We all have our opinions Smile

As people start listening to more dubstep though, I start overhearing songs, forcing me to find more artists. Plus I think a lot of dubstep artists music sounds the same as thier other music. Like Skrillex's songs sound the same (most of them imo.) I like Feed Me and Knife Party though since noone else I know listens to them. And I think their music varies. And yes, Deadmau5 is easy to relax to, especially Waking up from the American Dream.
I personally wouldn't call dubstep music to relax to; for me, it is more music to get psyched with, or music to make me feel rhythmic and/or productive. I respect your opinion, though, and I'm glad you agree that some of the recent dubstep has gotten quite monotonous.
Deadmau5 is more house though.
Some dubstep songs actually have pretty nice rhythms, but I just can't stand the EXTREMELY repetitive lyrics. (and the fact that some of the songs have literally 3 different words in them)

I feel like this is relevant.
It's been a while since my last post in this thread; how I would respond to the topic at hand in the sense of maturity has changed, but my general opinion stands: that being, I cannot stand dubstep.

My opinion is that preceding dance genres such as Eurobeat, Italo Disco, and Italo House were far superior, donning what I see to be a larger focus on melody rather than "dropping the bass", getting together a cool percussion line, and all around just being more interesting to me.
That is a cool video comicIDIOT. I like it.
All dubstep sounds the same: R2D2 making out with a fax machine.
16aroth6 wrote:
All dubstep sounds the same: R2D2 making out with a fax machine.
Sounds like a comment from someone not understanding what music is. Every music is just noise, produced by a violin or a computer, that is organized according to rules. And of course, if you don't know those rules, you only hear indistinguishible noise in dubstep and other electronic music.

I know those rules and as long as they are followed, I can listen to any music from any genre with or without lyrics, with or without computer, with or without instruments.

Of course, I don't say that every music is worth the same, some have more research than others, and the choice is not bound to only genres or artists (taking the example of Muse, according to me Knights of Cydonia was something great but Uprising was crap where the guitar did not play a lot of notes, the bass was unheard and even the singer only does 3 notes in the refrain).
So there is no "dubstep is bad" or "Muse is great", nor the contrary, but "some of dubstep is great, some of dubstep is bad and same for Muse, and same for other genres and other artists".

tl;dr: You can't discriminate a song from its artist or genre, you have to listen to it before saying it is good or bad (taking two simple words on purpose).
A lot of dubstep doesn't seem to have any rules. There's no traditional theory that it appears to adhere by. Now, if you were to locate a tutorial or a music theory article for making dubstep that'd be awesome.

I will admit that when dubstep is done right, it's amazing. But a majority of dubstep is haphazardly slapped together.
For example, at the beginning of this one (don't even know if that is dubstep), there are two notes that are a bit off, but if you keep on counting, the next note comes where it has to come, so even though it is a bit disturbing, it is still following the rules if you look at it in a global way, not just note per note Smile

But could you provide examples of dubstep music where there seem to be no rule ? I'd like to listen to "challenging music" Wink
I will admit, I failed to produce my own but your link is a good example to what I would have linked to. I managed to find some better examples of amazing Dubstep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLhEjllbU3E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2srkywOWP98
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHjpOzsQ9YI

Your link, has a primary beat but it has other sound clips laid on top of it that have no rhyme or reason. Your example holds a good beat from 1:23 onward but almost everything before that was horrid and I would skip, or not buy, a song because of that.
comicIDIOT wrote:
Your link, has a primary beat but it has other sound clips laid on top of it that have no rhyme or reason. Your example holds a good beat from 1:23 onward but almost everything before that was horrid and I would skip, or not buy, a song because of that.
Only listened to the first one you linked, but that sounds much more like House than Dubstep to me.

As for Hayleia's suggestion, I disagree with your assessment that it lacks rhythm in the opening section. It's there, just perhaps uses sampling more heavily. That is, I'd say it uses samples as an instrument in their own right.

Just because I'm wondering now, what do you think of comaduster, then?
The only Dubstep artist/band I like is Stratovarius. However, they only made 1 song that contains dubstep (the solo), everything else being power metal.
Dubstep, as a genre, is absolutely terrible.
Dubstep is awesome because one of my friends beatboxes dubstep
ordelore wrote:
Dubstep is awesome because one of my friends beatboxes dubstep

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
Ashbad wrote:
It's been a while since my last post in this thread; how I would respond to the topic at hand in the sense of maturity has changed, but my general opinion stands: that being, I cannot stand dubstep.

My opinion is that preceding dance genres such as Eurobeat, Italo Disco, and Italo House were far superior, donning what I see to be a larger focus on melody rather than "dropping the bass", getting together a cool percussion line, and all around just being more interesting to me.

Why not both?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8wryxgfAMM
I do not like most dubstep, however I really like this song

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours