KermMartian wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
Tari wrote:
Programmers don't have nearly as much history, and most business that programmers deal in isn't done face-to-face. Beyond that, hacker culture in general tends to be more meritocratic than society at large.

And our history really began to take shape during the counter-culture movements of the 60s and 70s.
And indeed I know a few old-school, highly-skilled hackers who still dress like it's the 70s. I'm talking hardware- and software-hackers, not a modern programmer who writes Java and talks about synergy. Razz

There's also the adage that a programming language lives and dies with its creator's beard (or general voluminousness of their facial hair).
I thought that only referred to RM Stallman, no? Although this old-school hacker that I was thinking of did indeed have a fairly impressive beard, come to think of it.
KermMartian wrote:
I'm talking hardware- and software-hackers, not a modern programmer who writes Java and talks about synergy. Razz

No one calls those kind of programmers "hackers" Razz
Qwerty.55 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
I'm talking hardware- and software-hackers, not a modern programmer who writes Java and talks about synergy. Razz

Absolutely, unless they're hopelessly delusional, but I feel in this topic we're straying from true hackers to professional programmers in general.
KermMartian wrote:
Qwerty.55 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

Absolutely, unless they're hopelessly delusional, but I feel in this topic we're straying from true hackers to professional programmers in general.
I have a feeling ones ability to grow a "chin-beard" may be correlated to ones "Hacking" ability, whether that means actually programming or general tech tinkering ability.
KermMartian wrote:
Will_W wrote:
Musicians dress up because we're performers. I wouldn't dress up for a rehearsal (unless I was going to a rehearsal of a piece I wrote), although I still want to look decent to make a good impression and get my music played.
Indeed, because you feel that a good impression makes people respect you when they see you, before they even get a chance to evaluate your skills. So wherefore the divide? Merth, some thoughts?
Dressing up for a performance is like dressing up for a presentation. Dressing up for rehearsal is like dressing up for work. As some of the commenters on that article noted, there's a difference between dressing up and looking decent. I wear quality clothing that's not ripped or disgusting. That's important. You shouldn't dress ratty, but that doesn't mean you should always need to "dress to impress". There are situations where dressing up is a good idea, and I don't think going into work is one of them.

That being said, I've definitely been in ensembles where what we decided to wear was "just whatever". This was more common in the new music ensembles.
I've never been to a new music concert where the performers didn't dress up, although it probably depends on the venue; I usually go to new music concerts at a concert hall, or eyedrum, which is a less formal place, but people still dress up there.
KermMartian wrote:
I thought that only referred to RM Stallman, no? Although this old-school hacker that I was thinking of did indeed have a fairly impressive beard, come to think of it.

http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/tamir/archive/2008/04/28/computer-languages-and-facial-hair-take-two.aspx
While I may not be "professional" by most standards, I personally like to wear saggy shorts and tee shirt/polo.

Qwerty.55 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

Since when were they even called "programmers"?
Elfprince, thanks for sharing that beards article and giving me a much-needed laugh in the ER. Smile While we're discussing hygiene and clothing and stuff, actually, any opinions on things like facial hair and hygiene and programming? Do we all agree that being clean and stuff is important to being a coder, even if suits are omitted? I know at least some of us that aren't interested in being clean-shaven for their jobs, but I personally feel like I'm being messy if I'm not clean-shaven when I go to work.
Being "clean and stuff" is important to everyone. If you're gross, stop being gross. As for being clean shaven, that's really just preference. I didn't start sporting a beard until about a year ago, but I keep it clean and kempt. It actually seems to suit me well, given the reponse I've gotten from it. I think it really just depends on the person, and the person's ability to grow a beard (compare Keanu Reeves and Zack Galifianakis).
All of the men in my sax quartet have beards.
Will_W, and Merth has a beard! Maybe besides programming language success, beards are also an indication of musical aptitude? Merth, indeed, definitely agreed on the cleanliness, and I'd be surprised if we find anyone here who disagrees.
Sadly, I have been forbade from cultivating my facial hair.
elfprince13 wrote:
Sadly, I have been forbade from cultivating my facial hair.
Heh, my female companions, perhaps? I used to be under just such a stricture, not that I needed it much; apparently kissing spiky-faced people is unpleasant.
KermMartian wrote:
Heh, my female companions, perhaps? I used to be under just such a stricture, not that I needed it much; apparently kissing spiky-faced people is unpleasant.

"shark-face: a phenomenon in which ones face is pleasant to touch in one direction, but not the other"
I have seen an increase in female attention since growing mine. While it was still in the early stages this wasn't there, but since it's become a real beard it's helped.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours