I plan on being a perfessional coder and programmer and i will wear suit and tie everyday.

Unless I work for myself in which case i wont leave the house so it really does not matter.
Aes_Sedia5 wrote:
I plan on being a perfessional coder and programmer and i will wear suit and tie everyday.
Why?
I am a professional programmer, and you saw my dress code.
I think one distinction we're making here is between programmers who have to deal directly with the customer, and thus must maintain some sort of of dress code, and those who don't, who may be free to pick their own dress code?
KermMartian wrote:
I think one distinction we're making here is between programmers who have to deal directly with the customer, and thus must maintain some sort of of dress code, and those who don't, who may be free to pick their own dress code?

Depends. The comments on the article suggested in some cases the suits prefer being able to present an identifiable nerd-on-a-leash to customers for psychological impact.
When I see someone in a suit I don't deem them nerds, I see them as Kerm describes.
I see them as someone who wanted to put on a suit.
I agree. I like wearing a suit because it makes me look more in control. If you were a boss would you hire the mediocre programmer wearing a nice suit and tie. Or would you hire the good programmer ( not the best that is a different story.) that is wearing holy baggy jeans and a tee shirt. Smile
Aes_Sedia5 wrote:
I agree. I like wearing a suit because it makes me look more in control. If you were a boss would you hire the mediocre programmer wearing a nice suit and tie. Or would you hire the good programmer ( not the best that is a different story.) that is wearing holy baggy jeans and a tee shirt. Smile

The clothes wouldn't matter to me, I would hire whoever is the better programmer. Wink
Aes_Sedia5 wrote:
The better programmer, unless the boss is an idiot, and then I don't want to work for him anyway. Like I said, I interviewed in shorts and t-shirt and got hired almost on the spot.
If I had two equally competent programmers and one dressed more nicely than the other, I would higher the better-dressed programmer, but that's just the kind of boss I would be. That's far from claiming every boss would do the same.
I'd wear all black to an interview. Or a black shirt with decent slacks if it's not too formal. But I'm a composer, not a programmer.
Will_W wrote:
I'd wear all black to an interview. Or a black shirt with decent slacks if it's not too formal. But I'm a composer, not a programmer.
In that case, you bring up an extremely interesting point. Why among all professions have programmers decided that their skills should speak for themselves? Why not the same of newswriters and stockbrokers? Surely their articles and their success records respectively should show their aptitude and professionalism.
Agreed, they should.
Musicians dress up because we're performers. I wouldn't dress up for a rehearsal (unless I was going to a rehearsal of a piece I wrote), although I still want to look decent to make a good impression and get my music played.
Will_W wrote:
Musicians dress up because we're performers. I wouldn't dress up for a rehearsal (unless I was going to a rehearsal of a piece I wrote), although I still want to look decent to make a good impression and get my music played.
Indeed, because you feel that a good impression makes people respect you when they see you, before they even get a chance to evaluate your skills. So wherefore the divide? Merth, some thoughts?
I usually wear khakis and a t-shirt. I'll occasionally swap in a polo shirt or layer a button-down shirt over the tee if I want to be a little fancier (or if everything else needs to be washed..). Black leather boots if I'm feeling unusual or the weather is nasty.

KermMartian wrote:
In that case, you bring up an extremely interesting point. Why among all professions have programmers decided that their skills should speak for themselves? Why not the same of newswriters and stockbrokers? Surely their articles and their success records respectively should show their aptitude and professionalism.
Newswriters and stockbrokers are both old professions. Programmers don't have nearly as much history, and most business that programmers deal in isn't done face-to-face. Beyond that, hacker culture in general tends to be more meritocratic than society at large.

It can be fun to dress up sometimes, but it takes more effort than just throwing on a t-shirt in the morning, and it's very easy to make that comfortable. As for well-tailored fancy clothing being quite comfortable, I won't deny that. However, a nice basic cotton shirt is much cheaper.I don't know about anyone else, but cost-effectiveness tends to be a major factor in my decision-making. Therefore, t-shirts tend to win out over anything else.
As for preferring khakis, I just don't at all care for jeans.
I hate jeans, all of my pants are corduroy or khaki.

Edit: excluding all of my black dress pants. (it's the only color you ever need)
Tari wrote:
Programmers don't have nearly as much history, and most business that programmers deal in isn't done face-to-face. Beyond that, hacker culture in general tends to be more meritocratic than society at large.

And our history really began to take shape during the counter-culture movements of the 60s and 70s.
elfprince13 wrote:
Tari wrote:
Programmers don't have nearly as much history, and most business that programmers deal in isn't done face-to-face. Beyond that, hacker culture in general tends to be more meritocratic than society at large.

And our history really began to take shape during the counter-culture movements of the 60s and 70s.
And indeed I know a few old-school, highly-skilled hackers who still dress like it's the 70s. I'm talking hardware- and software-hackers, not a modern programmer who writes Java and talks about synergy. Razz

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours