It would be cool if we could get credits for posts and then change the user name colors. and styles. Like make them bold underline italics. etc. ALso change colors and styles and the name of our subtitles. My other forum uses VB shop.

Just thought it would be cool. Also mayb inplement an emblem system.
I think we had another thread for this type of stuff, so perhaps posting there instead will get more recognition. Anyways, here's what I think of your suggestions:

Credit for posts: I'm assuming this is like Omnimaga's 'Post Ratings' system? If so, I think that's the worst idea ever created by man and should be burned with fire.

EDIT: My -r-a-n-t- reason why: people then start way more projects than they can handle, post a screenshot every single line of code they make, and never actually finish anything, since they feel they need to compete to have a ton of points. People also get jealous when you get a lot of points, and try to undermine your score so they can pass you. They also live in fear of never saying anything truthful, since they may get a -1 or more on their post for being blunt. It splits friendships, generates rivalries, and further cultivates trolls. And I therefore hate it. It is the epitome of failed ideas and has ruined a multitude of sites in it's wrath. I would prefer our civil site of Cemetech remaining the civil little site it is.

User name colors: If it didn't get too wild, then I'd be for it, though I don't think it would make much of a difference in a coolness factor.

Emblem system: not quite sure what you mean; the name brings to mind a few possible things it could be (maybe like badges or something? -- which sounds somewhat cool), but do please explain.
No the post rating Is not like that. I dont know omnimagas system but on Diablo2.com It is by number of posts and also number of likes you have to your post. And the double posts automerge together to prevent spamming.
eheh, no post ratings is fine for me at is it. I dont think we want people complaining over and over times over how their post wasn't liked or something.
I'm pretty particular to not having post ratings. Though if one were implemented, it should be based automatically off of words per post, and number of posts. Something that would have TRUE meaning, not something that people liked your post and stuff like that.
For username styles, I think it would be distracting, especially since the Cemetech theme doesn't have many colors of its own. I personally like not having post ratings here because of some side effects of adding them.
OK. It was just a thought to liven up the forum a little.
Let's liven it up with some awesome program development instead Smile

Or maybe a cool hardware project you are working on. We can liven it up and keep it on topic Very Happy
OK. Althought technology that would be program development. lol
tifreak8x wrote:

Or maybe a cool hardware project you are working on. We can liven it up and keep it on topic Very Happy

++

Much better than stupid competition for respect ratings.
Cemetech is based on the quality of posts, so I consider us higher-quality compared with other sites, even if our quantity of posts is smaller than other sites. I think any system that outright encourages spamming is a detraction, and I don't like colors and fonts and stuff anyway. It's bad enough some of the obnoxious signatures that people design. Wink
That's why you use C6M Very Happy I agree with the above, saying that post rating systems are awful. I've already seen it fail on other websites, like Omnimaga, for the obvious reasons that: it's so easy to give respect without actually thinking if it is worth it, and it becomes a game. Not to mention, the downrating is absolutely terrible because people get upset over it. And I prefer a nice, consistent UI, so I'm against the username coloring, etc. We already have those little circles by the names and titles based on number of posts.
Regarding the negatives of upranking as a popularity contest/game and downranking hurting people's feelings, I think that's a great justification for DecBot only having a way to increment things. I'm happy that in general people are respectful and sane about their use of DecBot, but we have even a subset of the already mature Cemetech crowd on IRC, so I could easily see post ratings / user ratings on the forums getting out of hand. I'm glad that we're all in agreement on this.
Ok. Well then I kinda have to agree with you then. Not much choice in the matter.
plus, we are starting to get some more omnimaga people on cemetech recently (btw, what is up with that? O-o) so I think that they would be the ones to start something over likes

you want the forums lived up, Aes? Go to edit profile and change the scheme to CemetechRetro Very Happy
qazz42 wrote:
plus, we are starting to get some more omnimaga people on cemetech recently (btw, what is up with that? O-o) so I think that they would be the ones to start something over likes

Actually, most of who have migrated are very much against them.
Ashbad wrote:
qazz42 wrote:

Actually, most of who have migrated are very much against them.
To build off of what Ashbad is trying to say, I think that a lot of the Omnimaga users who have been coming over to Cemetech lately have been doing so to find a community with a bit of an older, more mature userbase (which I think both sites would agree is one of the main differences between the two). Indeed, one day two weeks ago two separate new transplants privately contacted me to mention that they were unhappy with how things were going there, including stifling of criticisms and an implicit rule enforced by higher-ups to not discuss Cemetech, although this of course is about third-hand news, and quite likely to be inaccurate. At any rate, let's not get sidetracked with community drama; Cemetech has been doing a decent job of keeping itself out of the recent Omnimaga drama, I believe.
heh, seems fair enough. Can't exactly blame them now, can you?

anywho, back to what tifrak said, let's liven this place up Very Happy *topics about programs here*
tifreak8x wrote:

This! Awesome program development would be an excellent idea. And I still have a few surprise projects I want to make some progress on once (if ever) I have some free time.
KermMartian wrote:
Cemetech is based on the quality of posts, so I consider us higher-quality compared with other sites, even if our quantity of posts is smaller than other sites. I think any system that outright encourages spamming is a detraction, and I don't like colors and fonts and stuff anyway. It's bad enough some of the obnoxious signatures that people design. Wink

I do rather like the rating idea, however, it shouldn't be a rate up/down system like reddit or omnimaga. At reddit it just encourages drama and trolling, and at omnimaga it encourages banning and bawwwing.

It should just be a simple rate up system, similar to a facebook "like"

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours