I will do menus for the Aircraft and boats/submarines factories. After that maybe the attack selection so it works or the move or the capture. (for infantry)
Great, keep up the good work! I know well enough how annoying those little bits of features can be to glue together, despite how vital they are.
Sorry, I have quit work on Condor. It is due to axe won't compile my program anymore. So I am bagging all of my old code and starting over. Sprites will be similar. I will make a beta release that has the basic things; people (that can fight), cities(that can be captured) and other landscape. Then after that is done I will add other features instead of going all out before hand. Thanks for your patience.
Why wouldn't Axe compile your program? Maybe we could fix whatever is causing it to not compile.
I don't know, Axe freezes when I try to compile it into a App. Sad I need to start over anyways my code was lousy and inefficient. I don't want to give out the source code because if I finish in time I want to enter it into zcontest. Smile
You could perhaps share your code in private, with something like Type With Me or another form of "Multiplayer Pastebinning". Wink Bagging all code and starting anew will likely chunk out a lot of future progress you could have begotten had you just gone over and fixed the errors.
Ashbad, I'm pretty sure that's still a violation of contest rules. Razz Just because you share your code in secret doesn't make it any less sharing the code. Smile Zelda, might you consider going either a pure ASM or hybrid BASIC route, or are you set on making an Axe game for yourself?
KermMartian wrote:
Ashbad, I'm pretty sure that's still a violation of contest rules. Razz Just because you share your code in secret doesn't make it any less sharing the code. Smile

Really? I thought it had the rules set so that you could receive help on the project, but it would impact the judging score if you did; just as long as you didn't do something like post the code on the forums or upload the source somewhere public. Or perhaps I'm thinking of the recent Axe Contest.
I will probably try to port this to asm when I finish it, in axe.
Ashbad, if that is indeed the case, though, that would still require you to be honest about the help you received, and publicly discussing such help would probably be the best way to be honest about it, I would think. Smile I've never heard of contests allowing help, but then again, I've never heard of contests that allow pre-deadline beta releases. Very Happy
Okay change of plan, I got all my old source code, and have decided to use it. I have changed a lot of it so there is better grayscale and is a lot faster, so I will use it. More info as I work on it coming soon.
I know this project has halted to a standstill, I am very sorry I have been slacking off on it. But I have made plans for the Beta version which shouldn't be to hard to finish with my code I have now. Thanks for being patient.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours