I just saw this article about an "FPS" in which you are actually a War Correspondent, not a soldier, and are armed with a camera not a gun. I thought it seemed like a fascinating concept, although how exactly the game mechanics will work is a little unclear to me. What do you-all thing?
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/09/warco/
I think that actually looks like fun. Im personally not a great shot in any fps game and enjoy the story elements much more.

As for the game mechanics it looks a lot like a build your own story. Basically going where you want to go filming what you can and building up your story/career around that. Seems like its definetily a game for the story lovers compared to the shooters though.

I can say I would probably enjoy it.
it will work like pokemon snap obviously
elfprince13 wrote:
What do you-all think?
I love the concept. There are a few photography styled games on the market but their all boring and are mainly a selling point for a specific camera manufacture, in the case of "Afrika," Sony Alpha's are the exclusive cameras in the game and features real cameras and equipment schematics. While I'd expect nothing less out a photography game to have legitimate cameras, I, however, don't expect a racing game to only feature cars from one manufacturer. While a wildlife game certainly has that "boring" feel, it could be quite entertaining.

Moving forward, Warco seems to bring the fast pace action found in War FPS games to a boring genre. I think the only thing that would make this game rock is if the scoring system isn't completely artfully based. War photography - photojournalism in general - is definitely something entirely different than traditional photography. You need to be looking in the right direction, at the right time in the right place. With a camera, you also need to make sure you captured the right moment; which is why those 10+FPS cameras come in handy. Hopefully the game features both photo and video journalism.

Since photojournalism is vastly different, the game should likely score points based on what is captured and from where. A shot with action in the frame would be worth X points, and if it's centered it'd be Y points. If you don't get close to the action (whether zooming or by means of transportation) you get B points and if you manage to get close, you get C points. Open world would be another great factor. FPS stories are way to linear, you're told to go somewhere and you go there.

This game should utilize an open world concept. Generally, as a photojournalist you have a story to capture which involves staying with a group of people. Plus, in this game, you're in a war zone so you won't really have much option where you can go. There'd also better be some action on the Z-Axis for once, too many past FPS games only focus on a ground level approach. Perhaps you want to get a shot from on top a high rise with a nice 11mm aspherical lens and a 2 Stop Neutral Gradient Density filter to catch the fire and smoke of battle within the skyline against the high noon sun. The particular photo may not score much points but it'd be a perfect photo to hang on a wall (in real life).

I'll keep an eye on the game, it might be something I pick up.
Sounds like Call of Duty had an illegitimate child with Pokemon Snap. Might be fun.
I really hope not, I didn't like the rails aspect of Pokemon Snap. :/

I don't really like rail games in general.
comicIDIOT wrote:
I really hope not, I didn't like the rails aspect of Pokemon Snap. :/

I don't really like rail games in general.

Scripted events would have been hell without the rails.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours